Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 990fx extreme 9 wont recognize usb thumb drives

Default 990fx extreme 9 wont recognize usb thumb drives

I just purchased my asrock 990fx extreme 9 motherboard.

I am having the issue of it will not recognize usb flash drives when they are plugged into the mother board. its gives me a windows does not recognize it.
    i have tried the following.

updated the bios

loaded all the drivers from the cd that came with the motherboard.

all the usb ports are enabled in the bios along with legacy options.

when looking at the eltron usb drivers i noticed windows 8 drivers being installed. I am running windows 7 ultimate 64bit. so i removed the windows 8 drivers and installed windows 7 drivers. problem is still an issue.

i have contacted the place i purchased the mother board and they said it could be the motherboard itself.

has anyone had this same issue, if so what was the fix.

Thanks,

Default Re: 990fx extreme 9 wont recognize usb thumb drives

Is this happening on ALL USB 2.0 and 3.0 ports, both front and the ones at the rear?
    #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
    ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - G.Skill RAM Configurator for your boardSamsung Memory for your boardLatest AMD Chipset Drivers/WindowsLatest AMD Graphics Drivers/WindowsLatest Intel Drivers

#3 - Please use the eXtreme Outer Vision Power Supply Calculator found HERE to determine if it might be your PSU at issue.
    ____Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Quote Originally Posted by asrock990fx View Post
    I just purchased my asrock 990fx extreme 9 motherboard.

I am having the issue of it will not recognize usb flash drives when they are plugged into the mother board. its gives me a windows does not recognize it.
    i have tried the following.

updated the bios

loaded all the drivers from the cd that came with the motherboard.

all the usb ports are enabled in the bios along with legacy options.

when looking at the eltron usb drivers i noticed windows 8 drivers being installed. I am running windows 7 ultimate 64bit. so i removed the windows 8 drivers and installed windows 7 drivers. problem is still an issue.

i have contacted the place i purchased the mother board and they said it could be the motherboard itself.

has anyone had this same issue, if so what was the fix.

Thanks,
    I also had problems with this. I ended up getting rid of Fast boot, and setting everything back to stock. Even then the USB 3 drivers didnt work. I had to use the regular 2.0 slot.
    I have since returned the MOBO, and am hoping that the replacement works. I am very pissed at ASROCK right now.
    If I dont get a good MOBO, i am gonna get an ASUS board and be done with it

Quote Originally Posted by jklaw68 View Post
    If I dont get a good MOBO, i am gonna get an ASUS board and be done with it
    Like what? A Sabertooth? I've raed they too have seen their fair share of reported USB 3.0 problems.

**** happens. It's easier on the psyche to just get used to the idea that on occasion things don't work out as planned. Life is full of 'em, why make it harder.

I see Etron has again released the 118 drivers that they pulled awhile ago due to reasons unknown to me.
    Etron Technology, Inc.
    #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
    ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - G.Skill RAM Configurator for your boardSamsung Memory for your boardLatest AMD Chipset Drivers/WindowsLatest AMD Graphics Drivers/WindowsLatest Intel Drivers

#3 - Please use the eXtreme Outer Vision Power Supply Calculator found HERE to determine if it might be your PSU at issue.
    ____Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Quote Originally Posted by - wardog - View Post
    Like what? A Sabertooth? I've raed they too have seen their fair share of reported USB 3.0 problems.

**** happens. It's easier on the psyche to just get used to the idea that on occasion things don't work out as planned. Life is full of 'em, why make it harder.

I see Etron has again released the 118 drivers that they pulled awhile ago due to reasons unknown to me.
    Etron Technology, Inc.
    I originally wanted to get a formula-z but everyone was out of stock. I have had 2 of these mobos already and each time the board has arrived all scratched up from New Egg.
    As a matter of fact, I just sent the board back today, not even 2 hours after I got it. Im sure its not New Egg, the box it came in was not damaged, but the heat sinks looked like someone
    slid it across a table or something. I dunno, ASROCK needs better QA people. If I were trying to make a name for myself, i wouldnt be sending out scratched up mobos.
    Anyways, I have to wait for the replacement, and if this one is scratched up, Im getting a refund or credit, and will buy the formula z. There has to be SOME reason they are always sold out of em.

Curious. Did you take some pics and send them to ASRock Tech before returning the boards to NewEgg?

I don't understand these scratches. I've bought and built a few systems with the 990FX Extreme9 since building mine and cross my fingers haven't seen one yet in the condition you state.

I have seen some scratches on the protective plastic film that covers the tin shields over the sinks but that's only in the plastic. The plastic is meant to be removed when installed/used before powering the board. I've commented here before of ASRock needing to make that clear in the manual or better yet an overlay on the board somewhere, like covering the PCI slots so that it can't go unnoticed.

But here anyways, after carefully removing the plastic film they've looked like new, unscratched.

Wardog, you know if that is the case, Im such a dumbass, I thought the same thing at first (plastic cover), but there is no "flap" to take off the film, and I didnt want to ruin the sticker any more than it already was and in ALL of the unboxings I watched, no one mentioned taking off the protective film over the heatsinks. I guess Ill have to see when the next board comes. If that is the case, TELL NO ONE, or I will have to hunt you down...LOL

Quote Originally Posted by jklaw68 View Post
    Wardog, you know if that is the case, Im such a dumbass, I thought the same thing at first (plastic cover), but there is no "flap" to take off the film, and I didnt want to ruin the sticker any more than it already was and in ALL of the unboxings I watched, no one mentioned taking off the protective film over the heatsinks. I guess Ill have to see when the next board comes. If that is the case, TELL NO ONE, or I will have to hunt you down...LOL
    Have no fear. Your secret is safe. Hopefully your next board works as it should.

Best I can figure is the covers are stamped and then binned for later use. Then, while waiting to be attached, the process of settling while in the bin they tend to rub and scratch up each other, hence the protective plastic film applied. I will say this particular board, the 990FX Extreme9, these plastic covers seem to be mauled over more that what I'm used to seeing on the other boards I've built with. That leaves me wondering if they are stamped at a remote site and this plastic scratching is exacerbated while in transit to final assembly. ie: the apparent angles and degrees that the scratches are oriented on them doesn't look like the board w/tin covers installed was used for floor hockey.

That film is clingy, yet brittle if stretched too far. I use a small plastic spudge to coax it up and around corners.

Oh. If you think you missed any use a bright LED flashlight and shine around them. The spectrum emitted by the LED's make any remaining plastic stand out and almost glow a blue'ish hue.

But for sure remove it/them. Plastic is not a good conductor of heat.

Quote Originally Posted by - wardog - View Post
    Is this happening on ALL USB 2.0 and 3.0 ports, both front and the ones at the rear?
    yes it happens on both the 2.0 and 3.0. since then i have removed the mother board and took it back to microcenter and they exchanged it with anther one.
    this MB does the same thing with the usb flashdrive. i have taken it to a guy i work with and his computer the thumb drive also gives a windows error code of 43. so i think the usb drive has went bad. not sure how it worked fine when i dumped things to it to reinstall on my pc after putting it together, it worked fine on my older asus MB.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information