Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: HDD Saver Function - Z97 Extreme 6 MB

Question HDD Saver Function - Z97 Extreme 6 MB

Hi all,

I am new here and this is my first post.

I am in the final stages of putting the specifications together for a couple of new desktop pc builds, primarily for photo editing. After many hours looking into motherboard specs. I have come to the conclusion that the ASRock Z97 Extreme 6 is one of the very few new Intel 1150 platform motherboards available that provides 10 SATA ports, two USB 3.0 headers and DVI + HDMI +Data Port monitor connections.

On studying the web site and reading through the manual I found reference to a utility called HDD Saver. In the information it states that up to two HDD's connected to the HDD Saver Port can be powered on and off through the software provided. My question is this,

"Can the HDD's be powered on and off independently or can they only be powered on and off as a pair"?

It will be exactly what I want if I can control the drives individually but will be of no use to me at all if I can only power them on and off as a connected pair.

Here's hoping that somebody knows the answer.

Thanks,

BryanB

parsec is offline Senior Member

Default Re: HDD Saver Function - Z97 Extreme 6 MB

The drives on the HDD Saver connection can only be controlled as a pair, not individually. The cable has two SATA power connectors and they are wired in parallel just like a standard SATA power cable. The connector on the board only has four pins, so no chance the drives can be controlled individually.

Still a nice feature IMO, but only works in AHCI mode. I was not able to get it working in RAID mode, even when the drives were not part of a RAID array.

Default Re: HDD Saver Function - Z97 Extreme 6 MB

Hi parsec,

Thank you very much for your help. I thought that that is how it would work but I did not know for sure. I am looking to have two large data HDD's and was going to install them through two power switchable hot swap caddies. Then I saw the HDD Saver function and hoped that it would allow me to isolate the HDD's individually. Oh well back to the original idea.

Thanks again,

BryanB

Thread Information