Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Virtualization over Directed I/O support

vuldin is offline Junior Member

Default Re: Virtualization over Directed I/O support

I'm sure my issues with VT-d passthrough are related to the device I'm trying to pass rather than the board. I'm trying to pass a 290x through via vga passthrough and running into issues that I think are related to xen not knowing exactly where the GPU BIOS is in memory. I haven't done much testing over the last week since I've been too busy with other things, but this is something that I'll come back to and I'll post more details then. My next steps are to ensure pass through works for other components without issue, and then I'll start trying to use different xen config, apply patches to xen, and/or try a different version of xen.

Not sure if this will help you at all, but the research I've done on passing thru graphic cards indicates that you have to dedicate RAM to the VM you are trying to assign the card to. That was based on an ESXi install though so not sure if the same rule applies to Xen. I'm still in the process of putting my rig together so no hands on experience yet. Good luck with your build.

guidugli is offline Junior Member

Quote Originally Posted by vuldin View Post
    If there are 50 VT-d tests from Intel, then does anyone have a link to details on these tests? Also, how do the ASRock motherboards do on these tests? I'm wary of how this VT-d support has been handled by all parties involved at this point. My goal is to build a computer that will be used for virtualization, gaming, work, multiple users. A critical aspect of this is VT-d and VGA passthrough. ASRock seems to be the best source for motherboards that adequately handle this technology, so hopefully they can provide details on this
    When I was building my rig I did not find much information about compatibility or tests. What I found on my research is that ASRock has history enabling VT-d support, no big issues, while other brands do not enable VT-d, perform a buggy implementation, or break it on BIOS update. I was considering ASUS but give up after reading about several people with problem after Bios upgrade and such.
    I am very happy with ASRock so far.

Quote Originally Posted by vuldin View Post
    I'm sure my issues with VT-d passthrough are related to the device I'm trying to pass rather than the board. I'm trying to pass a 290x through via vga passthrough and running into issues that I think are related to xen not knowing exactly where the GPU BIOS is in memory. I haven't done much testing over the last week since I've been too busy with other things, but this is something that I'll come back to and I'll post more details then. My next steps are to ensure pass through works for other components without issue, and then I'll start trying to use different xen config, apply patches to xen, and/or try a different version of xen.
    With my Z87 Fatality Pro with Intel i-4770, I had successfully passed through my Radeon R9 290 GPU, the Fatal1ty USB controller and Creative Core3D soundcard. The video performance is astonishing. Did a benchmark inside the VM and outside and the numbers were pratically the same.
    Also, on another virtual machine, I was able to passthrough an Asmedia controller with my CDROM, so I could use Alcohol 120% and Winamp. Also did some tests passing through network cards and it works as well.

I am using Fedora 20 with latest kernel (3.14.8) and KVM (qemu-kvm-1.6.2-6.fc20.x86_64). Didn't need to recompile kernel or apply additional patches. Just needed to change kernel boot parameters on Grub (add devices to PCI-Stub, enable VT-d, etc), and add the devices using virt-manager. I also tested with qemu-2.0 and it works fine too. You may consider doing a test with Fedora 20.
    Last edited by guidugli; 06-22-2014 at 06:38 AM.
    Asrock Z87 Fatal1ty Professional, i7 4770, G Skill Ares 32GB, ATI Radeon R9 290, WD Velociraptor 300GB, WD Black 500GB, 2 WD Green 2TB, 1 WD Green 1 TB, Antec Signature 850W, CoolerMaster CM 690 II Case, Fedora Linux / Windows (virtual machine with GPU pass-through)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information