Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: ASRock 970 series compatibility with Mushkin 1866 RAM kits

Question ASRock 970 series compatibility with Mushkin 1866 RAM kits

Hi All,

I'm coming onto this forum because I haven't received any response from the three emails I sent ASRock via their Tech Support system, and I'm getting increasingly frustrated.

I'm the go-to guy to build rigs in my family and among my friends, and usually it's fairly straightforward getting compatibility info, but I've hit the mother of titanium walls with this one, aaaand I'm getting a little of the squishy sound.

I've got several requests to build PCs, and while some involve Intel CPUs, most revolve around the FX-4350, 6350 and 8350 CPUs, and also a couple of Richland and Kaveri APUs, but I'm going to bring those up in another post.

I'm looking at the 970 Pro3 R2.0 and the 970 Extreme3 R2.0. I'm also aware of the memory controller ratings for the FX-43xx/63xx/83xx series, so I don't intend to go beyond DDR3-1866C9.

So, my questions are:

1) Will I be able to use the ASRock 970 Pro3 R2.0 with either of the FX-4350, 6350 or 8350 CPUs with a Mushkin 2x4GB DDR3-1866 kit, and still have the RAM running stably at 1866MHz?

(The RAM I'm referring to is here: http://poweredbymushkin.com/index.ph...&cid=5:redline)

2) Repeat of 1) but using a Mushkin 2x8GB DDR3-1866 kit, and still have the RAM running stably at 1866MHz?

(The RAM I'm referring to is here: http://poweredbymushkin.com/index.ph...&cid=5:redline)

3) Repeat of 1), but using the ASRock 970 Extreme3 R2.0, and finally

4) Repeat of 2) but using the ASRock 970 Extreme3 R2.0.

I'm really hoping to find some answers here. I've been in contact with Sean Moore from Mushkin, but he's not too sure about whether the 2x8GB kit will run at 1866 or drop to 1600 or lower.

I think it's generally the case that when you start filling up the DIMM slots, the RAM frequency drops...

I'm pretty sure any of these setups using the 2x4GB 1866 kit will work fine at 1866, but I'd just like some reassurance, hopefully from ASRock.

I'm more concerned with the setups involving the 2x8GB 1866 kit, so hopefully someone can address that concern initially.

Thanks in advance, and have a good one!

BP

Default Re: ASRock 970 series compatibility with Mushkin 1866 RAM kits

You should be golden with two sticks of 1866 running at 1866 and maybe to 2133. Four sticks will be a roll of the dice where you end up Mhz wise. Maybe even 1600 with four, but stable.

Though I question the budget 970 board. At 4+1 IMHO it shouldn't be considered for FX series processors. Woefully underpowered for the FX, IMHO.

990FX is the chipset to use with the FX series. If all they're doing is some occasional gaming with that 970 you mention, I'd look for an Phenom II x6 or x4 even and spend the savings on a better gfx card.
    #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
    ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - G.Skill RAM Configurator for your boardSamsung Memory for your boardLatest AMD Chipset Drivers/WindowsLatest AMD Graphics Drivers/WindowsLatest Intel Drivers

#3 - Please use the eXtreme Outer Vision Power Supply Calculator found HERE to determine if it might be your PSU at issue.
    ____Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Default Re: ASRock 970 series compatibility with Mushkin 1866 RAM kits

Quote Originally Posted by - wardog - View Post
    990FX is the chipset to use with the FX series.
    .... with 8+2(or even 8+1), not 4+1.

I add that as it appears ASR has or is dropping the 990FX Extreme4.
    #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
    ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - G.Skill RAM Configurator for your boardSamsung Memory for your boardLatest AMD Chipset Drivers/WindowsLatest AMD Graphics Drivers/WindowsLatest Intel Drivers

#3 - Please use the eXtreme Outer Vision Power Supply Calculator found HERE to determine if it might be your PSU at issue.
    ____Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Thread Information