Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: X79 Extreme9 EUFI Boot Order Changes Unexpectedly In A Multi-Boot System

Theokritos is offline Junior Member

Default X79 Extreme9 UEFI Boot Order Changes Unexpectedly In A Multi-Boot System

The UEFI boot order changes after booting to Windows 7 (Windows bootloader) from any Linux distribution (GRUB or GRUB 2 bootloader). Switching between Linux distributions has no effect on the UEFI boot order (or priority), but once Windows 7 is booted the system will boot only to Windows until the UEFI boot order is changed manually.

The system is built around an ASRock X79 Extreme9 motherboard with UEFI bios at version 3.90.

The operating systems and their bootloaders are:
    Windows 7 Ultimate SP 1 64 bit (Windows bootloader)
    CentOS 6.5 64 bit (GRUB bootloader)
    SteamOS Beta 64 bit (GRUB 2 bootloader)
    openSUSE 13.1 64 bit (GRUB 2 bootloader)
    Debian 7 64 bit (GRUB 2 bootloader)

I have been reviewing the manuals that come with the ASRock X79 Extreme9 motherboard and have spent quite a bit of time searching for this issue on Google. So far, I have not found a similar issue or any indication what may be causing the change in the boot order in the UEFI bios boot settings.

I would very much like to understand how Windows 7 (or the Windows bootloader) is making itself the primary bootloader in the UEFI bios boot settings and how to prevent it from doing so in the future.
    Last edited by Theokritos; 05-26-2014 at 11:57 AM.

parsec is offline Senior Member

Default Re: X79 Extreme9 EUFI Boot Order Changes Unexpectedly In A Multi-Boot System

Not that I have an immediate answer for you, but some questions.

Are all your various OSs on your SSD, on different partitions? Is Windows 7 on the first logical partition? Or are these OSs on separate drives?

How do you select which OS to boot when you start or restart the PC?

Default Re: X79 Extreme9 UEFI Boot Order Changes Unexpectedly In A Multi-Boot System

Quote Originally Posted by parsec View Post
    ... Are all your various OSs on your SSD, on different partitions? ...
    Different partitions. Windows 7 is the only OS on the SSD.
    ... Is Windows 7 on the first logical partition? ...
    There are no logical partitions. All of the disk drives are formatted with GUID Partition Table (GPT) instead of the older Master Boot Record (MBR). The first partition on each drive is the EFI System Partition (ESP) which replaces the MBR. The second partition is the Microsoft Reserved Partiltion (MSR). The remaining partitions are all primary partitions. The ESP and MSR partitions are invisible to many of the end user disk management tools. Windows 7 is on the first primary partition of the SSD.
    ... Or are these OSs on separate drives? ...
    Yes. All of the Linux OSs are on primary partitions of the HDDs.
    ... How do you select which OS to boot when you start or restart the PC?
    There are several ways to choose which OS to boot. One is to press F11 during the boot process and select the desired boot manager or drive from the list of eligible candidates. Another option is to press F2 during the system boot and manually update the UEFI boot priority so that the desired boot manager is 1st on the list, with other candidates as alternates should the first one fail for some reason. Press F10 to save the UEFI changes, exit and reboot. It is the second option that I am having difficulties with since Windows 7 seems to put itself as the primary boot manager whenever I boot into Windows.

Default Re: X79 Extreme9 UEFI Boot Order Changes Unexpectedly In A Multi-Boot System

The solution to this issue may be rather simple.

When manually updating the UEFI boot priority I was setting Windows Bootmanager to disabled and moving GRUB 2 to the default boot manager. It appears that when booted from GRUB, Windows checks to see if it is in the UEFI boot priority list. If not, it makes an entry for Windows Bootmanager and sets it to the default, hence the change in the boot order.

So the solution is don't disable Windows Bootmanager. Instead, make GRUB 2 the default boot manager and leave Windows Bootmanager enabled, but below GRUB 2 on the UEFI boot priority list.

vuldin is offline Junior Member

Default Re: X79 Extreme9 EUFI Boot Order Changes Unexpectedly In A Multi-Boot System

Thanks for posting this solution, I may be running into this same issue soon. I'm not yet sure if I will need to dual boot... I'm hoping to have only archlinux installed as dom0 (or non-virtual), but if my virtualization plans for Windows doesn't work out for some reason I will have to resort to dual-booting.

Thread Information