Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: ASRock Z97 Extreme 6 New UEFI/BIOS Version 1.30 Not Working For Me

parsec is offline Senior Member

Default ASRock Z97 Extreme 6 New UEFI/BIOS Version 1.30 Not Working For Me

I've had my new Z97 Extreme 6 board for about two weeks now, and it has worked fine. I was able to try a M.2 SSD in the M.2 slots this board has, and it worked flawlessly. I've been using the 1.20 UEFI/BIOS version since I started using this board, and it worked fine.

I noticed the new UEFI version 1.30 last night (5/30) and although it seemed to only adds support for the new Intel "Devil's Canyon" processors and also had a VBIOS update, I decided to update to this new version. I don't have a Devil's Canyon (DC) CPU (who does?), but in the past my ASRock Z77 and Z87 boards have all accepted every UEFI update perfectly (using Instant Flash only as the update method), and the version 1.30 update's description did not state the need to have a DC processor to use the 1.30 version.

So I download version 1.30, extracted the file and copied it to a USB flash drive. I had the USB flash drive in a USB 2.0 port, the same one I used to update to 1.20. I started Instant Flash, which recognized the 1.30 version fine (as well as versions 1.00 and 1.20, that are on the flash drive). I selected version 1.30 and started the update. The update seem a bit slower than 1.20, but there may have been more going on with this update than a typical update. The update to 1.30 finished normally, prompted me to press enter to restart, which I did.

That is the point when things went wrong. The PC would start for about one second, then turn off for about two seconds. It would then start again for one second, and again turn off. It continued in this cycle endlessly, the Boot Failure Guard option having no affect. I can't call this behavior a boot loop, since the PC was no where near booting. So this "POST loop" behavior continued over and over, until I switched off the PSU with its power switch. When I switched the PSU on again, and pressed the PC's power button, the one second on, two seconds off behavior started again. I never touched anything on the PC besides the PSU's power switch as I described above. I did not clear the UEFI/BIOS, as that is not the correct procedure when updating the UEFI.

Fortunately, I was able to use the back up UEFI to start the PC, and used the UEFI recovery procedure to restore UEFI version 1.00 to the main CMOS chip. I have since then flashed to UEFI version 1.20, which works fine and the PC is working normally now.

It's possible I had a bad download of the 1.30 UEFI, but the file was not rejected by Instant Flash. No checksums are provided to check the UEFI download, so I can't check the copy of 1.30 I have. The file size is the same as the two other UEFI versions, 8,196KB.

I would be very interested to know if anyone with a Z97 Extreme 6 board has had success using UEFI version 1.30, or if they experienced the same issue that I did. I'm reluctant to try flashing to 1.30 again. I'm using an i5-4670K processor.

vuldin is offline Junior Member

Default Re: ASRock Z97 Extreme 6 New UEFI/BIOS Version 1.30 Not Working For Me

I was thinking about updating today when I saw version 1.3, but then I read the updates provided in each of the updates since 1.0 and didn't see any compelling reason to do it just yet. It's weird that the update caused issues especially when you've successfully updated to 1.20. Considering this motherboard has two CMOS chips it is relatively safe to try again, but I can understand not wanting to risk any issues. One thing you may try is getting a md5sum from your downloaded file and comparing it to another download of the same file. It's a shame the md5 hash values for each BIOS update aren't included on the website where you download the BIOS files from. This would be a quick and easy way to ensure you are getting the right file (and all of it).
    Last edited by vuldin; 05-31-2014 at 05:50 AM.

Thanks, that's a good idea about the checksums, I will try that.

This is my third chipset generation ASRock board (two Z77 (one with i7-2600K, one with i5-3570K), Z87, and Z97) and all of them (except one of the Z77's) have had the original UEFI version in them out of the box. I always update the UEFIs with each version more for a test than anything else, although some of the Z77 updates were useful for my configurations. The Z97's 1.30 version is the first one that I've ever had a problem with, although I obviously don't know yet if it is a good copy of the 1.30 UEFI that is the cause.

I flashed the 1.20 UEFI partially due to the description of "Improve SATA Type M.2 compatibility", since I was testing a Plextor M6e SSD for a colleague (of sorts), and the M6e is really a M.2 SSD with a PCIe adapter board. The M.2 drive is easily removable from the adapter board (voiding warranty, but not an issue in this case), and I wanted to test the Z97 EX 6's M.2 capability. The board and M6e worked perfectly with and without the adapter board.

BTW vuldin, welcome to the ASRock/TweakTown forum. It's always good to have another savvy PC builder (given what I see in your posts here) among our contributors.

Well, just ran a checksum generating program (fciv) on the original extracted Z97Ex61.30 file (the copy on the USB flash drive) I downloaded about 22 hours ago, and a copy I extracted from a download I did a few minutes ago. The resulting checksum values are identical.

ASRock Z97 Extreme 6 New UEFI/BIOS Version 1.30 Not Working For Me-checksum-1-png

I'll triple check my files, etc, but I don't seem to have used a corrupted download of UEFI 1.30.

profJim is online now Chief Munchkin + moderator

You can search the web to see if there are any bios editors that will work with your bios.
    Not that you want to make any bios/UEFI changes, but you should be able to "map" each bios version and at least verify that the boot block is not corrupt and that it is properly addressed. Sending a PM to Stasio might be a good way to start.

I've never worked with bios editors let alone working with any UEFI systems.
    Q9650 @ 4.10GHz [9x456MHz]
    P35-DS4 [rev: 2.0] ~ Bios: F14
    4x2GB OCZ Reaper PC2-8500 1094MHz @5-5-5-15
    MSI N460GTX Hawk Talon Attack (1GB) video card <---- SLI ---->
    Seasonic SS-660XP2 80 Plus Platinum psu (660w)
    WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data)
    Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot)
    SLI @ 16/4 works when running HyperSLI
    Cooler Master 120XL Seidon push/pull AIO cpu water cooling
    Cooler Master HAF XB computer case (RC-902XB-KKN1)
    Asus VH242H 24" monitor [1920x1080]
    MSI N460GTX Hawk (1GB) video card
    Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
    win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium
    HT|Omega Claro plus+ sound card
    CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD UPS
    E6300 (R0) @ 3.504GHz [8x438MHz] ~~ P35-DS3L [rev: 1.0] ~ Bios: F9 ~~ 4x2GB Kingston HyperX T1 PC2-8500, 876MHz @4-4-4-10
    Seasonic X650 80+ gold psu (650w) ~~ Xigmatek Balder HDT 1283 cpu cooler ~~ Cooler Master CM 690 case (RC-690-KKN1-GP)
    Samsung 830 128GB SSD MZ-7PC128B/WW (boot) ~~ WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data) ~~ ZM-MFC2 fan controller
    HT|Omega Striker 7.1 sound card ~~ Asus VH242H monitor [1920x1080] ~~ Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
    win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium ~~ CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD U.P.S

vuldin is offline Junior Member

Quote Originally Posted by parsec View Post
    Thanks, that's a good idea about the checksums, I will try that.

This is my third chipset generation ASRock board (two Z77 (one with i7-2600K, one with i5-3570K), Z87, and Z97) and all of them (except one of the Z77's) have had the original UEFI version in them out of the box. I always update the UEFIs with each version more for a test than anything else, although some of the Z77 updates were useful for my configurations. The Z97's 1.30 version is the first one that I've ever had a problem with, although I obviously don't know yet if it is a good copy of the 1.30 UEFI that is the cause.

I flashed the 1.20 UEFI partially due to the description of "Improve SATA Type M.2 compatibility", since I was testing a Plextor M6e SSD for a colleague (of sorts), and the M6e is really a M.2 SSD with a PCIe adapter board. The M.2 drive is easily removable from the adapter board (voiding warranty, but not an issue in this case), and I wanted to test the Z97 EX 6's M.2 capability. The board and M6e worked perfectly with and without the adapter board.

BTW vuldin, welcome to the ASRock/TweakTown forum. It's always good to have another savvy PC builder (given what I see in your posts here) among our contributors.

Well, just ran a checksum generating program (fciv) on the original extracted Z97Ex61.30 file (the copy on the USB flash drive) I downloaded about 22 hours ago, and a copy I extracted from a download I did a few minutes ago. The resulting checksum values are identical.

ASRock Z97 Extreme 6 New UEFI/BIOS Version 1.30 Not Working For Me-checksum-1-png

I'll triple check my files, etc, but I don't seem to have used a corrupted download of UEFI 1.30.
    Thanks for the welcome! This seems to be the best place for support around ASRock builds so I'm sure I'll get (and hopefully give) plenty of help as time goes by. I'm staying away from 1.3, and maybe I'll look into it as a possibility once others post claiming success. I have my hands full at the moment getting btrfs filesystem mdamd RAID, VT-d virtualization all working as planned. I have the first two down and now I'm focused on the virtualization (and setting up my OS environment generally).

Quote Originally Posted by profJim View Post
    You can search the web to see if there are any bios editors that will work with your bios.
    Not that you want to make any bios/UEFI changes, but you should be able to "map" each bios version and at least verify that the boot block is not corrupt and that it is properly addressed. Sending a PM to Stasio might be a good way to start.

I've never worked with bios editors let alone working with any UEFI systems.
    Good idea, although not the easiest thing to do, right? I've used the tool from Stasio's RAID website once or twice in the past, and managed to change the Intel RAID option ROM in my ASRock Z87 board's UEFI. I posted a question or two in his forum too, as it took a few tries to get the modified UEFI to be accepted by the ASR Instant Flash program, since each manufactures BIOS/UEFI file is slightly different. But then after each UEFI update you must modify the new version again, and the benefits of the new option ROM are questionable.

It would be fun to debug a UEFI/BIOS file, but will likely be one of two things. Obviously wrong in a basic way, or very complex and far from obvious. But your idea is a good one, a simple comparison of the 1.20 and 1.30 files might reveal the problem.

I just hope this situation is not similar to the Sandy Bridge to Ivy Bridge UEFI update, which it shouldn't be... famous last words...

The timing of the release of the 1.30 version might reveal that the Devils Canyon processors might be released very soon. The release date is unknown and controversial.

lotuspro is offline Junior Member

Quote Originally Posted by vuldin View Post
    Thanks for the welcome! This seems to be the best place for support around ASRock builds so I'm sure I'll get (and hopefully give) plenty of help as time goes by. I'm staying away from 1.3, and maybe I'll look into it as a possibility once others post claiming success. I have my hands full at the moment getting btrfs filesystem mdamd RAID, VT-d virtualization all working as planned. I have the first two down and now I'm focused on the virtualization (and setting up my OS environment generally).
    For the record, i have been unable to update from 1.20 I to 1.30 either. I have attempted the 'instant flash' mode with the result that the UEFI hangs, although the mouse cursor still moves. After several long anxious minutes, with no change to this state, I shutdown my PC (shock horror). I then restarted, and the PC booted normally??
    I contacted Asrock Support, but received no response.

I didn't upgrade my board since everything was running fine. Though with the back-up in place it sure is a lot less riskier to try.

Quote Originally Posted by lotuspro View Post
    For the record, i have been unable to update from 1.20 I to 1.30 either. I have attempted the 'instant flash' mode with the result that the UEFI hangs, although the mouse cursor still moves. After several long anxious minutes, with no change to this state, I shutdown my PC (shock horror). I then restarted, and the PC booted normally??
    I contacted Asrock Support, but received no response.
    Thanks for posting your experience with UEFI 1.30. Just noticed your reply, would have replied sooner if I was paying attention...

It sounds like your issue is not quite the same as I have. Your Instant Flash update process hangs, while mine completes, shuts down and starts, but then refuses to POST.

Just to be clear, you used Instant Flash with the UEFI file on a USB Flash drive, right? Or did you use the Internet Flash option? I tried both, with the same end result I described above.

Which USB port did you use for the USB flash drive?

I don't know if you've flashed a BIOS/UEFI on this board before, so I'll ask if you saw the following during the update:

Select Instant Flash on the Tools screen.

Select 1.30 from the display.

"Processing crashless feature" is displayed, with a progress bar, from 0 to 100%.

Next is the actual UEFI update, with the "Don't turn off power to the PC", with a progress bar as above.

When complete, prompted to "Press Enter to restart".

About where in this sequence does the update freeze?

Obviously, you still see version 1.20 displayed on the UEFI main screen.

BTW, I see you have a Samsung XP941 SSD, very nice, cannot get them in the USA yet. It is the M.2 form factor, right? I must ask you a few things about it...

Is that your OS drive? If so, I imagine you are using the Ultra M.2 port, correct? I've read that some Z97 boards cannot boot from the M.2 ports, which seems ridiculous. Hopefully you can clear that up for me, at least for this board.

M.2 SSDs are built to either connect to the board's SATA controller (the Intel on this board), or have their own SATA-like controller, which are the faster SSDs, and I know the XP941 is of that type.

How does this SSD appear in Device Manager, like any other SSD?

Do you get an entry in Device Manager for a storage controller, as if you had an add on SATA card? What driver does it use?

Thanks much for any info. How do you like the XP941?

lotuspro is offline Junior Member

Quote Originally Posted by parsec View Post
    Thanks for posting your experience with UEFI 1.30. Just noticed your reply, would have replied sooner if I was paying attention...

It sounds like your issue is not quite the same as I have. Your Instant Flash update process hangs, while mine completes, shuts down and starts, but then refuses to POST.

Just to be clear, you used Instant Flash with the UEFI file on a USB Flash drive, right? Or did you use the Internet Flash option? I tried both, with the same end result I described above.

Which USB port did you use for the USB flash drive?

I don't know if you've flashed a BIOS/UEFI on this board before, so I'll ask if you saw the following during the update:

Select Instant Flash on the Tools screen.

Select 1.30 from the display.

"Processing crashless feature" is displayed, with a progress bar, from 0 to 100%.

Next is the actual UEFI update, with the "Don't turn off power to the PC", with a progress bar as above.

When complete, prompted to "Press Enter to restart".

About where in this sequence does the update freeze?

Obviously, you still see version 1.20 displayed on the UEFI main screen.

BTW, I see you have a Samsung XP941 SSD, very nice, cannot get them in the USA yet. It is the M.2 form factor, right? I must ask you a few things about it...

Is that your OS drive? If so, I imagine you are using the Ultra M.2 port, correct? I've read that some Z97 boards cannot boot from the M.2 ports, which seems ridiculous. Hopefully you can clear that up for me, at least for this board.

M.2 SSDs are built to either connect to the board's SATA controller (the Intel on this board), or have their own SATA-like controller, which are the faster SSDs, and I know the XP941 is of that type.

How does this SSD appear in Device Manager, like any other SSD?

Do you get an entry in Device Manager for a storage controller, as if you had an add on SATA card? What driver does it use?

Thanks much for any info. How do you like the XP941?
    Hi parsec,

I was unable to flash from the internet, because I have a wireless connection as opposed to Ethernet. I successfully used instant flash in the UEFI to go from 1.0 to 1.20 and the steps you describe happened for that update, with the difference, that I was then able to boot to my operating system. When I later tried to upgrade to 1.30, the UEFI froze as soon as I clicked on the 1.30 BIOS file which was on my USB drive. So, I did not get any further than that. As I see it, your experience and mine are totally different, but end with the same result, no upgrade to 1.30. Strange.
    My USB drive was attached to one of the USB 2 extension ports from the motherboard, not the backplate.
    The Samsung XP941 is excellent. It behaves the same as a SSD drive but yes, is connected to the Ultra M2 port. The following is how it appears in Device Manager:
    ASRock Z97 Extreme 6 New UEFI/BIOS Version 1.30 Not Working For Me-disk-drives-png

It uses the same drivers as my Samsung SSD 840 PRO. I bought the drive from RAM City in Sydney Computer and Laptop RAM, Memory, SSD Upgrades for Dell, HP, Apple and Mac - RamCity They explain the compatibility issue on their website. I understand that BIOS version 1.20 has partly addressed this issue, although to what extent, I don't know.
    The XP941 is my Windows drive C:. I have not benchmarked it, but it got a score of 8.7 in Microsoft's performance score in control panel. The following is a recent review of the drive: AnandTech | Samsung SSD XP941 Review: The PCIe Era Is Here
    While we have not furthered our knowledge of the 1.30 BIOS update problem, unless you have any further thoughts based on my experience, but it has been interesting corresponding with you.
    Regards
    John

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information