Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AM1H-ITX motherboard thinks there is a discrete video card present, but there is none

Default AM1H-ITX motherboard thinks there is a discrete video card present, but there is none

I just put together this PC using an Asrock AM1H-ITX motherboard and an Athlon 5350 processor, but I'm having problems during boot. I keep getting this error message on bootup:

"The VBIOS of your discrete VGA card does not support UEFI GOP, so it can not support Ultra Fast Boot and CSM Disable".

I don't know why I'm getting this message, because I do not have a discrete video card installed. I am using the integrated graphics of the Athlon 5350 (Radeon HD 8400), which does support UEFI GOP. I also have the setting in the UEFI set to "Ultra Fast Boot". And I have the "Primary Graphics Adapter" option set to "Onboard"

The PC has Windows 8.1 Pro installed, and I have Fast Startup enabled in the operating system. I built this PC so it could be used as a HTPC and for its ability to Ultra fast boot.

Why does the motherboard think there is a discrete video card connected when there isn't any at all? And more importantly, what can be done to fix this problem so I will be able to have the Ultra fast boot feature function normally as it should? Thanks for your help in resolving this issue.
    Last edited by raltere; 05-11-2014 at 09:22 AM.

parsec is offline Senior Member

Default Re: AM1H-ITX motherboard thinks there is a discrete video card present, but there is none

Quote Originally Posted by raltere View Post
    I just put together this PC using an Asrock AM1H-ITX motherboard and an Athlon 5350 processor, but I'm having problems during boot. I keep getting this error message on bootup:

"The VBIOS of your discrete VGA card does not support UEFI GOP, so it can not support Ultra Fast Boot and CSM Disable".

I don't know why I'm getting this message, because I do not have a discrete video card installed. I am using the integrated graphics of the Athlon 5350 (Radeon HD 8400), which does support UEFI GOP. I also have the setting in the UEFI set to "Ultra Fast Boot". And I have the "Primary Graphics Adapter" option set to "Onboard"

The PC has Windows 8.1 Pro installed, and I have Fast Startup enabled in the operating system. I built this PC so it could be used as a HTPC and for its ability to Ultra fast boot.

Why does the motherboard think there is a discrete video card connected when there isn't any at all? And more importantly, what can be done to fix this problem so I will be able to have the Ultra fast boot feature function normally as it should? Thanks for your help in resolving this issue.
    It's possible that the error message you are seeing is just the generic non-GOP support error message that is displayed regardless of the video source being used. But as you said, why are you seeing it if the 5350's graphics support GOP. The message may be more generic than that.

Now for question and answer time, we must verify a few things you did not mention:

Ultra Fast boot requires a UEFI booting Windows installation. The OS drive must have a GPT partition table, and uses the EFI boot loader. Windows must be installed with the appropriate UEFI/BIOS option enabled that will cause Windows to be installed in this configuration. Did you install Win 8.1 in that way? If not, simply setting Fast Boot to Ultra Fast won't work.

The UEFI/BIOS options that is the switch between Legacy and UEFI booting is CSM or Secure Boot. Which one are you using and what is it set to?

I don't know either way, but how do you know that the 5350's video source is GOP compliant? For on-CPU graphics, the VBIOS is supplied by the mother board manufacture, and it would be a big mistake if ASRock missed that, given they provide the Ultra Fast boot setting. I highly doubt this is the case.

The Ultra Fast setting only affects the POST/pre-OS boot functions, and does not affect the actual booting of an OS. Yes the total system startup time is shorter using Ultra Fast, but it is the UEFI booting Windows installation, and Windows 8 fast startup that provides most of the faster OS boot time.

Default Re: AM1H-ITX motherboard thinks there is a discrete video card present, but there is none

Quote Originally Posted by parsec View Post
    The OS drive must have a GPT partition table, and uses the EFI boot loader. Windows must be installed with the appropriate UEFI/BIOS option enabled that will cause Windows to be installed in this configuration. Did you install Win 8.1 in that way?
    Yes, when I installed Windows 8.1, I booted the installation DVD in UEFI mode. That option was there in the boot menu (by tapping F11 at that time).

To verify that it indeed was installed in that way, I just opened Disk Management in Windows 8.1, and I see three partitions listed there: There is a 300 MB Recovery Partition, followed by a 99 MB EFI System Partition, followed by the main Windows 8.1 partition.
    Also, I opened msinfo32.exe which tells me in the System Summary that the BIOS mode is UEFI. I also checked the drive itself using GParted, which shows the disk has a GUID Partition Table.

So it is quite puzzling why this new system is refusing to use Ultra Fast boot. I should have mentioned earlier that immediately before I get the "The VBIOS of your discrete VGA card does not support UEFI GOP" message, there are 5 distinct short beeps that come from the motherboard. I hear these 5 short beeps, and then the message appears.

I also tried setting Secure boot to "Enabled", but that did not make any difference. As for CSM, I looked for it in the UEFI, but I can't seem to find this setting. Where would this be located?

Thank you for your assistance. Is there anything more I should check or try?
    Last edited by raltere; 05-11-2014 at 03:50 PM.

BIOS > Boot tab - CSM (Compatibility Support Module)
    #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
    ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - G.Skill RAM Configurator for your boardSamsung Memory for your boardLatest AMD Chipset Drivers/WindowsLatest AMD Graphics Drivers/WindowsLatest Intel Drivers

#3 - Please use the eXtreme Outer Vision Power Supply Calculator found HERE to determine if it might be your PSU at issue.
    ____Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Quote Originally Posted by - wardog - View Post
    BIOS > Boot tab - CSM (Compatibility Support Module)
    I've looked under the BOOT tab, but CSM does not seem to be there.

I searched and found a Youtube video someone posted of the BIOS of the Asrock AM1B-ITX. I know its not the AM1H-ITX, but the BIOS of these 2 motherboards should be similar. At 6 minutes 30 seconds into the video, he shows the section under the BOOT tab and it shows the CSM option all the way at the bottom, under "Boot Failure Guard Count".

Forward to 6:30 to see the BOOT tab section:
    BIOS ASRock AM1B-ITX - YouTube

After seeing this video and knowing where to look, I scrolled all the way down in my BIOS in the BOOT section and looked underneath the Boot Failure Guard Count option, but there is nothing there. I don't have the CSM option there at all. The last entry that appears on that page for for me is the Boot Failure Guard Count option. Scrolling all the way down, there is nothing else underneath it.

Unless the AM1H-ITX does not have this CSM option, but I doubt that. Now I am more puzzled than ever. Any ideas?

Contact ASRock Tech Support using THIS link. Ask of the CSM option.

Curious, what BIOS revision is your board flashed to? BIOS > Main tab - UEFI Version

Quote Originally Posted by - wardog - View Post
    Curious, what BIOS revision is your board flashed to? BIOS > Main tab - UEFI Version
    The UEFI Version says: AM1H-ITX P1.00

Apparently this is the first UEFI version that this motherboard has been released with. I checked, but there are no newer versions released yet at this point in time.

Thanks for trying to help, it's appreciated.
    Last edited by raltere; 05-12-2014 at 06:11 AM.

parsec is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by raltere View Post
    Yes, when I installed Windows 8.1, I booted the installation DVD in UEFI mode. That option was there in the boot menu (by tapping F11 at that time).

To verify that it indeed was installed in that way, I just opened Disk Management in Windows 8.1, and I see three partitions listed there: There is a 300 MB Recovery Partition, followed by a 99 MB EFI System Partition, followed by the main Windows 8.1 partition.
    Also, I opened msinfo32.exe which tells me in the System Summary that the BIOS mode is UEFI. I also checked the drive itself using GParted, which shows the disk has a GUID Partition Table.

So it is quite puzzling why this new system is refusing to use Ultra Fast boot. I should have mentioned earlier that immediately before I get the "The VBIOS of your discrete VGA card does not support UEFI GOP" message, there are 5 distinct short beeps that come from the motherboard. I hear these 5 short beeps, and then the message appears.

I also tried setting Secure boot to "Enabled", but that did not make any difference. As for CSM, I looked for it in the UEFI, but I can't seem to find this setting. Where would this be located?

Thank you for your assistance. Is there anything more I should check or try?
    Then you should be UEFI booting, all the information above confirms it. What worries me is you never seemed to have set CSM or Secure Boot before you installed Win 8, and don't know where the CSM option is or its setting.

If you enabled Secure Boot, that normally automatically sets CSM to Disabled, since that is required for Secure Boot to work. Sometimes having Secure Boot set to Enabled will then cause the CSM option to be "hidden" or removed as an option in the UEFI UI, as a safety feature. That could explain the missing CSM option.

To find CSM, assuming it is available in the UEFI UI, set Secure Boot to Disabled, save and exit, and go right back into the UEFI UI and look again.

CSM should be in the Boot menu, but my slightly older ASRock boards/UEFI have it in the ACPI menu, under Advanced. The full name is Compatibility Support Module.

Besides that, the bottom line is this: IF an OS is UEFI booting, it MUST be using the GOP capability of the video's VBIOS. That is independent of the Fast Boot setting. You can UEFI boot with Fast Boot set to Disabled, Fast, or Ultra Fast. I set Fast Boot to Disabled all the time, and the OS installation still UEFI boots fine.

The main symptom of not UEFI booting is the error message you see when Fast Boot is set to Ultra Fast.

BTW, in case you don't know, a UEFI booting Windows installation will boot fine in MBR/Legacy booting mode (CSM Enabled, the default setting of CSM.) I wonder if msinfo32 has a bug that detects a UEFI booting installation, but cannot really determine the booting mode, so reports a UEFI booting installation that is booting in Legacy mode as "UEFI". I can't remember if msinfo32 gets that right, I will check and let you know.

Sorry to say, I'm not 100% certain that you are UEFI booting.

Quote Originally Posted by parsec View Post
    To find CSM, assuming it is available in the UEFI UI, set Secure Boot to Disabled, save and exit, and go right back into the UEFI UI and look again.
    OK, I think we're getting someplace. I set "Secure Boot" back to "Disabled", but I still didn't see the CSM option.

So then I went and changed the Fast Boot setting from "Fast Boot" (which I have to have because it will not boot in Ultra Fast Boot, because of that error message I mentioned) to "Disabled". Once I set Fast Boot to Disabled, the CSM option finally showed up!

It seems the CSM option disappears when the Fast Boot option is set to "Fast Boot" or Ultra Fast Boot", and only appears when it is "Disabled".

What should I try next? Should I set CSM to Disabled?
    Last edited by raltere; 05-12-2014 at 07:23 PM.

OK, now that I have the CSM option visible in the BIOS, I set it to "Disabled", and I set Secure Boot to "Enabled".

I saved the settings, rebooted and then set Fast Boot to "Ultra Fast Boot" to see if this would now work. Once I set it to "Ultra Fast Boot", I could see the CSM option vanish instantly on that page. I saved the settings and then rebooted into Windows 8.1.

Now came the moment of truth, will the PC now Ultra Fast boot? I shut down the PC (using the Shut down option on the Windows 8.1 Start Screen). After it shut down, I waited 30 seconds and pressed the power button on the PC.

Unfortunately, I heard the same dreaded 5 short beeps followed by the same message "The VBIOS of your discrete VGA card does not support UEFI GOP ..."

So even with CSM disabled and Secure Boot enabled, the motherboard still is not allowing me to Ultra Fast boot.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information