Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: SM Bus Controller

parsec is offline Senior Member

Default Re: SM Bus Controller

Well, this is Intel's own solution to this problem:

Intel® Chipset Software Installation Utility — SMBus controller not recognized by Windows*

Intel provides the Intel® Chipset Software Installation Utility, now known as Intel® Chipset Device Software. This program does not install drivers, just the INF files for various hardware.

I have the same board as the OP of this thread, and I have seen Device Manager complaining about the SMBUS controller after a fresh installation of Windows. Currently, I don't have the SMBUS controller listed in Device Manager at all. I never installed a driver for this device, as some devices do not use or need a driver.

I think the problem may be related to the Chipset Device Software, which the OP said was installed, version INF driver ver:10.0.13, which is what ASRock calls this program. That is the latest version that Intel has available. While Windows 8.1 does not request a reboot of the PC after this installer has run, IMO a reboot is needed.

I noticed ASRock has a "beta" version of this program, INF driver ver:10.0.20, which I tried in one Windows 8.1 installation I did, and I believe this version has the correct INF file for this board's SMBUS controller.
    Last edited by parsec; 10-02-2014 at 09:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by parsec View Post
    Well, this is Intel's own solution to this problem:

Intel® Chipset Software Installation Utility — SMBus controller not recognized by Windows*

Intel provides the Intel® Chipset Software Installation Utility, now known as Intel® Chipset Device Software. This program does not install drivers, just the INF files for various hardware.

I have the same board as the OP of this thread, and I have seen Device Manager complaining about the SMBUS controller after a fresh installation of Windows. Currently, I don't have the SMBUS controller listed in Device Manager at all. I never installed a driver for this device, as some devices do not use or need a driver.

I think the problem may be related to the Chipset Device Software, which the OP said was installed, version INF driver ver:10.0.13, which is what ASRock calls this program. That is the latest version that Intel has available. While Windows 8.1 does not request a reboot of the PC after this installer has run, IMO a reboot is needed.

I noticed ASRock has a "beta" version of this program, INF driver ver:10.0.20, which I tried in one Windows 8.1 installation I did, and I believe this version has the correct INF file for this board's SMBUS controller.
    I downloaded that utility as well, and it failed to recognize the device in device manager also. I did not look at the board of the OP, but I also have an ASRock Z97 Pro3. I used the drivers and utilities that ASRock supplied with the mobo when I built my rig about a month ago, and that obviously must not have contained the correct driver. I did not check the ASRock site for the INF driver you are speaking of, but I can verify that the supplied driver in this thread did in fact fix the issue. What exactly is the SMBUS anyway? I just got tired of seeing the stupid ! in device manager, it was not causing me any obvious system issues.

SandsOfTime is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by renzore101 View Post
    What exactly is the SMBUS anyway?
    --> System Management Bus - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote Originally Posted by SandsOfTime View Post
    Most commonly it is found in computer motherboards for communication with the power source for ON/OFF instructions.
    It is derived from I²C for communication with low-bandwidth devices on a motherboard, especially power related chips such as a laptop's rechargeable battery subsystem (see Smart Battery System). Other devices might include temperature, fan or voltage sensors, lid switches and clock chips. PCI add-in cards may connect to an SMBus segment.
    A device can provide manufacturer information, indicate its model/part number, save its state for a suspend event, report different types of errors, accept control parameters and return status.

Hmm, this is making me wonder if this was causing an issue I have in fact been having with this PC since I built it. This PC will not stay in sleep mode, no matter what I do. I have made sure WOL features are off, and even went as far as to disable the keyboard and mouse from waking the device. None of this worked, and I was beginning to assume it was the power supply, as I got it as a combo deal on newegg with my tower, therefore it is of questionable quality. I wonder if this SMBus controller has anything to do with it though, I will try sleep mode again with any luck this will solve it.

EDIT: Well, unfortunately for me, this SM bus controller did not fix my sleep issue. Of course it couldn't be that easy! If anyone has any further advise on that please let me know. I am going to swap out the power supply soon, as I do not know where else to turn on this issue. Thank you!
    Last edited by renzore101; 10-04-2014 at 01:23 AM. Reason: Follow-up

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information