Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Asrock supercomputer cant overclock past 3.88ghz

Default Asrock supercomputer cant overclock past 3.88ghz

asrock supercomputer mobo
    i7 950
    patriot viper 3 2400Mhz (4x4GB)
    Corsair H90

Machine wont overclock past 3.88Ghz, if I raise anymore system will crash. I read on net this chip should oc past 4ghz.
    At 4Ghz machine will boot but freezes during windows loading process. Also mobo temp is 38C and cpu around 37c@idle, furmark test for a few hours cpu will top off at 57c
    Last edited by pdasterly; 05-18-2014 at 05:12 AM.

Adjo is offline Junior Member

Default Re: Asrock supercomputer cant overclock past 3.88ghz

Quote Originally Posted by pdasterly View Post
    i7 950
    Corsair H90

Machine wont overclock past 3.88Ghz, if I raise anymore system will crash. I read on net this chip should oc past 4ghz.
    At 4Ghz machine will boot but freezes during windows loading process. Also mobo temp is 38C and cpu around 37c@idle, furmark test for a few hours cpu will top off at 57c
    3.88Ghz stable is pretty good for the 950 from what I can tell. Have a look at this: Guide to Overclocking the Core I7 920 or 930 to 4.0ghz

Ive read thru a few good guides, I believe this was one of them. Here's my problem, I have the i7 950 D0 which is supposed to overclock very easy, sorry I know this equipment is old tech.

Side note, should I sell this stuff and pickup newer i7 combo. I dont think the performance gain will be worth the upgrade.

Adjo is offline Junior Member

Ive read thru a few good guides, I believe this was one of them. Here's my problem, I have the i7 950 D0 which is supposed to overclock very easy, sorry I know this equipment is old tech.

Side note, should I sell this stuff and pickup newer i7 combo. I dont think the performance gain will be worth the upgrade.

My advice? I run an i7 3820, so I'm biased, but I'd advise to upgrade to a sandy bridge E and x79. Main reason is the unlocked multiplier with the 3820 and SATA3 with the x79 chipset. With your MB you already have quick RAM with triple channel, the x79 is quad channel, so there won't be a RAM issue for a long time - x79 is also compatible with your RAM, so you can carry that over. I have an ASROCK extreme4 MB, am running an ND-H14 cooler, and have my cpu at 4.3Ghz stable. I've got 2 x SSDs in a RAID array, and having used the array at both SATA2 and SATA3 speeds, can say there is a massive difference in performance.

parsec is offline Senior Member

i7 950
    Corsair H90

You're telling us nothing about how you've OC'd your 950, like FSB setting, Vcore and other voltages, multipliers, etc. No PSU mentioned, which usually means nothing fancy.

If you're only at 57C benchmarking at 3.88, you can't have much Vcore applied to your 950.

A D0 i7-950 may be able "to overclock very easy...", but that is relative to other i7-900 series processors. That does not mean it won't take some work to get it to 4GHz.

Why four 4GB DIMMs in a triple channel memory system? That limits the amount of memory working in triple channel mode.

Thread Information