Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SM Bus Controller

saxamo is offline Junior Member

Question SM Bus Controller

Hello All,

New to the forums.. My other machine died on me the other day so I needed to get something going really quick, picked up some new parts. Operational. However, I do have one Device Manager issue. The SM Bus Controller is giving me the finger.

I have done the management install. I have done the INF install from ASRock and from Intel. I have utilized the cd rom with the mobo (ASRock Z97 Extreme6). I have even shot off an email to ASRock support but to no avail yet.

Any other ideas? Please advise... I appreciate your help and your time. If you need any other information please let me know.. If you need to see specs, I believe you can look at my profile for a list. Populated that on my way in.
    Kind regards,
    Saxamo

lotuspro is offline Junior Member

Default Re: SM Bus Controller

Quote Originally Posted by saxamo View Post
    Hello All,

New to the forums.. My other machine died on me the other day so I needed to get something going really quick, picked up some new parts. Operational. However, I do have one Device Manager issue. The SM Bus Controller is giving me the finger.

I have done the management install. I have done the INF install from ASRock and from Intel. I have utilized the cd rom with the mobo (ASRock Z97 Extreme6). I have even shot off an email to ASRock support but to no avail yet.

Any other ideas? Please advise... I appreciate your help and your time. If you need any other information please let me know.. If you need to see specs, I believe you can look at my profile for a list. Populated that on my way in.
    Hi The Jackal,

I have the same problem but have not yet found the solution. I tried the things that you have also, without success.
    I did get a response from Asrock TSD as follows: "This symptom might due to some devices driver not detected.
    Please refer below steps to check device ID and vendor ID. Device Management > right click that device > Properties > Details > select Property to Hardware Ids
    Please provide us these ID or snap shot for further check." I sent them several screenshots illustrating the problem, but have not yet had a reply. If I get something useful from them, I will spread the joy with a further post.
    I did find a driver from within Device Manager's store of drivers, but got the following warning, so did not proceed

SM Bus Controller-update-driver-warning-png

Would be interested to hear from others if they too are having this problem, particularly if they have found a workable solution.
    Regards
    John

Thumbs up Re: SM Bus Controller

Okay, after much searching I believe I found a driver that fits the bill..

Open management, go to the SM Bus Controller, then update driver, search local, point to this files extracted folder.. Should be all perfect after that. From what I see, this is the

Intel(R) PCH SMBus Controller - 8CA2 (Intel(R) SMBus 2.0 Driver)

Their might be a more updated driver out there, but this is the one I was fortunate enough to find. I even purchased driveragent to see if that could find the problem and get the driver, but it did not help. I wish I could get a refund now, as I will never need to use that program again.

HellsWinter Downloads

I hope this helps out.
    Last edited by saxamo; 06-10-2014 at 01:45 AM.
    Kind regards,
    Saxamo

lotuspro is offline Junior Member

Open management, go to the SM Bus Controller, then update driver, search local, point to this files extracted folder.. Should be all perfect after that. From what I see, this is the

Their might be a more updated driver out there, but this is the one I was fortunate enough to find. I even purchased driveragent to see if that could find the problem and get the driver, but it did not help. I wish I could get a refund now, as I will never need to use that program again.

HellsWinter Downloads

I hope this helps out.
    Hi The Jackal,
    Fixed it thank you, and properly, I believe. Well found.
    There are so many sites that promise to fix driver problems with a common thread: they find the hardware item that needs the driver and promise to fix it for you. and then charge you for the next step. I paid another well known site $20 for a fix that hid the problem and made me think it was solved. In reality they managed to get it out from under the 'unknown device' heading, but I later found it sitting in 'System Devices' with no driver installed!!
    Thanks again for your help,
    Kind regards
    John

Glad it worked out for you.. I have found that this is the most recent driver as well.

Just an fyi for those out there that are questioning water cooling the new way ( all in one's ). Just got my machine together and overall I would say that it is doing well with the h100i. They are having some issues with the corsair link for windows 8.1 but no worries. I just connected my rad fans to my case fan regulator (corsair graphite 600t) and pushed it up to about 1400RPMs(dual). It's not that loud in this case.

SM Bus Controller-speccytemps-jpg

also there is the Samsung magician. I used to do all these tweaks myself. I have found that this software does a great job to optimize your drive. That is an Samsung EVO, great price and on sale at newegg for 139.00. I am going to have to post another image since they do not allow more then one image per post.
    Kind regards,
    Saxamo

SM Bus Controller-samsung-jpg

Not bad for sitting here doing this post, opening up about 5 windows, photoshop etc... Good stuff..
    Kind regards,
    Saxamo

Joe-912 is offline Member

Hi The Jackel I see I use the same ssd as you, may I ask do you use Imaging software such as Acronis or macrium, reason I ask I have Acronis and when I backup C: drive Acronis speed tops out at like 35MB/s, first backup I done took just 9mins to backup 87GB after compression, but now it taks 45mins, can't understand why the masive speed drop, I've had the ssd 6 months, all the smart data comes back good and benchmarks good..
    just wondered if you do Image backups?
    I did post a while back but got no answers
    Thanks
    joe-912
    Asus Maximus 7 Hero > Corsair Obsidian 750d Airflow > Intel 4790K > Noctua NH-D15 > 16GB G-skill Sniper 2133 > Samsung SM951 256GB > Sandisk X400 512GB > Western digital black Sata 6 500GB > Western digital black 640GB > Windows 10 Pro 64 > Asus 27" MX279H Monitor > Gibabyte GTX 980Ti extreme

Hello Joe,

I actually do not use any backup software.. I find that if the OS crashes, well I will just reinstall. I usually turn off system restore as well and I will tell you why. A long time ago I found that taking my drive and partitioning it into a C: and D: made my life a bit easier, rather having a small OS drive C and then a larger data drive D:. What I then do, first and foremost is create a folder on my d drive, at root for dropbox. So D:/Dropbox, I pay my 9.99 cents a month for 100GB. Then I redirect my folders to that drive , so C:\Dropbox\Documents, Video, Pictures, Music. I then install dropbox and wala, all my files are back where they belong and after I install office or whatever, I just redirect in some cases the save location to that spot.

Obviously this allows me on multiple device to have my dropbox and all my data. If the drive dies, who cares... New drive, Dropbox, downloads everything.. Reinstalling an OS to me is fun and it keeps me in the loop on how to properly set up drive and options, tweaks.

I am sorry to say but I do not have any other backup software. As to why your speed has decreased I will assume that you have done an OS optimization, then a performance optimization, then a performance benchmark. Just let it do maximum performance. It works well enough for what needs to be done. You could tweak, and probably get back 10 GB's of drive space removing the hibernation file

powercfg.exe /h off or powercfg.exe /h on

Since space is so cheap today I am letting samsung do the tweaks. Sorry I don't have a better answer for you. I just never use backup software.
    Kind regards,
    Saxamo

Joe-912 is offline Member

Thanks for the reply, I do have the drive set for maximum reliablity but don't know if this has got anything to do with it, think i'ts always been set up like that, I dont use system restore never found it much use because I just do full images for backups, Yes I've done all the os optiization, I also use Rapid mode, got pagefile switched off and hiberfile switched off, I have got over provisioning on set at 5%, but I did try switching that off but same result, the ssd performs well apart from the backing up and as I said the first backup was rapid, can't figure it out, thanks anyhow
    Regards
    joe-912
    Asus Maximus 7 Hero > Corsair Obsidian 750d Airflow > Intel 4790K > Noctua NH-D15 > 16GB G-skill Sniper 2133 > Samsung SM951 256GB > Sandisk X400 512GB > Western digital black Sata 6 500GB > Western digital black 640GB > Windows 10 Pro 64 > Asus 27" MX279H Monitor > Gibabyte GTX 980Ti extreme

HellsWinter Downloads

I hope this helps out.
    Hello there tweaktown, I just wanted to confirm that this driver worked for me as well. Much appreciated as apparently the Intel driver update utility isn't worth a damn! Much appreciated, and thank you!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information