Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: ASRock N68C-GS FX network adapter not allowing gigabit speed....

Unhappy ASRock N68C-GS FX network adapter not allowing gigabit speed....

well, I've been searching for answers for the last 2-3 days, and nothing... so here's my first post on the forum.

I'm running Win7-64 on a ASRock N68C-GS FX with a PhenomII x6 1055t and 8GB DDR3... router is a D'link DIR-825, all cabling is cat5e, ran it myself and tested...

When I go to configure the adapter, it shows as Nvidia nForce 10/100/1000 Mbps Ethernet, but there is no option under the speed for 1 Gbps, or 1000 Mbps. only the usual 100Mbps FD and HD, etc...

anyone run into this and have a solution to access full gigabit connectivity?

remixedcat is offline Junior Member

Default Re: ASRock N68C-GS FX network adapter not allowing gigabit speed....

Does your cable you are using have all 4 pairs or just two? The cable needs to have all 4 pairs to get GB speeds.

Also please check your router settings.

Thanks, Yes, the cord has all 4 pairs... standard T568-B arrangement for RJ45.

As life would have it, not long after posting, I managed to get it working through a combination of expert knowledge, precision craftsmanshiship, and numerous Cadbury Mini-eggs.

Seriously though, I did get it up to 1Gbps, but it was a weird combination, which I was able to reproduce once, but once it was running I didn't want to mess with it.

The onboard lan on the board is a Giga PHY Realtek RTL8211CL.... Googled it and found Dell had a driver for it, so I dl'ed that, and it seemed to be the magic ingredient... but still not in a direct way.

• I uninstalled the adapter (did not delete the driver) and re-discovered it via Device Manager.... but it only registered as Nvidia 10/100 Mbps adapter.
    • Rebooted....
    • Updated the driver simply via the "Update Driver option in "Properties > Driver" and it bumped up to 10/100/1000 Mbps, but still no 1000Mbps option in the speed settings in the Configure menu...
    • rebooted
    • Then got the Nvidia All in 1 driver from the ASRock site ASRock > N68C-GS FX and installed that. More options, but not 1Gbps, so this option may not have been necessary, but it didn't work unless i included this step for some reason.
    • Rebooted (still no 1Gbps)
    • Installed the Realtek driver.(still no 1Gbps)
    • Rebooted (still no 1Gbps)
    • Used the Update Driver option in Device Manager (or from Properties > Configure > Driver)
    • Presto! 1Gbps appears.

I'm sure that some of this could be circumvented by someone with more expertise than I, but I repeated it twice, and tried a few variations (unsuccessfully), and this is what finally worked, for whatever reason.

Now on to the rest of my network...

BTG.

remixedcat is offline Junior Member

Wowzaz! That's a lot to go through!

sometimes also getting the chipset drivers instead of the card's OEM help but yours is nvidia so....

Thread Information