Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Asrock Z87 Boards: Will they support Devils Canyon like ASUS has announced ?

Default Re: Asrock Z87 Boards: Will they support Devils Canyon like ASUS has announced ?

Quote Originally Posted by parsec View Post
    Did I delid my i5-4670K? Nope.

I use that CPU in two ways, one with a 4.3GHz OC, which IMO is the point beyond which the CPU temperature becomes a problem. This is on a ASR Z87 EX 6 board. That CPU is the first one I've ever used that experienced thermal throttling while stress testing (cores reaching 100C), but that on a simple AIO liquid cooler at 4.5GHz. Of course that was before ASRock added negative offset voltage to the Adaptive voltage option, so I should be able to do better now. But I was drawn into the dark side...

The second way is by embracing the main advancement of Haswell, power saving. That is, using stock multipliers and Adaptive voltage with negative offsets, I can run it at 3.8GHz at just over one volt, with a 55C CPU temp with the same AIO cooler while stress testing. At idle with all CPU power saving options enabled down to and including C7, I see CPU package power usage of under 0.250W. My i7-2600K uses up to 40 times that much power at idle, an i5-3570K uses 28 times the Haswell power level.

In that second mode, the entire PC uses less than 60W of power unless stress testing, and then never more than 120W. That's with six fans, five drives, and IGP graphics of course. If I need CPU OC strength, I use the i7-2600K or i5-3570K PCs.

I can't find the files now (of course) but I could swear in Prime95 I was into the low 100 GFLOPs at 3.8GHz with the i5-4670K.

I wondered why Intel only listed the Fatality Z87 Professional as DC compatible, but not other ASRock boards that are simply better built. The answer seems to be the Fatality Z87 Professional board is the only ASRock board, and one of only a few boards from all manufactures that qualifies (or is potentially qualified) as being "IXTU Certified". That is, the board meets criteria based upon how well it interacts with the Intel Extreme Tuning Utility.
    Yep power consumption @ idle and load is really nice with haswell. The negative offest you use for stress testing is nice feature for Asrock boards, I noticed my board has that too, but since I dont use any AVX/AVX2 programs I dont need to use. I just use adaptive mode without offsets.

Not just the Fatal1ty Z87 Professional is DC compatible, Intel processor compatibility list has nearly all the Asrock Z87 compatible with 4690/4790K devils canyon>> MotherBoards by ChipSet Name
    i7-4770K (Custom Water)
    Asrock Fatal1ty Z87 Professional (BIOS 1.70)

parsec is offline Senior Member

Default Re: Asrock Z87 Boards: Will they support Devils Canyon like ASUS has announced ?

That's great! Now if only ASRock would add DC processors to the board's compatibility lists. The last UEFI update for my Z87 Extreme 6 board was in 12/2013, unless the one before that that states it adds support for new Intel 4th generation processors includes DC.

Heads up :

Just checked Asrock website and they have added a new BIOS that supports Devils canyon cpus (4790K, 4690K) for Z87 Fatal1ty Professional.

Good work Asrock !

ie.

BIOS 1.90 7/28/2014

1. Update Instant Flash Module.
    2. Update Intel(R) ME.
    3. Support i7-4790K, i5-4690K and IntelŪ PentiumŪ G3258 EZ OC.
    4. Adjust "Intel(R) Smart Connect Technology" setting.
    i7-4770K (Custom Water)
    Asrock Fatal1ty Z87 Professional (BIOS 1.70)

parsec is offline Senior Member

Yes, ASRock is day by day adding updated DC and G3258 BIOS' for their Intel 8 series chipset boards, and some 9 series boards too.

My poor Z87 Extreme 6 has yet to get one of these updates, although a beta BIOS added not to long ago allows you to OC a G3258, which would not work without it.

Yes I have a G3258, and I think it is great! If you don't need the power of four cores and four or eight threads, this processor is just fine. I can easily OC my sample to 4.0GHz, with a maximum VID of 1.12V, using Adaptive voltage. I can set the CPU Input voltage to 1.536V for this OC (yes, 1.536V), a higher voltage does nothing to help.

To get to 4.2GHz, I must jump to a VID of 1.20V, not bad but an indication of things to come with higher OCs.

Do you want to hear the strangest thing about the beta BIOS (2.34) for this board, that allows the G3258 to be OC? It displays the Turbo Boost option in the OC Tweaker screen, although this CPU does not support Turbo. The previous BIOS version would not display the Turbo option when a processor that does not support Turbo is used in the board, which makes sense.

I found the Turbo option must be available and set to enabled in order for any multiplier OC to actually work. With the standard BIOS I could change the multiplier to 40, but the processor would run at its standard max of 3.2GHz/32 multi.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information