Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Z68 Extreme 4 Gen 3 - Max RAM slot usage - Onboard Ethernet Problem

Default Z68 Extreme 4 Gen 3 - Max RAM slot usage - Onboard Ethernet Problem

Hello, 1st post.

Today I took delivery of an addtional RAM upgrade (2x4GB) sticks.
    The new modules are identical to the existing 2 modules in my system.

Installed the additional memory. Powered up and logged in.

No ethernet cable detected, checked connection, tried different cable(s). Checked driver (device manager). Removed device and driver via device manager.
    Reinstalled device with older driver (no change), contemporary driver (no change).

Scrutinized socket carefully, carfully used air duster (no change).

Remove memory modules (ethernet cable now detected)
    Switched modules around (ethernet cable not detected)

As a fix I installed a spare PCI ethernet card which works fine, but I'm the sort of person that wants to know why something doesn't play along as expected.

Went through the BIOS and toggled the onboard LAN setting, booted both with disabled and again with re-enabled (no change).

Has anyone else experienced anything similar to this?

Many thanks
    AS Rock Z68 Extreme 4 Gen 3 - BIOS 2.20
    16GB DDR3 Corsair (4x4)
    Intel i5 2500k (clocked 4.6Ghz)
    BeQuiet Dark Rock Pro CPU cooler
    MSI Geforce GTX 760 4GB
    BENQ 22" Senseye 3 (x3)

Creative X-Fi Titanium HD soundcard
    Windows 7 64bit Pro SP1
    .NET 4.5
    256 Transcend SSD (AHCI mode) for OS and apps
    1TB Seagate HDD (file storage)
    4GB Xfast RAM disk

No swap (page file)

"Fish, and plankton. And sea greens, and protein from the sea. It's all here, ready. Fresh as harvest day."

parsec is offline Senior Member

Default Re: Z68 Extreme 4 Gen 3 - Max RAM slot usage - Onboard Ethernet Problem

You never mentioned if the new memory was recognized by the PC. I only ask in case it wasn't, as a symptom of the issue.

Did I read this right, "Switched modules around (ethernet cable not detected)", which I think means only the new memory modules, when inserted alone into the board cause the failure of the LAN connection?

That does seem like a strange problem. I don't have your board and have never heard of this issue before.

Quote Originally Posted by parsec View Post
    You never mentioned if the new memory was recognized by the PC. I only ask in case it wasn't, as a symptom of the issue.

Did I read this right, "Switched modules around (ethernet cable not detected)", which I think means only the new memory modules, when inserted alone into the board cause the failure of the LAN connection?

That does seem like a strange problem. I don't have your board and have never heard of this issue before.
    Yes to clarify the system (BIOS) and windows kernel detected the RAM; in reiteration, I tried the RAM modules in different slots, working through combinations with yet again the same result. I also tried taking out the older RAM and replacing it with the new thus providing the system with 8GB, when 8GB is installed, the onboard LAN port is fine. A 'full house' of RAM causes it not to repsond to the cable being plugged into the port. (Just plain weird).
    AS Rock Z68 Extreme 4 Gen 3 - BIOS 2.20
    16GB DDR3 Corsair (4x4)
    Intel i5 2500k (clocked 4.6Ghz)
    BeQuiet Dark Rock Pro CPU cooler
    MSI Geforce GTX 760 4GB
    BENQ 22" Senseye 3 (x3)

Creative X-Fi Titanium HD soundcard
    Windows 7 64bit Pro SP1
    .NET 4.5
    256 Transcend SSD (AHCI mode) for OS and apps
    1TB Seagate HDD (file storage)
    4GB Xfast RAM disk

No swap (page file)

"Fish, and plankton. And sea greens, and protein from the sea. It's all here, ready. Fresh as harvest day."

parsec is offline Senior Member

Ok, that is seemingly just crazy. But you never know...

So you have BIOS 2.20 now, did you flash to version 2.10 at some point? 2.10 is the Sandy Bridge to Ivy Bridge CPU compatibility change, which if not done correctly can cause problems, see this thread for more info:

http://forums.tweaktown.com/asrock/5...er-boards.html

If you skipped 2.10, and applied 2.20, the result is unknown, except doing so should not be done. The Intel IME firmware that is updated in BIOS 2.10 affects the CPU, and since the memory controller is part of the CPU, that could be affected.

There is also the new version of the Intel IME software that must be installed when using BIOS 2.10 and beyond, Intel Management Engine driver ver:8.0.2.1410, did you install that?

Next, are you using the XFastLAN software?

When the LAN connection fails, you don't seem to have any flagged issue for the Broadcom's entry in Device Manager, correct?

Personally, I disable any non-Intel network chip if the board uses one, insert an Intel NIC card, and move on.

Thread Information