Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: H77 Pro4/MVP and LSI 9240-8i problem

Default H77 Pro4/MVP and LSI 9240-8i problem

Hopefully someone can help me with the LSI 9240-8i MegaRAID card problem and AsRock H77 Pro4/MVP board. I tried asking help from AsRock support but haven't received any response yet (more than week has passed).

The problem is that I cannot access the card from shell or via tools. StorCLI and MegaCLI both report that no adapters are found. According to LSI support the problem is probably with the motherboard that it fails to provide sufficient RAM for the card (the card does not have own RAM). I tried giving 32MB RAM for the card via BIOS and also set PCIe to Gen2 but these didn't solve the problem.

This card is installed on my server thus I have limited possibilities for trial-and-error because there are other people who depend on the availability of the server.

I'm using onboard gfx thus the card is installed to the first (the closest slot to CPU) slot. All 8 SATA slots of the mboard are already in use.

OS: OpenSUSE tumbleweed (kinda rolling distro). Kernel module is loaded nicely during boot so there is official support for the card.

So, what should I do to fix the problem? BIOS settings? New mboard?

vuldin is offline Junior Member

Default Re: H77 Pro4/MVP and LSI 9240-8i problem

The more I have to deal with fakeRAID (which seems to be gaining popularity) the more I wish I had an actual RAID card like what you have. I don't see ASRock anywhere on the LSI card's support list so it could very well be an issue that was never seen by the manufacturer (of either device). Are you using the latest BIOS for that motherboard? BIOS versions 1.5 and 1.7 each have made changes to how PCIe is handled on that board, especially 1.7 where it says they have improved PCIe1 compatibility (1.5 made improvements to auto detecting PCIe link speed).

If updating the BIOS doesn't help, then maybe someone has experience with these cards on some other ASRock board that would help here. Otherwise ASRock support may have to get involved directly.

I have the latest BIOS. Without it I was not able to enter to WebBIOS of the card.

I tried contacting AsRock's tech support via their web page but never got any response. Is there any direct email address there to send email?

Are you booting into the/a (U)EFI environment? If so, stop, and try booting into a non-(U)EFI enviroment.

You were in contact with LSI Techs. Did they/you verify you have the latest 9240-8i FW installed?I guess here I should ask, is it a true LSI 9240-8i, or is it like, say, my IBM M1015's, only crossflashed to LSI FW?
    #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
    ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - G.Skill RAM Configurator for your boardSamsung Memory for your boardLatest AMD Chipset Drivers/WindowsLatest AMD Graphics Drivers/WindowsLatest Intel Drivers

#3 - Please use the eXtreme Outer Vision Power Supply Calculator found HERE to determine if it might be your PSU at issue.
    ____Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Quote Originally Posted by Audi2014 View Post
    This card is installed on my server thus I have limited possibilities for trial-and-error because there are other people who depend on the availability of the server.

So, what should I do to fix the problem? BIOS settings? New mboard?
    I guess I'm lost. You put the card into a server yet did no application testing and only now you find yourself in this predicament?

Or where the apps working previously on these particular parts that your server is comprised? And now aren't?

LSI + (U)EFI usually equals problems. My guess is it isn't per se an ASRock or BIOS question/cure, but instead an LSI FW issue.
    #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
    ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - G.Skill RAM Configurator for your boardSamsung Memory for your boardLatest AMD Chipset Drivers/WindowsLatest AMD Graphics Drivers/WindowsLatest Intel Drivers

#3 - Please use the eXtreme Outer Vision Power Supply Calculator found HERE to determine if it might be your PSU at issue.
    ____Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Quote Originally Posted by - wardog - View Post
    Are you booting into the/a (U)EFI environment? If so, stop, and try booting into a non-(U)EFI enviroment.

You were in contact with LSI Techs. Did they/you verify you have the latest 9240-8i FW installed?I guess here I should ask, is it a true LSI 9240-8i, or is it like, say, my IBM M1015's, only crossflashed to LSI FW?
    I believe I'm booting into UEFI environment. Haven't checked but I guess that is the default and I haven't changed that.

The latest available FW is in use. It's quite old (data 2013 something) but there are no recent available. And yes, it's genuine LSI 9240-8i..

Quote Originally Posted by - wardog - View Post
    I guess I'm lost. You put the card into a server yet did no application testing and only now you find yourself in this predicament?

Or where the apps working previously on these particular parts that your server is comprised? And now aren't?

LSI + (U)EFI usually equals problems. My guess is it isn't per se an ASRock or BIOS question/cure, but instead an LSI FW issue.
    Luckily this is not a critical server thus short downtimes are quite acceptable. And no, I didn't have luxury to try out the card in duplicated environment prior installation. I did some pre-study on the matter but none revealed that the card have issues with my mboard. Now that I have these issues I can find few other cases where people have issues with the card and various different mboards. Some have been able to solve, some haven't.

Other parts of the server works fine. It's just that I cannot add more drives and I'm almost out of HD space..

I'll try further testing with disabling UEFI if it's doable. If not then I think I'm pretty much forced to purchase new mboard.

Quote Originally Posted by Audi2014 View Post
    I believe I'm booting into UEFI environment. Haven't checked but I guess that is the default and I haven't changed that.

The latest available FW is in use. It's quite old (data 2013 something) but there are no recent available. And yes, it's genuine LSI 9240-8i..
    Maybe I'm missing something obvious but I see no setting to disable UEFI. It's the only way to boot the mboard.

How can I disable UEFI boot?

vuldin is offline Junior Member

I went through the online manual and I see no way to boot this motherboard with anything but the UEFI BIOS. Maybe there were previous motherboards that had this option available and those people who are used to that functionality assumed it's still around? I haven't combed through the manual for my two ASRock boards but I don't recall seeing such an option there either.

Starts to be quite evident that it's the board which is the issue and I need to get a new one. Seems that I'll need to focus more on the server side boards (C216 chipset) instead of these kind of gaming/multimedia etc. boards.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information