Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: AsRock z87 OC Formula, intermittent computer restarts

clarrichard is offline Junior Member

Angry AsRock z87 OC Formula, intermittent computer restarts

Built my new rig and 39 days later my computer just in the middle of gaming hard resets. Upon reloading it freezes right after the UEFI boot screen passes its boot setup time. So upon this initial problem I believed it to be a hard drive crash. At the time I was using a samsung 840 pro 128g SSD. I got that exchanged and went to reload my software. This is where the second problem started occurring. Im now having problems with it booting, period. I enter the bios and have it set to boot to windows loader and after hitting enter it just goes to a blank screen. It doesnt start to access the HDD or anything. After about 20 resets and changing the boot order around it finally starts to read the HDD and loads. I get all my drivers loaded, updated and it hard resets again. at this point doing a little skimming on websites I decide that Im no longer going to use a SSD. So I get a Western Digital 1 TB. Same loading error occurs, I have to reset it like 20-30 times before I can get it to start reading optical/HDD. This last time it hard reset I left the room came back and it was in a constant hard reset loop. Ive looked all over the web at a lot of forums but I havent found anything reasonable that would cause this problem. I am starting to believe that I have a faulty motherboard. Im not happy with the OC forumla manual not including Dr. Debug codes either, how am i supposed to look up a debug code when my rigs down.

Asus 24 inch 3d 144 Hz 1ms
    Asrock z87 oc formula mobo
    Intel 4770k 3.5 GHz
    Western Digital 1 TB
    Corsair vengeance DDR3 1866 MHz
    Asus GeForce gtx 780 3gb
    Corsair rm 750 PSU
    Corsair h100 liquid cooler (not installed atm)
    Corsair carbide 400r atx tower

Default Re: AsRock z87 OC Formula, intermittent computer restarts

The Debug codes aren't on pg 38 of the printed manual ???
    #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
    ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - G.Skill RAM Configurator for your boardSamsung Memory for your boardLatest AMD Chipset Drivers/WindowsLatest AMD Graphics Drivers/WindowsLatest Intel Drivers

#3 - Please use the eXtreme Outer Vision Power Supply Calculator found HERE to determine if it might be your PSU at issue.
    ____Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

parsec is offline Senior Member

Which SATA ports are you using, the Intel or ASMedia? The four SATA ports on the top of the stack of ports (as seen with the board mounted in a case) are the ASMedia ports. They are not as stable or reliable as the six Intel SATA ports below the ASMedia ports. Also, the ASMedia ports may not work well with optical drives.

What OS and version are you using? What UEFI/BIOS version do you have?

It's clear IMO that your SSD was not the cause of the problem. I've used SSDs on all my PCs for several years, including Samsung 840 Pros, and never had problems with booting or the issue you described.

Given what information about that PC you've provided, I wonder if you are using the stock Intel CPU cooler. If so, given the 780 video card you use, you might be having over heating issues. The 780 gives off a lot of heat, and both it and the CPU may be overheating. What kind of temps do you see in the BIOS for the CPU and board? Are you using just the three fans that came with your 400R case?

Have you tried removing the 780, and try starting the PC with the Intel IGP graphics?

clarrichard is offline Junior Member

-wardog- ,
    pg 38 is in dutch, its the same page as 8 in english. It is not the debug list. I was getting the codes B4 and A9. Im not sure why B4 (USB devices(they are working fine)) And A9 is not listed.

this reply somehow got all jumbled up, my internet is lagging.

parsec,
    Im currently and was running the Intel. I had my hdd in SATA3_0. its now in SATA3_1.(Since I switched I have had no restarts or loading issues.) I had the problem when i first built with putting my optical in the ASMedia, so i learned about that one couple months ago. OS is Windows 8.1 64 bit. My UEFI/BIOS is 1.90. yea I kinda figured out after i switched from the SSD it was clear it wasnt the problem. As of right now Im using the stock cooler, I do have a h100i corsair liquid cooler im going to install if it stays stable now. and shamefully , yes only the 3 stock fans. But the temps have always been really stable and decent. 32c-40c. havent removed the 780 and starting the comp that way, but so far since I have moved HDD to 3_1, like an hour now, its been stable and has stayed running with 0 incidents.board mounted in a case) are the ASMedia ports.

parsec is offline Senior Member

It's possible that there is something wrong with the SATA3_0 port, but it is more likely that the SATA data cable is bad, or moving it fixed (temporarily) a bad connection problem. If you have problems again, try another SATA data cable.

Quote Originally Posted by clarrichard View Post
    -wardog- ,
    pg 38 is in dutch, its the same page as 8 in english. It is not the debug list. I was getting the codes B4 and A9. Im not sure why B4 (USB devices(they are working fine)) And A9 is not listed.
    [COLOR=#3E3E3E][INDENT]
    this reply somehow got all jumbled up, my internet is lagging.
    That's the Quick Install Guide that you're describing. You should have also received a User Manual that the debug codes are referenced. Anyways .....

b4. Unplug all, ALL, devices, readers, adapters from the USB ports and test. If you installed the rear USB 3.0 PCI I/O ports and or the front 3.5" USB 3.0 panel, these too.
    #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
    ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - G.Skill RAM Configurator for your boardSamsung Memory for your boardLatest AMD Chipset Drivers/WindowsLatest AMD Graphics Drivers/WindowsLatest Intel Drivers

#3 - Please use the eXtreme Outer Vision Power Supply Calculator found HERE to determine if it might be your PSU at issue.
    ____Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Thread Information