Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: H77 Pro4/MVP and LSI 9240-8i problem

Default Re: H77 Pro4/MVP and LSI 9240-8i problem

Quote Originally Posted by Audi2014 View Post
    The latest available FW is in use. It's quite old (data 2013 something) but there are no recent available. And yes, it's genuine LSI 9240-8i..
    2013 something???

The latest date anyways on the FW file for download, inside the D/L'able zip, at LSI for the 9240-8i is dated March 12 2014, downloadable from HERE.

20.13.1-0176 (4.12). It also has an updated UEFI driver among others inside. StorCLI.efi <- hint hint, Google it
    #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
    ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - G.Skill RAM Configurator for your boardSamsung Memory for your boardLatest AMD Chipset Drivers/WindowsLatest AMD Graphics Drivers/WindowsLatest Intel Drivers

#3 - Please use the eXtreme Outer Vision Power Supply Calculator found HERE to determine if it might be your PSU at issue.
    ____Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Interesting.. when I checked 1-2 months ago there wasn't newer firmware available. Now there is and dated 2014-05-09. Will do the update ASAP and hopefully now the card starts to work. Thanks!

Updated the firmware to the latest available but still not able to access the card via megacli (./MegaCli64 -adpCount results 0).

Could the solution be to flash the firmware to IT version? I don't need RAID functionality of the card but SATA ports and what I've read is that the card gets more stable also in IT mode.

If you don't need RAID, yea, IT is an option.

If the card and drives connected to it hasn't been config'd for RAID it should be operating in pass through.

You haven't yet said why or what is bothering you with it. Other than you can't command line to the card. If you don't use RAID there's really no reason to command line in.

Unless, like many users using these cards for just what you are, you don't like to wait for the card to initialize, while booting. In which case IT Mode does speed booting through/past it.
    #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
    ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - G.Skill RAM Configurator for your boardSamsung Memory for your boardLatest AMD Chipset Drivers/WindowsLatest AMD Graphics Drivers/WindowsLatest Intel Drivers

#3 - Please use the eXtreme Outer Vision Power Supply Calculator found HERE to determine if it might be your PSU at issue.
    ____Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Quote Originally Posted by - wardog - View Post
    Unless, like many users using these cards for just what you are, you don't like to wait for the card to initialize, while booting. In which case IT Mode does speed booting through/past it.
    If that's the true reason here, I'd caution against it as there is little real world gain to be had in IT mode. Other that faster booting really.

Not to mention I doubt since the card is unseen by the MB's BIOS that you can actually flash IT to it. That's the tricky part to flashing these, finding a MB that recognizes the card, that FLASH works with. It must first be recognized, then and only then will FLASH work properly. I've read some posts, so caution is advised, if it's working fine when you add drives to it in the current IR mode, leave it that way. Some posters have somehow munged their cards in the process. For what ever reason(s). Useless.

Quote Originally Posted by - wardog - View Post
    If you don't need RAID, yea, IT is an option.

If the card and drives connected to it hasn't been config'd for RAID it should be operating in pass through.

You haven't yet said why or what is bothering you with it. Other than you can't command line to the card. If you don't use RAID there's really no reason to command line in.

Sorry if I've been unclear with the problem. Simply put, I cannot use HD connected to the card under OpenSUSE. HD is not shown anywhere. I had the drive configured via WebBIOS but remains unvisible/unaccessible. I could live without LSI MegaRAID management tools if I could just access the drive. That's the reason I started thinking of IT firmware to get rid of all RAID functionality and making the card usable.

The firmware update was made on older mboard without problems. And if I change the firmware then I'll do that as well on the older mboard.

Just to verify: IT firmware for the 9240-8i card is actually same as 9211-8i firmware (IR/IT) and I can use the latest available from LSI site? At least this kind of impression I've got after reading various places. Procedure to change the firmware is quite different than updating the firmware.

Quote Originally Posted by Audi2014 View Post
    Procedure to change the firmware is quite different than updating the firmware.
    OHhhhh yea.

As for IT Mode flashing all I can say is read up, then read some more. Contact LSI if needed. Scared the daylights outta me the first time I did it. As I'm sure it will you too. Yet I came out at the end with a working card(s).

Were you in WebBIOS or HII?

Try this. Connect a freshly formatted HDD. Is it seen by the OS upon booting?

I used WebBIOS to configure the HD but it does not show up in OS. I'll check IT firmware if that sorts out the problem. Change of the firmware seems quite straight forward. A bit strange that 9211-8i firmware can be used directly but eases up my tasks :)

Tried changing the firmware to 9211-8i to the first card and now I can use drive connected to the card. Finally some progress with the card! Need to test the card a bit to be sure that it works fine before I'll start ordering more drives.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information