Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: ASRock E3C224-4L / ECC Memory

Default ASRock E3C224-4L / ECC Memory Required?

I purchased the referenced motherboard and planned to use desktop vs ECC memory.

Upon installing and booting I received a debug code of 55.

I have searched for bent pins in the CPU socket, reseated CPU twice, gone to one memory DIMM, tried other memory (non-ECC) DIMMS that I know are good, and generally done everything I know to resolve the issue. Either the MB is bad, the CPU is bad, or I need ECC memory.

This is my first server board and I have no other MB to test the CPU, nor do I have a different CPU that works in this board. I will order ECC memory if that is the answer, but wanted confirmation that it is required before ordering.

Can someone please advise.
    Last edited by SSD; 05-11-2014 at 09:53 PM.

Default Re: ASRock E3C224-4L / ECC Memory Required?

Quote Originally Posted by SSD View Post
    I purchased the referenced motherboard and planned to use desktop vs ECC memory.

Upon installing and booting I received a debug code of 55.

I have searched for bent pins in the CPU socket, reseated CPU twice, gone to one memory DIMM, tried other memory (non-ECC) DIMMS that I know are good, and generally done everything I know to resolve the issue. Either the MB is bad, the CPU is bad, or I need ECC memory.

This is my first server board and I have no other MB to test the CPU, nor do I have a different CPU that works in this board. I will order ECC memory if that is the answer, but wanted confirmation that it is required before ordering.

Can someone please advise.
    The memory I am trying to use is listed below. It works in my desktop system (Asus MB).
    - G.SKILL Ares Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory Model F3-1333C9D-16GAO

I searched both Kingston's and Crucial's Website for compatible ram with this motherboard, and found both ECC and non-ECC options listed. ASRock Website lists only ECC memory. G.SKILL does not list server motherboards.

Suggestions welcome!

Default Re: ASRock E3C224-4L / ECC Memory Required?

Quote Originally Posted by SSD View Post
    The memory I am trying to use is listed below. It works in my desktop system (Asus MB).
    - G.SKILL Ares Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory Model F3-1333C9D-16GAO

I searched both Kingston's and Crucial's Website for compatible ram with this motherboard, and found both ECC and non-ECC options listed. ASRock Website lists only ECC memory. G.SKILL does not list server motherboards.

Suggestions welcome!

Please use ECC unbuffered RAM.

Default Re: ASRock E3C224-4L / ECC Memory

That was it. Just a suggestion - document somewhere that it requires ECC, not just "supports" ECC.

Thank you.

Thread Information