Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: ASRock 990FX "black screen" failure to BIOS ?

Vykker is offline Junior Member

Default ASRock 990FX "black screen" failure to BIOS ?

Good Morning internet world,
    It is 4/11/2014 and I am seeking some sincere advice from the PC-head community, in regards to a start-up error.

After putting together a new PC build I am having (an apparently common ) issue, where upon “start-up”/pressing the power button, all the devices seem to power up, fans spin, CD open/closes, Video-Card fans spinning, HDD sound active, but the Video-Card seems to send no active signal to my monitor. The monitor just stays blank in sleep mode.
    That is a basic description of the issue, here is the most accurate list of hardware that can compose of the components I installed.

Motherboard ASRock 990FX Extreme3
    CPU AMD FX-8320 “Black Edition” 8-core (125 watt I believe)
    4 x 4 Corsair VengeanceLP DDR3 1600MHz - (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory (CML16GX3M4A1600C9)
    XFX Radeon HD-6570 2GB DDR – Video Card
    HDD Western Digital VelcioRapter 10k RPM 250GB new
    PSU CoolerMaster GXII 650watt

Unique circumstances for those who may not be familiar with this MotherBoard include the fact that it has no video output, or built in videocard/processor, unlike most others which do. Although I can see the benefits of this, since we all install an “after-market” videocard anyway, it is making this build a bit more difficult than anticipated for me.
    I am unsure as to what potential compatibility issue it could be that is holding the PC up from sending a signal to the PCIe Slot to the videocard/monitor, and without access to a screen I cannot access the BIOS to check, or alter any settings.

The reviews I have read have often stated that the issue is due to 1 of 3 factors.
    1. Out dated BIOS for the CPU
    2. Potential BIOS error due to selected DRAM
    3. Other hardware voltage (CPU,DRAM) conflicts [corrected in BIOS]
    I am no expert, and although this is my first time building a PC from brand new parts, I have “rebuilt” a few other practice PC’s without too many issues before this.
    So far ASRock support is 1st class mailing me a new/updated BIOS chip to install into the motherboard, since flashing isn’t really an option without a working monitor/video signal.
    I am looking for other suggestions that could be causing this issue before having to swap this small delicate chip out. It would also be nice to have another plan of action in case swapping this chip out does not remedy the issue.

Ideally, I would just like the PC to start-up, go to its BIOS menu and allow me to set a few options to install Win 7 64-bit from my CD drive. After that is successfully completed I hope to install my music production software, and go to town having a grand old time.
    If there is any other information I can provide to assist in diagnosing an incompatibility please let me know. I apologize in advanced if my info does not show up in my "I.D."

Sincerest Regards
    Vykker’s Laboratory

Default Re: ASRock 990FX "black screen" failure to BIOS ?

Been here done this I have.

Clear the BIOS and retry.

Clear the BIOS between each suggested atempt below.
    1. Using only two sticks place them in DDR3_A2 and DDR3_B2
    2. That fails place them in DDR3_A1 and DDR3_B1
    3. That fails place one stick in DDR3_A1

Test the video card in another computer.

Failing all the above remove it from the case, build it upon the bare box the MB came in using only the bare minimum and test.
    #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
    ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - G.Skill RAM Configurator for your boardSamsung Memory for your boardLatest AMD Chipset Drivers/WindowsLatest AMD Graphics Drivers/WindowsLatest Intel Drivers

#3 - Please use the eXtreme Outer Vision Power Supply Calculator found HERE to determine if it might be your PSU at issue.
    ____Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Thank you for your time and quick reply,

I only have a couple more days to work on this before I am insanely busy.
    Just so I fully understand, Clearing the BIOS is done by completely disconnecting the PSU from the M/B, and using the CMOS jumper on the board, like it shows in the manual ?
    Also the Radeon HD6570 that I am using is one of the only parts that is from the HP desktop that I am trying to replace and retire. The fact that this graphics card worked fine in that HP should not be a problem, and show that the card was working. Does it matter that this card use the PCIe x16 slot which is the 2nd expansion slot down on the 990FX ? And that the graphics card is not in the 1st slot on the M/B, which is only PCIe x1 ?

Or is the AMD FX-8320 really just that incompatible with this ASRock M/B that I should just buy a new M/B to solve this issue ?

I apologize for the series of questions, but I have to pack as much of a conversation and discussion into one post as I can, since my replies cannot be as hasty at the moment.

Sincerest regards to any and all who are reading and contributing to this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Vykker View Post
    Or is the AMD FX-8320 really just that incompatible with this ASRock M/B that I should just buy a new M/B to solve this issue ?
    In my just now looking at the CPU Support List for the 990FX Extreme3 the FX-8320 is NOT on the supported list.

IMO, yes, you might probably should be looking for a motherboard that states/shows support for that 8320 you have.
    #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
    ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - G.Skill RAM Configurator for your boardSamsung Memory for your boardLatest AMD Chipset Drivers/WindowsLatest AMD Graphics Drivers/WindowsLatest Intel Drivers

#3 - Please use the eXtreme Outer Vision Power Supply Calculator found HERE to determine if it might be your PSU at issue.
    ____Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Motherboards - AMD Platform

I am not sure on all the statistics to check and double check, The socket is good on that board is the only 100% knowledge that I have. I got myself in a bit over my head on this one.
    Other than that I saw on Newegg that it had my CPU with this board as a combo package, when I went back to the site to get more info about my CPU. Not sure how hopeful that is, but maybe it is an indication that this AsUs M/B might actually get to the BIOS screen once it's hooked up with my FX-8320.

I do not like how all these high-end M/Bs come with NO built in video. It makes me fear I am just going to have the same issue as this current M/B in the end. I would really just like a nice M/B that someone knows for certain will operate with my FX-8320 in it's natural/default mode. No updating BIOS, No contacting support, No flashing my junk, just plug it in, hook up, turn on. Might be too much to ask.

Thanks again for all your assistance.

NewEgg and their Combo Deals have on ocassion led many astray in that I don't believe NewEgg themselves checks compatibility.

That, and I do believe at one one point in time ASRock did briefly list some(?) 125W FX processors in the compatibility list for this board. Did, as in they don't anymore. Pulled the 125W ones anyways as IMO they probably found the 4+1 power delivery of the board not up to reliably powering the 125W FX's.

As for recc's on MB's, the Asus Sabertooth 990FX r2.0, M5A99FX Pro r2.0 and ASRock 990FX Extreme9. And I'm sure others. The 990FX Extreme9 I can recommend highly as I have one running here and can guarantee it has the oomph to power your 8320, assuming you have a befitting and quality PSU to power it. Your current CoolerMaster GXII 650w is up to it.

I hear ya. No vid out on a new build is a PITA to even experienced builders. Add to that you most likely don't have the spare part inventory the experienced ones have and that makes for a bleak dreary tedious drawn out process.

parsec is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vykker View Post
    Motherboards - AMD Platform

I am not sure on all the statistics to check and double check, The socket is good on that board is the only 100% knowledge that I have. I got myself in a bit over my head on this one.
    Other than that I saw on Newegg that it had my CPU with this board as a combo package, when I went back to the site to get more info about my CPU. Not sure how hopeful that is, but maybe it is an indication that this AsUs M/B might actually get to the BIOS screen once it's hooked up with my FX-8320.

I do not like how all these high-end M/Bs come with NO built in video. It makes me fear I am just going to have the same issue as this current M/B in the end. I would really just like a nice M/B that someone knows for certain will operate with my FX-8320 in it's natural/default mode. No updating BIOS, No contacting support, No flashing my junk, just plug it in, hook up, turn on. Might be too much to ask.

Thanks again for all your assistance.
    First, your Corsair memory (CML16GX3M4A1600C9) is not listed in your board's memory support list, or any Corsair CML model. That means it will be luck or chance if it works with the CPU/board. Any memory not listed in the support list will be questionable regarding its functioning in that system, unless you pass POST, get video to your monitor, are able to install Windows, etc. This is true regardless of what the memory manufactures states about compatibility, the bottom line is the support list or your own experience with a certain model of memory. So IMO you have not gotten past determining if your memory is compatible or not. But you may have another issue or mistake that is holding you back.

Checking some Newegg reviews on your board, I find several that say an 8320 works with this board, and I did not check more than two pages out of 33. I found one that said an 8350 works with this board. The reality is as wardog stated, an 8320 is not incompatible with this board, but the reality of the power requirements of this (and other) processors, and the heat they generate under high load or when over clocked, is beyond the ability of this board to handle without owner intervention. Which means a superior CPU cooler and above average PC case cooling. Even that is not enough to allow an 8320 to be over clocked, due to the four plus one power phase design, which is to weak to handle that load. I suspect that AMD may have underestimated the real world power usage of the top 8300 series processors, or the mother board manufactures mistakenly believed they could get away with a small VRM design for CPU power.

Which reminds me, did you connect the four or eight pin CPU power cable from the PSU to the mother board? That cable is required to provide power to the CPU, as well as the usual 24 pin mother board power cable.

Regarding on-board video on a mother board, the CPU industry has changed over the past few years in the way "on-board video" is implemented. In the past, mother boards had a video chip included on the board itself, as part of the processor's support chipset. For a few years now, the video chip has become part of the CPU itself, and the support chipset does not have video capability. High end processors from AMD and Intel do not have video included with the processor. That is the situation you find yourself in now. Some AMD boards have a video chip included on the mother board, but that is not a given.

Sorry to say, building a high end PC is not a 100% plug and play endeavor. Research and planning are necessary, particularly if you're not familiar with current hardware trends. Also, can a mother board whose retail price is ~$125 be considered high-end? IMO no, the four + one phase, single VRM heat sink design answers that question, sorry to say.

Thank you for that bit of information.

parsec, I did take the time to check the manuals and to the best of my knowledge checked the Pin #'s to Slot #'s on the ASRock M/B and plugged in the 8-pin connection to supply power to the CPU.

I see that my last post did not correctly link the new M/B that I am looking at, so here are the numbers for it:
    ASUS SABERTOOTH 990FX R2.0 AM3+ AMD 990FX

Chipset: AMD 990FX + SB950
    Memory: DDR3 1866/1600/1333/1066 - Duel Channel

I clearly see my FX-8320 on the AsUs Support list for this M/B. I saw a lower end AsUs model that also supported my CPU, but with all the positive reviews and additional information I gathered from the reviews for this M/B, I am certain that this is the one I want now, as long as everything else checks out first.

I'll just use this AsUs instead of the ASRock I purchased. The only thing I could not clearly see, is if the Corsair Vengeance 1600 4 x 4 RAM sticks I have are "Directly" supported by this AsUs board ? If my RAM is not "Directly" supported by this board, than should I just try the ones I have, and hope for the best ? If these fail than I can just replace them with "supported" RAM sticks.

Sincerest Regards, and enjoy your day,
    Vykker's Laboratory
    Last edited by Vykker; 04-14-2014 at 10:06 PM.

parsec is offline Senior Member

It looks like a very similar Corsair model of memory, the CML16GX3M4X1600C8, is in the ASUS memory support list. Just a difference in one of the memory timings, C8 vs your C9. A very slightly relaxed timing should make no difference, it's the basic construction of the DIMM that matters.

One could ask, why would this memory work in the ASUS board, and not in the ASRock. The memory controller is in the CPU, and the same chipset is used, so what is the difference? Memory compatibility is almost a "black art", like magic, but is really knowledge and information gaps that make it seem that way. It is still very possible that something else is causing the PC to not start, and cause no video output.

I'm still skeptical that the 8320 will simply not work in the ASRock board, but you have moved on. The ASUS board has an eight plus two VRM design, which will be more robust. You can see a similar situation regarding CPU compatibility with the ASUS board, the new AMD 9370 and 9590 processors must be used with additional cooling, and have "limitations", meaning how much they can be OC'd.

Quote Originally Posted by parsec View Post
    I'm still skeptical that the 8320 will simply not work in the ASRock board, but you have moved on. The ASUS board has an eight plus two VRM design, which will be more robust. You can see a similar situation regarding CPU compatibility with the ASUS board, the new AMD 9370 and 9590 processors must be used with additional cooling, and have "limitations", meaning how much they can be OC'd.
    Like you parsec with your approach to memory compatibility I'm persnickety when it comes to boards showing CPU compatibility. I too saw those reviews yet the Extreme3 employing only a 4+1 power scheme leaves me wondering just how many of those reviewers system are throttling, either due to heat or more likely the VRM's limiters themselves kicking in. Plus I knew ASRock had removed the 125w FX's from the compatibility list.

And talk about vagueness ""Due to the high TDP, please be noted there are limitations while using this CPU(i.e. special thermal required..)" JWTF does that mean? AMD concerning the 220w FX-93xx procs had distributed design specs/standards that had(needed?!?) to met to be certified for use with the 220w FX's. I'm not asking, but is that statement there an Asus CYA?

Seriously "limitations" and "ie: special thermal required" ???? Possibly an admittance the VRM's aren't up to the task and need cooled via 3rd party cooling solution. Nonsense as the 220w Fx procs were preceeded with their own well know before motherboard production AMD design specs/standards.

Rant Mode / Off

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information