Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Z87 Extreme 4 (CPU question)

Default Z87 Extreme 4 (CPU question)

Hello everyone, I have a problem and I hope I can get some assistance with it. I currently have a Z87 Extreme 4 board I've purchased a week ago for my new build, I'm currently not using it, I bought it just to upgrade from my current rig which is a bit ancient. I'm still waiting for all the parts, and I have not yet chosen a CPU.

My problem lies on the rumours about Devil's Canyon not being compatible with the Z87 boards, I decided to wait for Devil's Canyon thinking it'd be compatible but apparently it isn't, and well, even if it was it'd require a BIOS upgrade which I cannot do without a CPU, so the dilemma here is whether should I go for the 4670k or is there a way to upgrade the BIOS without a CPU so I could be able to buy the DC alternative (4690K) if it happens to be compatible at all. Since there's no "official" information I ask here, see if anyone knows if the possibility to upgrade the BIOS is possible without a CPU.

Hope this was the right place to ask and thanks in advance.

parsec is offline Senior Member

Default Re: Z87 Extreme 4 (CPU question)

You can't update the BIOS without a CPU, since the board will not function at all without a processor. So you cannot start the BIOS/UEFI UI to run the Instant Flash option to update the BIOS.

Regarding DC processor compatibility, the only ASRock board so far that has a UEFI/BIOS update for DC is the Z97 Extreme 6. I've been checking the ASRock Z87 boards for UEFI updates for DC, but none so far. IMO, DC will only be supported by Intel 9 series chipset boards, at least at first, IF there is really no technical reason they cannot be used with 8 series chipset boards. Unless Intel will strictly enforce no microcode updates for the 8 series boards, again assuming there are no technical reasons DC cannot be used with those boards.

We most likely won't know how this will turn out for at least two weeks. June 2 is the first potential date for DC release, and I don't see them listed at a major online retailer in the USA.

Default Re: Z87 Extreme 4 (CPU question)

Thanks for the answer, I think I'll just go ahead and stick with the 4670K then because there's no way I'm gonna be able to use the 4690K, only if it somehow wouldn't require a BIOS update.

Thread Information