Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: ASRock Z87 Extreme 4 - problem

Default ASRock Z87 Extreme 4 - problem

Hi. I have this PC specification:

AsRock Z87 Extreme 4
    i5 4670k
    16 GB RAM
    GTX 780
    SSD Samsung 840 Pro
    Corsair RM 750

I see some problems:

1. When computer is disabled and I press power button. After desktop is loaded on the Dr Debug LED i see '40' code. Also i have a trouble with my mouse A4Tech XL-760H. Application from mouse give me this information:

Mouse is connected to USB 2.0 port of course. After reboot PC, mouse application works correctly, doesn't have notification about USB 3.0 error, and on the dr Debug i see 'AA'. What's wrong?

2.After I connect HDD, POST procedure during a lot longer. In this time Dr Debug display 'A2' code. When I disconnect my HDD and only SSD works, PC starts about 6-8 seconds, with HDD this time is over 2x more. It's a normal situation?

Greetings.

vuldin is offline Junior Member

Default Re: ASRock Z87 Extreme 4 - problem

From the manual, code 40 means there is a memory issue. Have you run memtest86+ (Memtest86+ - Advanced Memory Diagnostic Tool)?

Codes AA and A2 mean there is some issue with IDE/SATA devices or drivers working properly. Reinstalling drivers, reinstalling the drives themselves, and clearing CMOS are possible solutions.

I would think about uninstalling everything and then installing only the bare minimum components needed to boot and install windows, and then verify there are no error codes and no issues within the operating system (all devices show up and have drivers and are usable). Once that is done, then you could start installing any additional devices one at a time to ensure they all work before moving forward to the next install.
    Last edited by vuldin; 05-30-2014 at 05:32 AM.

parsec is offline Senior Member

What is the exact model number of your memory, it may not be completely compatible with your board. Do you have two 8GB DIMMs, or four 4GB DIMMs? If you have two 8GB DIMMs, they should be put into slots A2 and B2.

It always takes longer for a HDD to start than a SSD, that is normal. The long A2 display just means that the disk drive detect part of POST (code A2) is taking longer for some reason. At least part of the reason is it is a HDD that takes longer to start up. If the A2 code goes away, and different numbers are displayed, then there was no problem connecting with the HDD, it just took long. Still, it is worth checking the SMART data of the HDD, does it seem to work fine once Windows starts?

What SATA port do you have the HDD connected to, the Intel ports or ASMedia? The HDD might start faster on the Intel SATA ports.

What version of Windows are you using?

The AA code means to check "ASL codes", which are special codes that nobody really uses. The Dr Debug display normally goes blank if everything is fine, if you still see AA then the problem is with the mouse driver, since it thinks a USB 2.0 port is USB 3.0. Check if there is a new driver for the mouse.

Quote Originally Posted by vuldin View Post
    From the manual, code 40 means there is a memory issue. Have you run memtest86+ (Memtest86+ - Advanced Memory Diagnostic Tool)?

Codes AA and A2 mean there is some issue with IDE/SATA devices or drivers working properly. Reinstalling drivers, reinstalling the drives themselves, and clearing CMOS are possible solutions.

I would think about uninstalling everything and then installing only the bare minimum components needed to boot and install windows, and then verify there are no error codes and no issues within the operating system (all devices show up and have drivers and are usable). Once that is done, then you could start installing any additional devices one at a time to ensure they all work before moving forward to the next install.
    MemTest give me information "No errors". On another page I see that's information about 'AA' code:

Hi,

The AA code means system detect all the hardware correct like cpu, memory, and video card. Plus All I/O port is function like it should. You can simply just ignore the AA code from LED card.

Asrock Support Team
    A2 code i only have during POST procedure, no on the desktop after Windows loading.

What is the exact model number of your memory, it may not be completely compatible with your board. Do you have two 8GB DIMMs, or four 4GB DIMMs? If you have two 8GB DIMMs, they should be put into slots A2 and B2.

It always takes longer for a HDD to start than a SSD, that is normal. The long A2 display just means that the disk drive detect part of POST (code A2) is taking longer for some reason. At least part of the reason is it is a HDD that takes longer to start up. If the A2 code goes away, and different numbers are displayed, then there was no problem connecting with the HDD, it just took long. Still, it is worth checking the SMART data of the HDD, does it seem to work fine once Windows starts?

What SATA port do you have the HDD connected to, the Intel ports or ASMedia? The HDD might start faster on the Intel SATA ports.

What version of Windows are you using?

The AA code means to check "ASL codes", which are special codes that nobody really uses. The Dr Debug display normally goes blank if everything is fine, if you still see AA then the problem is with the mouse driver, since it thinks a USB 2.0 port is USB 3.0. Check if there is a new driver for the mouse.
    I have Kingston Fury 1866 MHz CL10. It's a newest memory from Kingston in two modules 8 GB. Today I put it into slots A2 and B2 and memory issue code '40' display again ;/
    My HDD is connected to SATA_1 port and SSD to SATA_0 port. I think there are Intel Controller ports.
    I'm using Window 8.1 Pro.

DR Debug shows messages all of time, because I turn on this option in BIOS.

I have installed the newest mouse drivers. On my old PC(AMD, 970 chipset) everything is OK with mouse. I have two the same mouses and on both i have this issue.

Of course I have the OS on the SSD all of time. HDD doesn't have any OS or MBR. I turn off HDD from second boot position in UEFI, no result ;/
    Last edited by damagus; 05-30-2014 at 03:49 PM.

vuldin is offline Junior Member

You mention that your memory is the Kingston Fury 1866 MHz CL10 16GB (8GB x 2) set. Earlier I posted that it may be helpful to run memtest86+, what are the results of this test on your system? Did you run with all memory installed? I would consider running the test with only one module installed initially, and then repeat for the other module (or with both modules) installed.

It would be helpful if you gave the part number for your memory. Here are the possibly compatible part numbers for your board given the memory details you've posted:

KHX18C10T2K2/16X
    KHX18C10AT3K2/16X
    KHX1866C9D3K4/16GX
    KHX18C9T2K4/16X

The memory compatibility list is here: ASRock > Z87 Extreme4

If your memory part number isn't one of those then you could be running into incompatibilities.

Quote Originally Posted by damagus View Post
    MemTest give me information "No errors". On another page I see that's information about 'AA' code:

A2 code i only have during POST procedure, no on the desktop after Windows loading.

I have Kingston Fury 1866 MHz CL10. It's a newest memory from Kingston in two modules 8 GB. Today I put it into slots A2 and B2 and memory issue code '40' display again ;/
    My HDD is connected to SATA_1 port and SSD to SATA_0 port. I think there are Intel Controller ports.
    I'm using Window 8.1 Pro.

DR Debug shows messages all of time, because I turn on this option in BIOS.

I have installed the newest mouse drivers. On my old PC(AMD, 970 chipset) everything is OK with mouse. I have two the same mouses and on both i have this issue.

Of course I have the OS on the SSD all of time. HDD doesn't have any OS or MBR. I turn off HDD from second boot position in UEFI, no result ;/
    It does not matter that the HDD has no OS or MBR, or is not in the boot list in the UEFI. The A2 part of POST will always find any drives connected to the PC, and make a basic connection to each drive. That is its job, and cannot be stopped except by removing power from the drive, which of course means it won't work. The A2 part of POST will wait for a drive to start up, and SSDs start much faster than HDDs. There is nothing you can do to make POST skip connecting to a drive. If you had more HDDs in your PC, the A2 part of POST would be a little longer for each additional HDD.

Your mouse problem might be caused by a USB option in the UEFI. If you do not have "Legacy USB Support" enabled in the UEFI, try that. Or if you have that enabled, try setting it to disabled. Try different USB option settings (in the Advanced menu, USB) which will hopefully stop that issue.

Quote Originally Posted by vuldin View Post
    You mention that your memory is the Kingston Fury 1866 MHz CL10 16GB (8GB x 2) set. Earlier I posted that it may be helpful to run memtest86+, what are the results of this test on your system? Did you run with all memory installed? I would consider running the test with only one module installed initially, and then repeat for the other module (or with both modules) installed.

It would be helpful if you gave the part number for your memory. Here are the possibly compatible part numbers for your board given the memory details you've posted:

KHX18C10T2K2/16X
    KHX18C10AT3K2/16X
    KHX1866C9D3K4/16GX
    KHX18C9T2K4/16X

The memory compatibility list is here: ASRock > Z87 Extreme4

If your memory part number isn't one of those then you could be running into incompatibilities.
    I have KHX1866C10D3 and there aren't on support memory list. I run MemTest with both modules and everything's OK "Test passed, no errors, please ESC to exit". I waited 1 hour to complete the test.

Quote Originally Posted by parsec View Post
    It does not matter that the HDD has no OS or MBR, or is not in the boot list in the UEFI. The A2 part of POST will always find any drives connected to the PC, and make a basic connection to each drive. That is its job, and cannot be stopped except by removing power from the drive, which of course means it won't work. The A2 part of POST will wait for a drive to start up, and SSDs start much faster than HDDs. There is nothing you can do to make POST skip connecting to a drive. If you had more HDDs in your PC, the A2 part of POST would be a little longer for each additional HDD.

Your mouse problem might be caused by a USB option in the UEFI. If you do not have "Legacy USB Support" enabled in the UEFI, try that. Or if you have that enabled, try setting it to disabled. Try different USB option settings (in the Advanced menu, USB) which will hopefully stop that issue.
    So this is normal boot time for SSD with HDD and I shouldn't worry? More than two times longer isn't "little longer" ;-)

On the UEFI i tried to switching USB options in many configurations. When I disable Legacy USB Support or Legacy USB 3.0 Support i don't have this mouse error in OS, but I can't use the UEFI, because keyboard and mouse doesn't work in it(no power). When I disabled only Intel USB 3.0 i don't have mouse error, but my USB 3.0 devices run much slowly. USB compability patch doesn't work.

SSDs and HDDs are completely different in their operation. A SSD has no moving parts, it is all electronic devices and chips. A HDD is partially a mechanical device with a motor that turns the disks/platters inside the drive and has at least one other motor for the arms that locate the read/write heads over the platters. It takes several seconds for a HDD to spin up the platters to full speed and stabilize it operation before it can even begin to establish a connection to the SATA interface on the board.

If the HDD takes only twice as long to start as a SSD, I would say that is fast for a HDD. Older mother boards had a BIOS setting that set a timer that would cause the POST process to wait up to 30 seconds so HDDs could start up. Believe me, your HDD is working normally and there is nothing you can do to change the time it takes for it to start or cause POST to not connect the board to the HDD, otherwise the HDD would not work.

It sounds like there is nothing else you can do to fix the USB issue you have with that mouse and your board. Sometimes ASRock will supply a BIOS patch to fix a compatibility issue, if that is even possible.

I don't know how, but I fixed problems with mouse and memory. Now when PC starts I see 'AA' on the dr Debug, no mouse errors. I really don't know what the reason.

'AA' code means that everything OK?

And I have one more question about motherboard. When I press power button on the case, on the motherboard dr Debug and two buttons(power and reset) lights up. When Windows loaded only dr Debug has highlight. It it normal?
    Last edited by damagus; 06-01-2014 at 02:40 PM.

Thread Information