Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Need a new CPU for Asrock 890GM Pro 3 (original version NOT 2.0)

Default Need a new CPU for Asrock 890GM Pro 3 (original version NOT 2.0)

I have an older Asrock 890GM Pro 3 motherboard which has been running an AMD Athlon II X4 640 3Ghz which I believe is a Propus

This board's manual states it supports AM3+ processors, however I can't find any of the processors on the asrock webpage currently for sale at newegg , They do show AM3+ processors but they are "Vishera" and I can't determine if these will work on my board.

Do I need to replace this board to get a faster processor in my computer?

parsec is offline Senior Member

Default Re: Need a new CPU for Asrock 890GM Pro 3 (original version NOT 2.0)

Quote Originally Posted by William Munn View Post
    I have an older Asrock 890GM Pro 3 motherboard which has been running an AMD Athlon II X4 640 3Ghz which I believe is a Propus

This board's manual states it supports AM3+ processors, however I can't find any of the processors on the asrock webpage currently for sale at newegg , They do show AM3+ processors but they are "Vishera" and I can't determine if these will work on my board.

Do I need to replace this board to get a faster processor in my computer?
    I don't see any mention of support for AM3+ processors on this board's spec page, and none listed in the CPU support list:

ASRock > 890GM Pro3

Default Re: Need a new CPU for Asrock 890GM Pro 3 (original version NOT 2.0)

I found a better solution for my problems.

Turns out the Athlon II X4 640 @ 3ghz still performs well , and a new cpu or board is kind of a waste of money. Instead I ditched my HD 5750 video card and replaced it with an EVGA Geforce GTX 750 Ti, and that dramatically improved the performance. It doubled the framerate in Elder Scrolls online, from 36 fps to 80 fps

I think I can live with that, since regular tasks in windows are still plenty fast on this old board and CPU

I will wait for a truly worthwhile generation of processors to come out before I upgrade.

Thread Information