Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Asrock 970 Extreme4 Need AHCI non-raid drivers

larhome is offline Junior Member

Default Asrock 970 Extreme4 Need AHCI non-raid drivers

I have an Asrock 970 Extreme4 motherboard and will be installing Windows7-64.<o:p></o:p>
    I am trying to install the AHCI drivers (non raid)and have found verylittle information on where to get the drivers and how to install –load while installingwindows 7. I did change bios to AHCI instead of IDE or RAID prior to installingOS. <o:p></o:p>
    I found out that if you simply bootyour motherboard chipset disc- that it will copy AHCI drivers to a usbflash drive using “DR-DOS” program. Then as you load windows 7 and chooseAdvanced then Load.. point it to the usbdrive that it just made.
    Asrock 970 Extreme4 Need AHCI non-raid drivers-aa970-10-jpg

This is the boot screen:<o:p></o:p>

Driver Disk Preparer vl.07 - ASRockIncorporation, all rights reserved
    Model Name: 970 Extreme4<o:p></o:p>

Generate Serial ATA Driverdiskette? (Y/N)<o:p></o:p>
    Source: Generate the RAID/AHCI driverdiskette for AMD South Bridge Chipset
    Destination: USB drive - 3.77GB<o:p></o:p>

Warning: All data in the diskwill be destroyed, proceed? (Y/N)
    writing driver image: 100% complete
    Insert the driver disk when install OS<o:p></o:p>

Reboot system now<o:p></o:p>
    Press any key to continue . . ._<o:p></o:p>
    <o:p></o:p>
    However after looking at the readme.txt file it appears to be for AHCI\Raid<o:p></o:p>
    AMD AHCI Compatible RAIDDriver Diskette<o:p></o:p>
    README TXT This readme file<o:p></o:p>
    AHCIx86 Microsoft Windows miniportdisk label file <o:p></o:p>
    AHCIx64 Microsoft Windows miniportdisk label file <o:p></o:p>
    TXTSETUP OEM Microsoft Windows miniport text mode setup file<o:p></o:p>
    x86\AHCIx86 INF Microsoft Windows miniport setup file<o:p></o:p>
    x86\AHCIx86 SYS Microsoft Windows miniport driver for x86compatible platforms<o:p></o:p>
    x86\AHCIx86 CAT Microsoft Windows WHQL Certified catalogfile<o:p></o:p>
    x64\AHCIx64 INF Microsoft Windows miniport setup file<o:p></o:p>
    x64\AHCIx64 SYS Microsoft Windows miniport driver for x64platforms<o:p></o:p>
    x64\AHCIx64 CAT Microsoft Windows WHQL Certified catalogfile<o:p></o:p>
    Software Version<o:p></o:p>
    Microsoft Windows miniportdriver 3.2.1540.75<o:p></o:p>
    <o:p></o:p>
    Any ideas?<o:p></o:p>

Default Re: Asrock 970 Extreme4 Need AHCI non-raid drivers

you don't need them if using win7/8

windows has the drivers and installs them automatically for you,its only xp and maybe vista not sure that you need to pre install them before windows install

so all you have to do is first set to ahci in bios then install windows and that's it
    Gigabyte z77x UP4-TH F11c Modded Bios
    Intel i7 3770k 24/7@4.8ghz 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
    Samsung Green(MV-3V4G3D/US) 8GB @2133mhz 9-10-10-21-1t 1.55v
    Thermalright Silver Arrow Cpu Cooler
    1xSamsung 840 pro 256 Gb SSD windows 8.1 pro 64bit
    1xSamsung f4 HD204UI 2tb hard drive Storage
    Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
    Razer Lycosa Keyboard
    Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
    Lite-On iHAS124-19 24x Sata DVDRW
    K-World Hybrid DVB-T 210SE Digital T.V Card
    L.G E2260V L.E.D 1920x1080 Monitor
    Xfx Pro 750w silver rated Psu 80+
    Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!
    http://www.youtube.com/user/warren304#p/u Visit Me On Youtube

Lots Of Gaming Videos With X58 Ud5 System And Gpu On My Youtube Channel!!
    Just Uploaded New Battlefield 4 Video!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

parsec is offline Senior Member

wazza is basically correct, since Windows will install its own generic AHCI driver during the installation when the SATA mode is set to AHCI.

AMD and Intel both have their own AHCI drivers, which are actually also their RAID drivers. The drivers serve both purposes, as an AHCI or RAID driver. You can see that yourself in the description of the driver from the disk, "Generate the RAID/AHCI driverdiskette for AMD South Bridge Chipset.

But as wazza said, you do not need to create and use that driver which can be written to a USB flash drive. That is only required for XP and Vista that do not have their own AHCI driver. The driver on the disk is generally called the "Pre-install RAID/AHCI" driver, and is really only useful if you were using RAID mode, but again is not required for Windows 7. Pre-install refers to loading it just before the Windows installation begins, when that option is available.

You can install the AMD AHCI driver after Windows is installed, which will take the place of the Windows AHCI driver. The AMD AHCI driver might perform better than the Windows AHCI driver.

The AMD AHCI driver is part of the "AMD all in 1 driver ver:12.3" for you board, which should be the first thing you install from the board's disk after you install Windows. If it does not automatically install the AMD AHCI driver, and that matters to you, we can give you more help.

Windows Update will also likely give you the option of downloading and installing the AMD AHCI driver.

Thank you to both wazza300 and parsec.

In the past I have used only IDE mode for all my PC's.
    The reason being is that I have seen problems where my imaging program would not boot from the linux or Win PE boot disc when using AHCI mode. It is the worst way to discover that you can't restore an image because it can't see the drive.

But with the price of SSD's getting more affordable it may be wise to set up a PC using AHCI from the get-go.

I will re-intall and let you know the details.

parsec is offline Senior Member

AHCI mode and drivers have been standards for a while now, since the release of Windows 7, not sure about when Linux had an AHCI driver, probably before Windows.

AHCI was originally a set of enhancements meant to improve the performance of HDDs, and was designed before SSDs existed for PCs. AHCI was designed by Intel and Seagate.

One major feature of AHCI is Native Command Queuing (NCQ), that allows up to 32 I/O requests to be sent to a drive in one instruction/operation. A HDD could then check the addresses of the I/O requests, and sort them in a way that allowed them to be retrieved (reads) or written more efficiently, given the way HDDs work. Without NCQ, one I/O request is sent to a drive, it is processed and completed, and only then will another I/O request be passed to the drive. Plus the overhead of the file system and IDE protocol that occurs processing one request at a time is slow and inefficient. The CPU, file system, and drive spend (waste) time waiting on each other.

SSDs don't need to sort I/O requests for efficiency, but given their processing speed use NCQ to further enhance their performance.

Thanks again parsec for the information on AHCI.

I finished installing Windows 7-64 late last night.
    And I noticed that after first setting up windows that in Device manager there was an entry for Standard AHCI 1.0 Serial ATA Controller by Microsoft So I knew that I had selected AHCI Mode in the BIOS to begin with.
    Once I ran the Asrock AMD 970 motherboard support cd All in 1 driver it installed the AMD AHCI Driver Version 1.2.0.164 .0.164
    Also when I installed AMD Catalyst Software Suite (14-4-win7-win8-win8.1-64-dd-ccc-whql.exe) it affirmed that AHCI Driver Version 1.2.0.164 .0.164 was installed.
    I am using the snipping tool and copying install option procedures to Wordpad to track the options that I chose for each program.

I will reply again as soon as I install my imaging program and see if I can use their boot cd.
    Last edited by larhome; 06-07-2014 at 11:56 PM. Reason: forgot a word

Thread Information