Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: ASROCK Z87m OC formula. Ok board with mediocre software and lacklustre support. Going back to asus.

Default ASROCK Z87m OC formula. Ok board with mediocre software and lacklustre support. Going back to asus.

I had asus z87 deluxe mobo before this Z87m OC formula. I wanted overall smaller pc so i got Asrocks Z87m formula. Board was overall more cash than asus comparable board but it did look better so i went for it. But after owning this since december i have to say Asrock doesnt give a toss about existing cutomers. Software is always old and no updates since december. Old bios everything old. Now merely few month later z97 is out so good bye z87. Great board plagued by a terrible software. A fan control called FAntastic not so tastic. It will test ur fan which is all nice but to check current rpm you have to go to a different tab altogether. Speed control also leaves alot to wish for with forgetting fans and ramp up speeds for no apparent reason. I dont know if Asrock engineers saw anything Asus gigabyte or msi makes i gues not. Try to power on Asus system and you will be greeted by a host of useful programs which will put you in control with clear interface and and better general aesthetics. Even their website looks dated and it leaves bad taste overall. This is my last asrock board. I will not pay premium money for mediocre products. A company which after few month abandons their customers doesnt deserve my custom. Going back to asus who can keep their boards fresh for a good few month longer and provide updates despite new models coming out. A positive in this boring and mediocre experience is that the motherboard is still working ok. Asrock does not know how to produce premium products. Nice box doesnt make anything premium. Have a great day.

Default Re: ASROCK Z87m OC formula. Ok board with mediocre software and lacklustre support. Going back to asus.

Old BIOS but you don't go on about what's old with it. You rant about old software but rely on the manufacturer to update it. Really?

That hasn't been my experiences with ASRock, and if you read alot of my posts here I'm no fanboy of anyones motherboards.
    #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
    ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - G.Skill RAM Configurator for your boardSamsung Memory for your boardLatest AMD Chipset Drivers/WindowsLatest AMD Graphics Drivers/WindowsLatest Intel Drivers

#3 - Please use the eXtreme Outer Vision Power Supply Calculator found HERE to determine if it might be your PSU at issue.
    ____Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

vuldin is offline Junior Member

Default Re: ASROCK Z87m OC formula. Ok board with mediocre software and lacklustre support. Going back to asus.

Quote Originally Posted by mocuishe View Post
    I had asus z87 deluxe mobo before this Z87m OC formula. I wanted overall smaller pc so i got Asrocks Z87m formula. Board was overall more cash than asus comparable board but it did look better so i went for it. But after owning this since december i have to say Asrock doesnt give a toss about existing cutomers. Software is always old and no updates since december. Old bios everything old. Now merely few month later z97 is out so good bye z87. Great board plagued by a terrible software. A fan control called FAntastic not so tastic. It will test ur fan which is all nice but to check current rpm you have to go to a different tab altogether. Speed control also leaves alot to wish for with forgetting fans and ramp up speeds for no apparent reason. I dont know if Asrock engineers saw anything Asus gigabyte or msi makes i gues not. Try to power on Asus system and you will be greeted by a host of useful programs which will put you in control with clear interface and and better general aesthetics. Even their website looks dated and it leaves bad taste overall. This is my last asrock board. I will not pay premium money for mediocre products. A company which after few month abandons their customers doesnt deserve my custom. Going back to asus who can keep their boards fresh for a good few month longer and provide updates despite new models coming out. A positive in this boring and mediocre experience is that the motherboard is still working ok. Asrock does not know how to produce premium products. Nice box doesnt make anything premium. Have a great day.
    It sounds like you have issues with the motherboard, but you give very little details regarding your issues. I would take an old but functional BIOS any day of the week over a new but broken BIOS, so the one thing you say about the BIOS (that it is old) is in no way a negative aspect for me. On top of that, I don't necessarily agree that the BIOS is old (five months is not that long since an update). I hope that you turn your first post on the forum into a thread with at the very least some constructive criticism regarding your motherboard... otherwise you will have not contributed very much to the forum.

Its not about bios i am taking about. Its just one example. Take drivers for examples. Even tough newer versions are widely available ASROCK didnt even bothered to update their website. Asrock is just below average product with no company support for anything they make.

parsec is offline Senior Member

For some people, driver updates on their board's download page are convenient, but none of those drivers are updated by the board manufacture themselves. They all get them from Intel, AMD, or the manufacture of the specific chip, Realtek for example. Not one mother board manufacture writes or modifies device drivers, at least any more than adding their name to the display of the installer program.

It's also a simple thing to put a new driver version on a download page, but did that board manufacture actually test the new driver on their board? I'm aware of several different "new" drivers that were later removed by the manufacture due to problems. Meanwhile, those drivers were still available for download on the mother board manufacture's download page, for quite a while too. Is that a good service to the customer?

If you want new drivers, go get them yourself, they're out there. AMD and Intel provide them, as do most other hardware manufactures. But I know if I use them and they cause problems, it's my responsibility to take care of it. If someone cannot do that, they should not be updating their drivers.

I cannot name a software package provided by a mother board manufacture that is not hated by some of the owners of those boards. AI Suite by ASUS is one example. I used it with my ASUS P67 board, and thought it was fine. Others hated it, and it needed a "hotfix" fix file that had to be downloaded and installed to even get it working for some users. I never had that problem, but the fix download file is still there two years later.

But they lost me when after a UEFI update, my idle CPU temperature suddenly became below room temperature. I changed to the previous version, and the temps went back to normal. Changed to the new version again, and my temps again dropped about 7 degrees C. Most people liked it, since they complained about high CPU temps while in the BIOS. That's why they changed it. I filed a support ticket about it, never heard from them again, not that I'm surprised. A third party hardware monitoring program I used could show me both CPU temperatures, the real one and the adjusted one, it matched AI Suite perfectly, so funny.

Another mother board manufacture is, IMO, infamous for their endless UEFI/BIOS updates. Beta version this, beta version that, "... did you try that new beta BIOS...", "... yeah it fixed ABC, but now XYZ is not working again..." is all I see from them. A Beta BIOS?!? Are you kidding me?!? Just what I need for the basic brain of my PC, an unverified BIOS that the users get to beta test. Sure mobo manufactures can provide a Beta BIOS or two, but as the normal way they operate providing BIOS updates? No thank you!

The whole "New is Always Better!" mentality regarding software has become a cult following. People are searching for that magic software update that gives them Nirvana. I can think of one such update that actually really improved the product. Firmware updates on SSDs are the perfect example of this, and some owners complain that one SSD manufacture never has any firmware updates. That's because: 1. They don't need one, and 2. Firmware updates are 99% of the time fixes for problems. So the more fixes (problems) the better it is?

Actually, I agree that the ASRock software is not the best I've used. Their UEFI/BIOS versions are solid, and the updates actually provided new things that work.

My point is no mother board manufacture is perfect. You live with the defects and shortcomings that each one has. You pick your poison, and lately mine has been ASRock.

I know nobody is perfect! But again with their software support they lag behind everybody else. My z87 formula no update on support of devil canyon i7? What the heck did they forget to put it on their website? I have never seen anyone working slower than them. Their mobo control software is annoying as hell.

I have just estimated total cost of development of their state of the art website. I think it was around 50bucks and thats including domain name. Shame! Their website is polluted with cheap pictures and cluttered with some pointless links.

parsec is offline Senior Member

Well, if you really care about marketing products to yourself with pretty pictures rather than technical content, then yes, some of the other mobo manufactures have prettier websites.

I was just looking at one like that, they had girls in odd costumes showing skin in various areas. Clearly that means they must be more technically competent and have superior products.

One of the reasons I buy ASRock products is their price relative to other mobo manufactures. I've owned the others, they are mostly fine but so is ASRock, and I'm getting virtually the same product for a lesser price. The flashy website and BIOS updates for products that are not yet available for weeks costs more money, which is passed on to the consumer. A trade-off of one thing for another.

Do you know you'll be buying a DC processor now, even without reading any reviews about them? Haswell processors had a few "firsts" in them, like the on-die VRMs, and DC will have the new polymer TIM. It took a while to discover the nature of Haswell processors (run hot while stress testing at moderate OCs), so it will likely be the same for DC. I'll wait and see how DC turns out, that takes at least a month, usually longer. Plus refinements of the BIOS options take time and experience from use in the wild. The idea that having something first makes it superior is one of the basic concepts that marketing has burned into our brains... or many of us, not everyone. The same thing goes for "New", it is always better, right?

You can always find a mix of newer or older drivers on different board's download pages, which does not matter much to me, but it does to some people. I just checked the driver downloads for the GA-Z97X-UD7 TH mother board, and was shocked to find it had an older Intel network chip driver listed for download (18.8) than my ASRock Z97 board (19.0). The date of the 18.8 network driver was not the true date of the release of that driver (5/02/2014 on the board's website, 1/13/2014 on Intel's website), so the dates tell us only when the file was posted on the page for download.

The Intel network chip on the other board is a... mystery, they don't specify. That's strange, why hide the network chip identity? My ASRock Z97 board has an Intel I218V and a Realtek RTL8111GR chip, which can be teamed via the Intel network driver. ASRock does not even list that as a feature!

Then that other board requires a "hotfix" to be downloaded and installed for the IME software if using Windows 7, but my ASRock Z97 board, using the same version of IME, does not. The other board warns you with a "Note" that you must install Microsoft .NET Framework 4.5 before you install the Intel IRST driver, but my ASRock Z97 board has no such requirement, and the IRST driver installed fine on that PC. I also do not see any mention of support for DC "OC Function" in any of the other board's BIOS updates, but my ASRock Z97 board had that added on 5/27/2014.

Lucky me, that other board was the first random one I picked for comparison (honestly!), and I could nit pick it easily.

My point yet again is no one is perfect, even if marketing teaches us that only Number One matters. Thanks marketing, see ya...

Your board is brand new so no reason to complain yet. Mine is z87 few months old for asrock apparently irrelevant. I refresh this thread in 6months ill see how you are doing then. The fact is asrock after sales service support is non existent. Have a great day.

Thread Information