Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: 970 Extreme3 w/AMD FX6100 Hardware Virtualization

Default 970 Extreme3 w/AMD FX6100 Hardware Virtualization

I tried to set up a Xen Hypervisor on this board, but it cannot be seen and Xen fails to start up. There appear to be settings in BIOS for hardware virtualization. I believe I've read that it is capable of it. Anybody have any knowledge or experience about running a hypervisor on this board?

Default Re: 970 Extreme3 w/AMD FX6100 Hardware Virtualization

Quote Originally Posted by SleepingDog View Post
    There appear to be settings in BIOS for hardware virtualization.
    I trust the plurality in your appear to be settings is in reference to the below two BIOS options:

CPU Config - Secure Virtual Machine; Enabled
    North Bridge Config - IOMMU; Enabled
    #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
    ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - G.Skill RAM Configurator for your boardSamsung Memory for your boardLatest AMD Chipset Drivers/WindowsLatest AMD Graphics Drivers/WindowsLatest Intel Drivers

#3 - Please use the eXtreme Outer Vision Power Supply Calculator found HERE to determine if it might be your PSU at issue.
    ____Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Thank you for your reply.

Your assumption is correct. Sorry, I was in a rush when I made my post and I wasn't as thorough and specific as I would like.

Both of those are enabled. I also disabled "Cool and Quiet" as I read somewhere that that feature can interfere with performance when using a hypervisor with this hardware.

I am attempting to use Xen in Debian Wheezy. What I get is a lot of error messages that go by too fast to read when I boot. They seem to say that the CPU state cannot be determined, etc. Then I get dumped out at a GUI linux desktop log in. Once logged in, I can run a console window, but none of the Xen commands (xm, etc) are recognized,and if I try to go out to a full linux terminal via Crtl-Alt-F1, F2, etc, I get only a black screen where the monitor appears to not be receiving signal at all. (LED on monitor begins to flash, which it typically does if the PC has gone into sleep mode and is not sending video to the monitor.)

Follow along and or simply check the informative tips this page offers:

Comprehensive Xen Debian Wheezy PCI Passthrough Tutorial - Xen
    #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
    ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - G.Skill RAM Configurator for your boardSamsung Memory for your boardLatest AMD Chipset Drivers/WindowsLatest AMD Graphics Drivers/WindowsLatest Intel Drivers

#3 - Please use the eXtreme Outer Vision Power Supply Calculator found HERE to determine if it might be your PSU at issue.
    ____Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Thanks a lot. I followed a beginner's giude from the same site, but this looks like it might have what I missed. I'll give it s shot this weekend and post back.

LOL I had a heck of a time and asrock staff has been completely ignoragant when i have messaged them about this issue. So after months of complaining and they were no help at all. I just had to play around with this.... THe board is completely wacked to enable the VT, disabled the virtualaztion... If its enabled t will show disabled, if its disabled it wil show enabled. You can even verify ths by checking it with like pc doc, speecy, or even ms system info

Thread Information