Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Should this MB be using Default Win7 display drivers? FM2A88M Extreme4+

Default Should this MB be using Default Win7 display drivers? FM2A88M Extreme4+

Hello
    Maybe I should be asking a more basic question about why I can't select any 'Sleep" options:

• should my MB -FM2A88M Extreme4+ be using its own display drivers, or should it be using Win7 Pro default drivers - (VGAPNP.SYS) which it currently is using?

• The Umart Tech support can't help me with this and Asrock Support link sends me here. I have run the MB setup wizard and downloaded the latest firmware updates to no avail .

• Do I have to install a graphics card to get this function?

Command Line survey yields this:
    Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]
    Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

D:\Windows\system32>sfc /scannow

Beginning system scan. This process will take some time.

Beginning verification phase of system scan.
    Verification 100% complete.

Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations.

D:\Windows\system32>
    D:\Windows\system32>powercfg -list

Existing Power Schemes (* Active)
    -----------------------------------
    Power Scheme GUID: 381b4222-f694-41f0-9685-ff5bb260df2e (Balanced)
    Power Scheme GUID: 8c5e7fda-e8bf-4a96-9a85-a6e23a8c635c (High performance)
    Power Scheme GUID: a1841308-3541-4fab-bc81-f71556f20b4a (Power saver)
    Power Scheme GUID: e8313a79-eeff-4a8e-9877-381e3d985eeb (Bri always on) *

D:\Windows\system32>powercfg -l

Existing Power Schemes (* Active)
    -----------------------------------
    Power Scheme GUID: 381b4222-f694-41f0-9685-ff5bb260df2e (Balanced)
    Power Scheme GUID: 8c5e7fda-e8bf-4a96-9a85-a6e23a8c635c (High performance)
    Power Scheme GUID: a1841308-3541-4fab-bc81-f71556f20b4a (Power saver)
    Power Scheme GUID: e8313a79-eeff-4a8e-9877-381e3d985eeb (Bri always on) *

D:\Windows\system32>powercfg -availablesleepstates
    The following sleep states are available on this system: Hibernate
    The following sleep states are not available on this system:
    Standby (S1)
    The system firmware does not support this standby state.
    The VGAPNP.SYS display driver does not support standby. Please consult
    your hardware vendor for an updated display driver.
    Standby (S2)
    The system firmware does not support this standby state.
    Standby (S3)
    Hybrid Sleep
    D:\Windows\system32>powercfg -devicequery
    Invalid Parameters -- try "/?" for help

D:\Windows\system32>powercfg -devicequery S2_supported
    USB Input Device
    Volume Manager
    Virtual PC Host Bus Driver
    Microsoft System Management BIOS Driver
    AMD USB 3.0 Root Hub
    WAN Miniport (IKEv2)
    USB Composite Device (001)
    AMD USB 3.0 Root Hub (001)
    WAN Miniport (L2TP)
    USB Input Device (001)
    WAN Miniport (Network Monitor)
    WAN Miniport (IP)
    USB Input Device (003)
    WAN Miniport (IPv6)
    WAN Miniport (PPPOE)
    UMBus Enumerator
    HID-compliant mouse
    WAN Miniport (PPTP)
    Microsoft 6to4 Adapter
    WAN Miniport (SSTP)
    Microsoft ISATAP Adapter #2
    Remote Desktop Device Redirector Bus
    Microsoft ISATAP Adapter #3
    USB Root Hub (002)
    Terminal Server Keyboard Driver
    HID Keyboard Device
    Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface
    USB Root Hub (003)
    Terminal Server Mouse Driver
    ACPI x64-based PC
    Plug and Play Software Device Enumerator
    USB Root Hub (004)
    Acronis Backup Archive Explorer
    HID-compliant consumer control device
    Atheros Bluetooth Bus
    USB Root Hub (005)
    File as Volume Driver
    UMBus Root Bus Enumerator
    Microsoft Virtual Drive Enumerator Driver
    Composite Bus Enumerator
    USB Root Hub (006)
    HID-compliant device (002)
    USB Virtualization Connector Driver
    Microsoft Composite Battery

D:\Windows\system32>

parsec is offline Senior Member

Default Re: Should this MB be using Default Win7 display drivers? FM2A88M Extreme4+

First, it would help to know what AMD APU you have, or video card.

When you install Windows of any version, if it has a native (included with it) video driver that can be used with whatever video source it detects, it will install it. That is great, since you wouldn't have any video to the monitor without it.

What do you mean by, "Do I have to install a graphics card to get this function?. What function do you mean?

The Windows video driver cannot be optimal for your video source, and Windows Update (did you try that?) may not find the appropriate driver right away, given all the updates it wants you to install. A video driver will be listed under "Optional Updates", if it can find one.

Your board's download page, here: ASRock > FM2A88M Extreme4+

... includes a video driver for the graphics included with AMD APUs, that is the VGA driver Windows 7 64bit ver:13.351.1007.0, which is really included in one large download file that works with multiple versions of Windows and AMD APUs. That is one source of your video driver, assuming you are using the graphics in your APU.

Another source of the video driver would be AMD itself, but since I don't know what your hardware is, I can't point you to anything.

If you are using a separate video card, the best driver for that is either on the CD that came with the card, or downloaded from the manufacture's website.

More basic question, did you install Windows yourself, or was that included with the PC you apparently bought?

If you did it yourself, you are responsible for making sure all the drivers are installed, even if you let Windows do it for you. That assumes your network connection is working, which is not a given.

For example, on your board's download page is the file: AMD all in 1 driver ver:8.0.916.0, which contains the most basic driver and information files about the hardware on your board and APU. That is the FIRST thing that should be run after installing Windows to set up your board and Windows installation pair. Without that, the behavior of your system will be random in some areas, such as the ability to Sleep.

Sleep problems can be caused by many things, but you must get the basics taken care of before you can look for other causes.

Default Re: Should this MB be using Default Win7 display drivers? FM2A88M Extreme4+

Thanks again, Parsecs
    It turns out that Windows update, Asrock update and Driver Reviver scans missed the AMD driver problem. I went to AMD and downloaded the latest "Catalyst Suite". And although remember that I had installed it from the IEFU boot environment) and that it had seemed to install it -(I don't know where), but it wasn't where it should be on the System Drive/Partition.
    Problem solved.)
    Thanks again for getting me going in the right direction.
    Below are things that I wrote before I found the cure for the sake of others who may encounter this in the future.
    Rollo

Quote Originally Posted by parsec View Post
    First, it would help to know what AMD APU you have, or video card.

• Here are the specs:

Supports AMD Quad CrossFireX™, CrossFireX™ and Dual Graphics

Integrated AMD Radeon™ R7/R5 Series Graphics in A-series APU

What do you mean by, "Do I have to install a graphics card to get this function?. What function do you mean?
    • Sleep

The Windows video driver cannot be optimal for your video source, and Windows Update (did you try that?) may not find the appropriate driver right away, given all the updates it wants you to install. A video driver will be listed under "Optional Updates", if it can find one.
    • Already Done

Your board's download page, here: ASRock > FM2A88M Extreme4+... includes a video driver for the graphics included with AMD APUs, that is the VGA driver Windows 7 64bit ver:13.351.1007.0, which is really included in one large download file that works with multiple versions of Windows and AMD APUs. That is one source of your video driver, assuming you are using the graphics in your APU.

Another source of the video driver would be AMD itself, but since I don't know what your hardware is, I can't point you to anything.
    • I did a Driver Reviver check and all drivers are up to date

If you are using a separate video card, the best driver for that is either on the CD that came with the card, or downloaded from the manufacture's website.
    • I am using onboard mb device

More basic question, did you install Windows yourself, or was that included with the PC you apparently bought?

If you did it yourself, you are responsible for making sure all the drivers are installed, even if you let Windows do it for you. That assumes your network connection is working, which is not a given.
    • Network connection is great. I installed W7 by myself.

For example, on your board's download page is the file: AMD all in 1 driver ver:8.0.916.0, which contains the most basic driver and information files about the hardware on your board and APU. That is the FIRST thing that should be run after installing Windows to set up your board and Windows installation pair. Without that, the behavior of your system will be random in some areas, such as the ability to Sleep.
    • Yes I used the "All in One" driver utility and the uify live-online update thingo at least twice

Sleep problems can be caused by many things, but you must get the basics taken care of before you can look for other causes.

parsec is offline Senior Member

Great, glad that helped. I imagine that the driver updates and scan found a functioning video driver installed already, even if it was the basic Windows video driver.

Interesting too that Windows update, Asrock update and Driver Reviver didn't think to check the cpu firmware. But thanks again for your guidance
    Rollo

Quote Originally Posted by parsec View Post
    Great, glad that helped. I imagine that the driver updates and scan found a functioning video driver installed already, even if it was the basic Windows video driver.

Thread Information