Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: PC Crashes when usb external drives are pluged in

Default PC Crashes when usb external drives are pluged in

Hi guys I build a PC for a friend using Asrock board skt 1150 with a I5 quad core 1150. The problem we are having is when he plugs a usb external drive to the back the computer gives a bsod and crashes or somtimes just gives a sudden restart, now he bought a new external drive and it worked fine for a day then the PC started crashing and does not load the drive when pluged in it does not even give the windows detection sound, by the way we are using windows 8.1 64 bit. Any help guys thank you

vuldin is offline Junior Member

Default Re: PC Crashes when usb external drives are pluged in

My first guess would be that it is a software problem. I would try booting from a live cd environment and then plug in the USB drive and see if a reboot occurs. If it works properly then the issue is likely related to your Windows install or some software installed in that OS.

Do other USB devices work properly? Does this USB drive work properly in other systems?

parsec is offline Senior Member

Is this problem on a USB 2.0 or 3.0 port?

Depending on the board, Windows 8 will install its own USB drivers, definitely for USB 2.0, and most likely for USB 3.0. It also depends on the board and what USB 3.0 controllers it has.

Knowing which Intel chipset board is being used is really necessary for us to know.

Hi guys thank you for your replies the board is B85M-HDS. now I told my friend to bring the PC and external hdd over so I can try it out and see whats going on and when I turned on the PC and plugged the external drive the PC did not crash at all I transfer d big files and everything is fine, I plugged in one of my drives beside it and no problems. There must be something wrong at his side maybe a powered usb extensions he has plugged to the tower or printer or something

Thread Information