Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: ASRock Z97 Extreme 6 New UEFI/BIOS Version 1.30 Not Working For Me

parsec is offline Senior Member

Default Re: ASRock Z97 Extreme 6 New UEFI/BIOS Version 1.30 Not Working For Me

John, thanks for the info about your XP941, and the link to the fix needed for ASUS boards. That may seem like just an interesting side topic, but it is VERY important to me.

That's because of my interest in UEFI booting (CSM set to Disabled, etc), since info about it is not plentiful and I'm looking for more than I already have.

Is your PC with the XP941 configured for UEFI booting? I don't think you need to with our ASRock board, or am I wrong?

My Z97 EX 6 PC is configured for UEFI booting, not that I need it for compatibility with anything. I wonder if the 1.30 update cannot be done with CSM set to Disabled. I've updated UEFIs with CSM set to Disabled many times on other boards, but given the VBIOS update in 1.30, and the apparent success of other users of this board, I wonder about that. An easy thing to test, annoying to recover a failure if necessary, so I've not tested my theory.

If I come up with a fix, I'll post it here.

lotuspro is offline Junior Member

Quote Originally Posted by parsec View Post
    John, thanks for the info about your XP941, and the link to the fix needed for ASUS boards. That may seem like just an interesting side topic, but it is VERY important to me.

That's because of my interest in UEFI booting (CSM set to Disabled, etc), since info about it is not plentiful and I'm looking for more than I already have.

Is your PC with the XP941 configured for UEFI booting? I don't think you need to with our ASRock board, or am I wrong?

My Z97 EX 6 PC is configured for UEFI booting, not that I need it for compatibility with anything. I wonder if the 1.30 update cannot be done with CSM set to Disabled. I've updated UEFIs with CSM set to Disabled many times on other boards, but given the VBIOS update in 1.30, and the apparent success of other users of this board, I wonder about that. An easy thing to test, annoying to recover a failure if necessary, so I've not tested my theory.

If I come up with a fix, I'll post it here.
    Hi parsec,
    Until you raised the issue of UEFI booting as opposed to CSM, I was not actually aware of the difference. What little reading I have done since suggests that the operating system will set up the boot mode at the time of installation. The UEFI boot order in my system is 'Windows boot manager' first then the hard disks/BD Rom drive. If I change this order to boot directly to the Samsung XP941, the system won't boot. So, I may be wrong, but I don't appear to have a CSM boot option other than say when booting to an external device such as the BD Rom or say a bootable USB device?. I read up, on the following, which eventually talks more about Linux, but you may find this of interest: https://www.happyassassin.net/2014/0...lly-work-then/
    I am wondering why Asrock are not picking up on the BIOS update situation, as I assume others are being confronted with the same issue. Given that our systems are a fair bit different, the update problem is presumably not specific to my system or yours?
    Anyway, as my system seems quite stable on V1.20, I think I will stick with it until some clarification comes along.
    Thanks for your comments.

Quote Originally Posted by lotuspro View Post
    Hi parsec,
    Until you raised the issue of UEFI booting as opposed to CSM, I was not actually aware of the difference. What little reading I have done since suggests that the operating system will set up the boot mode at the time of installation. The UEFI boot order in my system is 'Windows boot manager' first then the hard disks/BD Rom drive. If I change this order to boot directly to the Samsung XP941, the system won't boot. So, I may be wrong, but I don't appear to have a CSM boot option other than say when booting to an external device such as the BD Rom or say a bootable USB device?. I read up, on the following, which eventually talks more about Linux, but you may find this of interest: https://www.happyassassin.net/2014/0...lly-work-then/
    I am wondering why Asrock are not picking up on the BIOS update situation, as I assume others are being confronted with the same issue. Given that our systems are a fair bit different, the update problem is presumably not specific to my system or yours?
    Anyway, as my system seems quite stable on V1.20, I think I will stick with it until some clarification comes along.
    Thanks for your comments.
    If your OS drive is identified in the boot order as "Windows Boot Manager", then that tells me you are either UEFI booting, or Legacy booting but using the EFI storage Option ROM.

CSM is the main switch between UEFI and Legacy booting. CSM is set to Enabled by default, to cause standard BIOS/Legacy emulated booting when using UEFI firmware. Setting CSM to disabled allows a UEFI booting OS installation to boot. Secure Boot, when enabled, automatically sets CSM to disabled.

The CSM option on our board is at the bottom of the Boot screen. There are options available when CSM is Enabled that allow different EFI Option ROMs to be used in Legacy mode, instead of the Legacy Option ROMs (we have both now in our UEFI images.) Do you have CSM Enabled, but the Storage Option ROM policy set to UEFI? Please check that for me when you can.

The problems we have with 1.30 on our board are but two complaints, and I know of one user of our board that updated to 1.30 fine. We are but drops in a bucket, and I may see why now. Your issue with 1.30, and the use of the XP941 SSD, that requires a UEFI type storage Option ROM, which is also what I use by default when UEFI booting. We share the use of the EFI Storage Option ROM on our systems, and both have issues updating to 1.30.

Just coincidence? Maybe not, UEFI booting is not common yet, or is using an EFI Option ROM for compatibility with an OS drive. That is necessary to boot from the XP941.

My theory of UEFI booting (or simply using the EFI storage Option ROM) causing the problem is looking more likely, given your PC's configuration and what you've told me. I can boot my installation in Legacy/MBR mode, and then can try to update to 1.30 again. That is really the next test I must do.

If your OS drive is identified in the boot order as "Windows Boot Manager", then that tells me you are either UEFI booting, or Legacy booting but using the EFI storage Option ROM.

CSM is the main switch between UEFI and Legacy booting. CSM is set to Enabled by default, to cause standard BIOS/Legacy emulated booting when using UEFI firmware. Setting CSM to disabled allows a UEFI booting OS installation to boot. Secure Boot, when enabled, automatically sets CSM to disabled.

The CSM option on our board is at the bottom of the Boot screen. There are options available when CSM is Enabled that allow different EFI Option ROMs to be used in Legacy mode, instead of the Legacy Option ROMs (we have both now in our UEFI images.) Do you have CSM Enabled, but the Storage Option ROM policy set to UEFI? Please check that for me when you can.

The problems we have with 1.30 on our board are but two complaints, and I know of one user of our board that updated to 1.30 fine. We are but drops in a bucket, and I may see why now. Your issue with 1.30, and the use of the XP941 SSD, that requires a UEFI type storage Option ROM, which is also what I use by default when UEFI booting. We share the use of the EFI Storage Option ROM on our systems, and both have issues updating to 1.30.

Just coincidence? Maybe not, UEFI booting is not common yet, or is using an EFI Option ROM for compatibility with an OS drive. That is necessary to boot from the XP941.

My theory of UEFI booting (or simply using the EFI storage Option ROM) causing the problem is looking more likely, given your PC's configuration and what you've told me. I can boot my installation in Legacy/MBR mode, and then can try to update to 1.30 again. That is really the next test I must do.
    I was wondering about my UEFI screens until I found that enabling 'Fast boot' removes the CSM switch. I disabled 'fast boot' and it is back. I was using 'secure boot' so by default had disabled CSM anyway.
    With CSM enabled, I find it will boot ok with the Storage Option ROM policy set to either Legacy or UEFI, although subjectively, I think it is a little slower in the latter mode. I am on a steep learning curve here, so don't plan to do any pioneering at this stage although, I must admit this is not my usual mindset.
    Will look forawrd to your further comments.

Quote Originally Posted by lotuspro View Post
    I was wondering about my UEFI screens until I found that enabling 'Fast boot' removes the CSM switch. I disabled 'fast boot' and it is back. I was using 'secure boot' so by default had disabled CSM anyway.
    With CSM enabled, I find it will boot ok with the Storage Option ROM policy set to either Legacy or UEFI, although subjectively, I think it is a little slower in the latter mode. I am on a steep learning curve here, so don't plan to do any pioneering at this stage although, I must admit this is not my usual mindset.
    Will look forawrd to your further comments.
    Thanks for the reply and info, I figured it had to be something like that. Yes, Secure Boot sets CSM to disabled, it must be for Secure Boot to work. Also yes, setting Fast Boot to Ultra Fast (and possibly Fast) will cause the CSM option to disappear. That is done so you can't enable CSM with Fast Boot enabled, but there are better ways all that could be done IMO.

You seem to have confirmed that the ASRock Z97 Extreme 6 board can boot from an XP941 SSD, even when Legacy/BIOS booting. With the storage OROM policy set to Legacy, other boards should fail booting an XP941. I have not identified the Legacy storage OROM (Intel of course) yet, the UEFI OROM is 13.0.0.2075.

Lessons for the day:

* You don't need to use Secure Boot to enable UEFI booting, given you have access to the CSM option. My secure boot is set to disabled.

* A Windows UEFI booting installation (which uses the EFI boot loader) with a GPT partition table, also contains a MBR partition table (and has the MBR boot loader available), just like a standard "Legacy", "BIOS booting" installation. That means you can boot that installation either way, BIOS or UEFI, just by changing CSM. You've done that already. It should be slower with the Legacy OROM, BIOS booting. Windows 8 makes a big difference.

We are spoiled by UEFI booting Windows 8 with a SSD OS drive. I did a standard (Legacy booting) Windows 7 installation on a SanDisk Extreme II SSD (same as I use in my Z97 board, Win 8, UEFI booting) and the boot time is soooooo slow in comparison. I've used Win 8 for so long now that I forgot what Win 7 is like, plus Legacy booting.

Question for you, what did you use for your Windows 8 or 8.1 installation media? Meaning a Win 8 disk, or ISO, etc, on a USB flash drive? Just trying to confirm something about that, and need your data point.

Angry Re: ASRock Z97 Extreme 6 New UEFI/BIOS Version 1.30 Not Working For Me

Thanks for the reply and info, I figured it had to be something like that. Yes, Secure Boot sets CSM to disabled, it must be for Secure Boot to work. Also yes, setting Fast Boot to Ultra Fast (and possibly Fast) will cause the CSM option to disappear. That is done so you can't enable CSM with Fast Boot enabled, but there are better ways all that could be done IMO.

You seem to have confirmed that the ASRock Z97 Extreme 6 board can boot from an XP941 SSD, even when Legacy/BIOS booting. With the storage OROM policy set to Legacy, other boards should fail booting an XP941. I have not identified the Legacy storage OROM (Intel of course) yet, the UEFI OROM is 13.0.0.2075.

Lessons for the day:

* You don't need to use Secure Boot to enable UEFI booting, given you have access to the CSM option. My secure boot is set to disabled.

* A Windows UEFI booting installation (which uses the EFI boot loader) with a GPT partition table, also contains a MBR partition table (and has the MBR boot loader available), just like a standard "Legacy", "BIOS booting" installation. That means you can boot that installation either way, BIOS or UEFI, just by changing CSM. You've done that already. It should be slower with the Legacy OROM, BIOS booting. Windows 8 makes a big difference.

We are spoiled by UEFI booting Windows 8 with a SSD OS drive. I did a standard (Legacy booting) Windows 7 installation on a SanDisk Extreme II SSD (same as I use in my Z97 board, Win 8, UEFI booting) and the boot time is soooooo slow in comparison. I've used Win 8 for so long now that I forgot what Win 7 is like, plus Legacy booting.

Question for you, what did you use for your Windows 8 or 8.1 installation media? Meaning a Win 8 disk, or ISO, etc, on a USB flash drive? Just trying to confirm something about that, and need your data point.
    Thanks for your further comments.
    I am starting to feel confident about my system, now. Slightly shaky start though, with the 1.30 BIOS non-load and a missing SM Bus Controller driver in Device Manager. The latter was solved by another TweakTown post so apparently all good now, although I still have the side cover off my Fractal case, because over many years of assembling PCs, I have found that putting the cover back on too soon is asking for some sort of problem!!
    My Windows 8 Pro came from a disk, back in the day when Microsoft were offering cheap upgrades from Windows 7 through local retail outlets. About $AUD59 I think. Windows 8.1 was a free download via the App Store, about 3.4Gb. I am still considering buying an upgrade disk though as it is a bit of a pain doing fresh installs as I have done twice during setting up my Asrock Z97 Extreme6. I have learnt another thing from all this, that some utilities provided by Asrock and Asus for that matter seem to be a bit buggy or cause unexpected/unwanted issues when in place. So no installed Asrock utilities at this stage. For example, I found that the UEFI Boot app seemed not to let my computer stay in sleep mode. It would sleep, but at some point would actually shut down. This changed when I uninstalled it. The same thing happened with A Tune. Both issues may be related to my set-up, but I don't need the apps so am avoiding the hassle.

Curious, I'm trying to understand how you seem to have a UEFI booting Win 8.1 installation from an App Store download. Or did you save the download as an ISO, or ESD image, and install it yourself?

You lost me on the "UEFI Boot app", not sure what that is or what you mean. Do you mean Restart to UEFI?

A-Tuning can change the Windows Power Plan with an ASRock defined plan, but I've never heard of one doing what happened in your case. One thing I don't suggest is setting A-Tuning to Auto Run, and I also remove it from the Windows automatic startup lists.

IMO, our board's version of A-Tuning is better than those used on earlier ASRock boards I have. It does not have the bugs in OC Tweaker that I identified in the version used by the Z77 Extreme 4 (which were pretty bad, sorry to say), or the couple mislabeled voltages displayed in the version used by the Z87 Extreme 6 board. System Info is much faster than in previous versions. I don't use it very often, but it does display a few things that nothing else will.

I use Restart to UEFI and love it, never had any strange behavior related to it. Windows 8 itself can do the same thing, which may be all that Restart to UEFI uses.

But I agree about the buggy nature of mobo utility programs, don't get me started about ASUS...

The Windows 8 fast startup feature can cause strange side effects if it fails, and it does rather regularly for me. IMO, it needs work.

Curious, I'm trying to understand how you seem to have a UEFI booting Win 8.1 installation from an App Store download. Or did you save the download as an ISO, or ESD image, and install it yourself?

You lost me on the "UEFI Boot app", not sure what that is or what you mean. Do you mean Restart to UEFI?

A-Tuning can change the Windows Power Plan with an ASRock defined plan, but I've never heard of one doing what happened in your case. One thing I don't suggest is setting A-Tuning to Auto Run, and I also remove it from the Windows automatic startup lists.

IMO, our board's version of A-Tuning is better than those used on earlier ASRock boards I have. It does not have the bugs in OC Tweaker that I identified in the version used by the Z77 Extreme 4 (which were pretty bad, sorry to say), or the couple mislabeled voltages displayed in the version used by the Z87 Extreme 6 board. System Info is much faster than in previous versions. I don't use it very often, but it does display a few things that nothing else will.

I use Restart to UEFI and love it, never had any strange behavior related to it. Windows 8 itself can do the same thing, which may be all that Restart to UEFI uses.

But I agree about the buggy nature of mobo utility programs, don't get me started about ASUS...

The Windows 8 fast startup feature can cause strange side effects if it fails, and it does rather regularly for me. IMO, it needs work.
    A couple of things to clarify. Firstly, I did mean 'restart to UEFI' and secondly, the free download of Windows 8.1 comes from Windows Store and this link explains the process: Update to Windows 8.1 from Windows 8 - Windows Help
    The download does not give an option to save to disk as an ISO or ESD. It runs the complete installation from download to install and setting up, automatically. It works pretty well, but as I said, it is slow and a pain if you need to do a second or more fresh install. (our broadband speeds here are still pretty much dictated by copper cabling although, fibre is being progressed as a $AUD40 billion government project which will eventually enable much quicker download/upload speeds, nationally).
    I too like what 'Restart to UEFI' does, but the issue i have with it is that it puts my PC into a strange sleep configuration. When I touch the mouse or keyboard, it will wake as normal, but instead of going back to where I left off, it then proceeds to reboot as in a normal start-up, so any open documents/programmes/browsers are no longer present on the screen. As soon as I un-install Restart to UEFI, normal services resume. I get exactly the same symptoms from A-Tuning. I will play around some more and see if i can be more specific, but coming off a dislike of ASUS utilities I thought 'here we go again'!!
    Thank you again for your comments, I will try a few more things based on these comments and with one change at a time will see if i can regain confidence in the Asrock utilities.

The update to 1.30 finished normally, prompted me to press enter to restart, which I did.

That is the point when things went wrong. The PC would start for about one second, then turn off for about two seconds. It would then start again for one second, and again turn off. It continued in this cycle endlessly, the Boot Failure Guard option having no affect. I can't call this behavior a boot loop, since the PC was no where near booting. So this "POST loop" behavior continued over and over, until I switched off the PSU with its power switch. When I switched the PSU on again, and pressed the PC's power button, the one second on, two seconds off behavior started again. I never touched anything on the PC besides the PSU's power switch as I described above. I did not clear the UEFI/BIOS, as that is not the correct procedure when updating the UEFI.
    I've had the exact same problem with the 1.3 update for the Z97 extreme 4. Right after the update everything was fine except i had a corrupted raid 0 thanks to the update. So i was not quite happy with that. I let the pc reinstall all my steam games back to the raid0 while i was away. When i came back i rebooted the pc to make sure my cpufan was okay. and after that i got the problem of being stuck in the bootloop:

I was getting a code 63 error. Managed to get in the bios by switching the psu off and back on again while it gave me a 63 error and then pressed the power button to boot the pc. Then flashed 1.2 back and i finally got back in windows and found the files in my system(ssd) disk to be missing. So thank you Asrock for this great update... not.
    I'm running the i7 4790k btw :)
    Last edited by vleesjus88; 07-07-2014 at 06:11 PM.

Hi vleesjus88
    I too had the 'boot loop' problem after updating my BIOS from 1.20 to 1.30 via A-Tuning. In my case, I was able to stop the loop by holding down the power button for 5 seconds, then starting up again with F2 held down. i confirmed that the BIOS update had taken place and then proceeded to a normal Window's boot via Windows Boot Manager.
    I have however been unable to update to 1.33, recently released. Everything seemed to go ok with the 1.33 attempt with normal sort of update screens, but after the 'boot loop' problem and a check on BIOS version, I found i was still on 1,30.
    The upgrade from 1.20 to 1.30 was however something of a revelation for me though, as you will note from earlier posts, that I had previously been unable to do this. The one significant difference between the successful update to 1.30 and earlier unsuccessful attempts was that it came after a fresh install of Windows 8.1 which I did for other reasons.
    Imo, the BIOS update process is buggy and despite the partial recent success, I have no confidence that it will work every time as it should.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information