Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: New to the forum and new to ASRock mb's.

Fossil_Rock is offline Junior Member

Default New to the forum and new to ASRock mb's.

Hi everyone!

Just bought a used ASROck Z77 Pro mb, a new PNY 240GB SSD, new NZXT case and a new Corsair HX850 PSU.

Installed the above components and test started it, just to verify the mb, but the only thing that happens is the fans start spinning and nothing else. No post codes no Dr Debug codes ... nothing.

One question I have is, is the 8 pin ATX12V1 socket required for it boot? The Corsair PSU has a EPS12V connector (8 pin also), but from what I've read so far may not be compatible so I didn't connect it to the mb.

Any guidance or suggestions?

Thanks,

FR

P.S. I'm in no way a noob when it comes to computers or their assembly. It's just been years since I've built a computer and technology has ran off and left me in the dust.

parsec is offline Senior Member

Default Re: New to the forum and new to ASRock mb's.

Quote Originally Posted by Fossil_Rock View Post
    Hi everyone!

Just bought a used ASROck Z77 Pro mb, a new PNY 240GB SSD, new NZXT case and a new Corsair HX850 PSU.

Installed the above components and test started it, just to verify the mb, but the only thing that happens is the fans start spinning and nothing else. No post codes no Dr Debug codes ... nothing.

One question I have is, is the 8 pin ATX12V1 socket required for it boot? The Corsair PSU has a EPS12V connector (8 pin also), but from what I've read so far may not be compatible so I didn't connect it to the mb.

Any guidance or suggestions?

Thanks,

FR

P.S. I'm in no way a noob when it comes to computers or their assembly. It's just been years since I've built a computer and technology has ran off and left me in the dust.
    Do you have a processor in that board, no mention of that, sorry I cannot assume you do... no processor means zero response from the board, besides possibly a "00" on the Debug display. No POST or BIOS without a CPU either.

No mention of any memory either, whose absence will also result in nothing from the board.

A four or eight pin CPU power cable connected to the ATX12V1 socket is required for the CPU to operate, and the rest of the board.

I have no idea why you would think the EPS12V cable from the PSU is not compatible with the ATX12V1 socket. Given the board and PSU, both are compatible. There has never been a CPU power socket and cable that are not compatible, besides possibly a proprietary PSU and board from an all in one PC manufacture.

The cables for PCIe power (video cards) are similar to the EPS12V cable, but the +12V and ground wires are in the opposite positions from each other, and these cables are not interchangeable. That may be the source of the confusion.

Fossil_Rock is offline Junior Member

Smile [Solved] New to the forum and new to ASRock mb's.

Thanks for your reply.

Yes there's a CPU (i7-3770) and memory (F3-12800CL10D-16GBXL [x2]).

I can't remember where I read it, but what I read seemed to indicate that the ATX12V1 and EPS12V were not compatible or at least not used in the same way. That's why I came to the forum to learn more.

The last computer I built was nearly a decade ago and to my knowledge, CPU power sockets didn't exists back then (at least not on common mb's).

I continued to search for answers until I came across a video showing the installation of a power supply being attached to the same mb. That was enough for me to try it and it worked.

It seems odd to me that something (apparently) so common isn't discussed in the manuals or online (much).

parsec is offline Senior Member

Default Re: New to the forum and new to ASRock mb's.

The term EPS12V is confusing, and originally described a computer power supply configuration that uses both a 24pin main power connector, and a separate eight pin CPU power connector, and optionally a second four or eight pin CPU power connector. That standard was created for use on professional server platforms, but was adopted by the PC industry and has been a standard PC power supply configuration for at about seven or eight years. Some older boards and PSUs built after this standard was created still may not use this configuration.

The eight pin CPU power connector was the main new and visible difference, so that connector became labeled "EPS12V", which is not really correct given the original definition.

The use of EPS12V to describe that connector became somewhat common, but can cause confusion when someone like yourself actually attempts to verify compatibility, which is ignored by the typical person.

Your board's manual has a reference to the ATX12V connector, and does not use the EPS12V terminology, to their credit IMO:

New to the forum and new to ASRock mb's.-atx12v-pic-png

Thread Information