Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: New Crucial M500 SSD not showing in Bios

Default New Crucial M500 SSD not showing in Bios

This is my first post. I am doing a build for an HTPC. The SSD i am using works. I formatted it in another computer. This is not my first build either so i know how to install things with out breaking them. I am not sure if it is a bios setting that i am missing or what. When i boot in ACHI mode it just hangs but when i attach my other hard drive it lets me into bios. Any ideas?

Thanks for reading.

parsec is offline Senior Member

Default Re: New Crucial M500 SSD not showing in Bios

The complete lack of information about the mother board you are currently using, OS, etc, makes it next to impossible to help.

The M500 was formatted on another PC, which is? Formatted means just that, so an empty drive?

It sounds like the M500 is failing POST for some reason, since you can't get into the BIOS, which you should be able to do without any drives connected.

Quote Originally Posted by parsec View Post
    The complete lack of information about the mother board you are currently using, OS, etc, makes it next to impossible to help.

The M500 was formatted on another PC, which is? Formatted means just that, so an empty drive?

It sounds like the M500 is failing POST for some reason, since you can't get into the BIOS, which you should be able to do without any drives connected.
    Thanks for the quick response. The mother board is a asrock fm2a88x-itx+ I put my computer specs in when I registered so thought that would show up. I can get into bios no problem but my drives just do not show up. I have a second hard drive that shows up in boot sequence but does not show up in list of sata drives In bios (both of these hds are brand new and empty).

I am trying to install windows 8.1 pro. This is a new build so there is no OS installed yet. When is start to install windows the second drive shows up as an option but not the ssd which makes sense because it's not in bios anywhere. I put the ssd in a usb external enclosure to see if if would work in other computer and it did. I posted in the asrock section of this forum because I think is a motherboard issue. I do have latest version of bios as well.

Figures you put in your system specs and they did not show, sorry about that.

Do you plan on using AHCI mode? If you want to use RAID mode, you would need to install the SATA Floppy Image ver:6.1.0.00117 driver during the installation.

I'm not familiar with your board's BIOS, do you need to set the SATA ports to AHCI, etc, individually or in sets?

Your board has a mSATA connector, is that shared with any of the SATA ports, and that one would not work?

Sometimes with a new board and new Windows installation, the drives aren't seen by the BIOS until after the installation. If you want your OS on the SSD, I would only connect the SSD to the board (or just remove the power cable from the HDD) since Windows will put the MBR on a drive other than the target OS drive, for some annoying reason. If you later removed that HDD or it failed, Windows will no longer boot. That can be repaired but why deal with that if it can be avoided.

Since both drives cannot be seen in the BIOS, but at least one is in the Windows 8.1 installer, try it with only the SSD connected and powered up, it may then be seen by the installer.

If you checked the SATA power cable and tried different SATA data cables with no change, you can try loading the SATA Floppy Image ver:6.1.0.00117 driver even if you just use AHCI mode.

Quote Originally Posted by parsec View Post
    Figures you put in your system specs and they did not show, sorry about that.

Do you plan on using AHCI mode? If you want to use RAID mode, you would need to install the SATA Floppy Image ver:6.1.0.00117 driver during the installation.

I'm not familiar with your board's BIOS, do you need to set the SATA ports to AHCI, etc, individually or in sets?

Your board has a mSATA connector, is that shared with any of the SATA ports, and that one would not work?

Sometimes with a new board and new Windows installation, the drives aren't seen by the BIOS until after the installation. If you want your OS on the SSD, I would only connect the SSD to the board (or just remove the power cable from the HDD) since Windows will put the MBR on a drive other than the target OS drive, for some annoying reason. If you later removed that HDD or it failed, Windows will no longer boot. That can be repaired but why deal with that if it can be avoided.

Since both drives cannot be seen in the BIOS, but at least one is in the Windows 8.1 installer, try it with only the SSD connected and powered up, it may then be seen by the installer.

If you checked the SATA power cable and tried different SATA data cables with no change, you can try loading the SATA Floppy Image ver:6.1.0.00117 driver even if you just use AHCI mode.
    It has 3 options when selecting HD set up. There is IDE AHCI and RAID. I have tried it with all of them and no luck. Windows installer sees the second hard drive but not the SSD. The second hard drive does not show in bios as an available drive but it does allow me to chose this Hard drive as a bootable drive in boot options, so thats a bit strange. i have tried other sata cables with no luck.

The mSATA connector has a wireless/bluetooth device in it. SO its used by that. Other than that there are 6 sata ports. I put a SSD in the laptop i am using and it booted right up no problem, it just worked. So i figured this would be the same. I attached other HD's in these sata slots to make sure that they work working. I have not reset the CMOS yet which is another option but the case is so small that i would have to take everything apart to be able to do this. I can do it but just kind of a pain. I am confident that both the board and hard drive work. I will try your suggestion to load SATA floppy driver right now. I am confused as to how to install this while in bios. Also where would i download this image and would it be a bootable image? I do know how to do that part of it if this is the case. I already made a USB bootable stick for my win8 since i dont have a CD drive installed in this. thanks again for the help. I will get back to you if i can load the image you suggested.

I just tried to load the drivers suggested and they did not work. I also found AHCI drivers on the AMD website that are quite new Problem is i am not sure if my board qualifies as a 700 series or higher board (not sure which to use). Also the driver you download from there site is a .exe file. Would this work when prompted to install driver in windows 8.1 startup? I put the link to these drivers below so you can see what im talking about. Thanks

AMD Chipset Drivers

SO i just got it working And im happy it works but extremely angry/annoyed at same time. So i bought 3 sata cables from Amazon. 5 star reviews figured they would work. Everything happening was just making no sense especially with intermittent connection of other drives. SO early when i said i tried different cables, which i did. I tried all three. Well all three were crap. Just went out to buy new ones cause they are cheap. Kind of a hail mary maneuver at this point just to see if it would work and it did. Never would expect every cable i bought to be broken but i guess that happens sometimes. 10 hours of combined agony for 10 dollars worth of SATA Cables.

I am new to this post so i am not sure how to close a thread once its done

Nothing at all to worry about, you ended this thread on a perfect note.

You solved your problem and explained how that was done. The fact that it was a cable problem may seem trivial or even ridiculous, but it most certainly is not. Granted who would think three cables would all be bad, but given they were from the same batch and possibly from a questionable source, it is possible. Obviously the cables were not tested after manufacture or damaged when packaged.

I dislike the way SATA data cables are folded multiple times rather sharply when packaged, the single strand 26 gauge wire used can break all to easily. Given the simplicity of these cables, they are considered no big deal to manufacture. Their retail price is likely ten times the cost of manufacture. I wish a higher quality SATA data cable was available, even for $10 each it could be worth it.

The Intel RAID software that runs in Windows is able to correctly detect and display the actual SATA interface speed between a drive and a mother board. A new SATA III SSD I'm using that I happened to check was shown to be running at SATA II speeds. I ran a benchmark test on the SSD, and the results were indeed SATA II speeds for sequential read and write. The cable was new, short, and fit snug in the drive and SATA port. Changed the cable to a different make and I was back to SATA III speeds. While most people think there should be no difference between a SATA II and III cable (there actually are a few specs for this in the SATA specification) the difference is really one of the build quality of the cable, rather than the materials.

Many threads like this are never resolved by the OP, by stating what the resulting fix was. You did explain it, and gave us an example of what can happen with SATA data cables. Can't ask for more than that.

Thread Information