Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Boot menu <F11> is an empty page

vuldin is offline Junior Member

Default Boot menu <F11> is an empty page

When I initially setup my computer I installed Windows8.1. During this time the boot menu populated as expected. On Friday I started the process of installing Linux and and many times since then I've rebooted in order to either boot from a USB drive or from the SSDs. Each time while Linux was installed and working I was able to use the boot menu without any issues. In order to install Linux, I switched the SATA mode to AHCI, and when Windows was installed I used RAID mode (not sure if that's related).

Now I'm going back to my Windows install, and I changed back to RAID mode in the UEFI BIOS, setup my RAID0 array, and then proceeded to install. Every time that I've needed to reboot I've checked the boot menu <F11> and every time it has been empty. Another weird thing is that now I don't have a stable Windows install... my system will randomly BSOD with the message 'page fault in nonpaged area'.

My current system is fresh install without any additional configuration done. There was an issue during the last part of the install where it came up with a repair message after installing all files to the system. I can't help but think my UEFI issues are related to my newly found system instability. I'm currently on v1.0 and I'm thinking about upgrading to a newer BIOS version, but in another thread someone said they couldn't successfully get 1.3 to work so I may go with one of the other options... 1.2 perhaps?

EDIT: Another new issue with UEFI is that my mouse no longer functions.
    Last edited by vuldin; 06-02-2014 at 10:29 AM.

Default Re: Boot menu <F11> is an empty page

I went ahead with updating to 1.3 and all seems great so far. I did the update with the Internet Flash option in UEFI. I'm going through a reinstall (this time with SATA in AHCI mode) and if the instability issues are still found I'll post an update.

parsec is offline Senior Member

So you were able to use 1.30 via the Internet Flash method? As you may recall, I had the problem using 1.30 using the UEFI file downloaded from our board's page at ASRock's website. You've inspired me to try that method for 1.30, but if it fails I won't blame you

I've used 1.20 longer than 1.00, and it has been fine.

Were your boot menu issues resolved using 1.30? That seemed implied in your second post.

If you are still having USB/mouse issues, IMO that is related to the lack of USB 2.0 ports on the board's I/O panel. My Microsoft Sculpt mouse and keyboard (wireless), which is designed for Windows 8 (which I use) has been finicky for use in the UEFI UI since I started using the Z97 Extreme 6. Trying to use the mouse and keyboard on a USB 3.0 port is an exercise in frustration. I had to add USB 2.0 ports on a PCI bracket connected to the USB 2.0 connector on the board in order to use them successfully. At times (right after UEFI update) I must use a wired USB mouse to set up the UEFI options before the mouse and keyboard will work. The best fix I've found for it (not 100%) is to enable Legacy USB support.

Your Windows installation sounds corrupted, I would try doing that over if you were asked to do a repair of a fresh Windows installation. Are you dual booting from one drive? Are you using UEFI booting installations on any of your OSes?

Off to try 1.30 via Internet Flash, if I'm not back here soon, you'll know why...

I'm back... and the result is... !@#$%^&*!!!!!

In other words, same result as the last time I tried 1.30, after the flash (via Internet Flash) I experience the one second on, two seconds off, cycle that repeats endlessly.

Of course I stopped the cycle much earlier than I did the first time, to save the torture on my PC components as they have power applied to them and removed every two seconds, and my SSDs count yet another Unsafe Shutdown in their SMART data, and a Power Cycle Count that is approaching that of the total Powered On Hours.

Recovered the board again with the backup UEFI, flashed to 1.20 again, which of course works perfectly. I will say that when something does work as it should on an ASRock board, you can depend on it. But when it doesn't work, it really doesn't work...

So as we say in the USA, strike two with UEFI 1.30 on my Z97 Extreme 6 board.

vuldin, I notice that you are using an i7-4790 CPU, which is a Haswell Refresh processor, but not one of the new Devils Canyon processors, or the new Pentium unlocked CPU, which are the main reason for this UEFI update. I use a standard Haswell i5-4670K. Just wondering if these facts are related to my problems with 1.30. Not that I expect you to know...

The only other thing I can think of that might be causing this problem is that I am UEFI booting Windows 8.1 (CSM disabled, UEFI boot loader used), and part of the 1.30 update is to the VBIOS for the Intel IGP graphics. I've updated the UEFI on my ASRock Z77 and Z87 boards with CSM disabled, and did that with my now three flashes to 1.20.

No warnings about that in the instructions, so I'm at a loss for an explanation.

I suppose I will need to wait for more users of this board to experience failures with 1.30 before it is looked into, unless it's just my problem for some reason.

That's messed up that you again had issues with 1.3. My system is back to normal after applying the update. The only other thing I did before reinstalling Windows was boot into an archlinux liveCD and delete all partition information (as well as create a new gpt partition table) on both SSDs.

One other difference between your situation and mine is that I came from 1.0 and you came from 1.2. I wouldn't think this would be an issue though since updating the BIOS seems to reset all configuration back to default settings. I'm not sure if it would be worth it, but maybe you could downgrade to 1.0 and then upgrade to 1.3?

Sorry for the thread hijack BTW, glad you're back to normal now. I still get occasional mouse and keyboard problems, right after a UEFI update, but that is not unheard of.

Your theory about going from 1.00 to 1.30 is logical, but as you said who would think you would need to do it that way?

I'm just surprised that I'm having this issue, since my other three ASRock boards have never had a UEFI update issue. My Z77 board has had at least 13 UEFI updates, the Z87 at least six. Of course the Z97's 1.30 is unique compared to the others, so who knows.

I have no desperate need for 1.30, so I'll let some time pass and see what happens. I might try your theory out, since I'm becoming an expert at recovering and flashing UEFIs quickly. I can tell you the UEFI recovery operation works perfectly...

Thread Information