Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Need Help with 990FX KIller, will not boot in dual channel mode

Default Need Help with 990FX KIller, will not boot in dual channel mode

Hello, My System Specs are..
    (New) 990FX Killer
    16 gigs Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 (4x4 sticks)
    8320FX Processor
    Samsung EVO 250 SSD
    3x2 TB Western Digital HDS
    1 External Samsung 1TB USB
    NXFT 921 RB Case
    850W Cooler Master Pure Gold PSU
    AMD/Radeon 270X GPU
    Sony DVDRW/CDRW
    Creative Fatality Platinum Sound Card

The problem started when I upgraded the Processor from a 1090T Hexacore to the 8 core.

It will only run in single channel/1333 mode. I have tried setting the XMP in the bios and it still only lets me boot in single channel mode. CPUID shows it has 16 gigs, windows shows 16 gigs, but only 8 are usable. I checked the ram and it run in dual mode on my I7 system with no problem. I also used it on an older IVY Bridge system and still dual mode, showing all the ram; so I know it is not the ram. Messing around and changing the ram, I noticed that it only works in single the first red and black ram slots. It will not run the dual mode slots. The bios shows the ram is there in all 4 slots, all ram is matching, but it will not let me run it in XMP mode. When I managed to do it, the system would reboot when it got to normal windows. In safe mode there was no problem. However, when it reboots it goes back to single channel mode. I reset the bios and still does the same thing. Bios recognizes it, windows recognizes it but only allowing 8 usable from the first 2 ram slots and running single. CPUID shows there is 16, but running in single mode. I understand, from reading that this is a common problem with the 990FX platform and there are settings that need to be set in the bios. Does anyone know what those settings are to get it kicked into dual mode running the 1600 Corsair Vengeance?

Thanks for any help and input on this.

Default Re: Need Help with 990FX KIller, will not boot in dual channel mode

Don't use/set XMP. Try setting them manually in the BIOS, along with the DRAM Voltage. Also, you may need/want to bump the CPU/NB +0.005.
    #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
    ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - G.Skill RAM Configurator for your boardSamsung Memory for your boardLatest AMD Chipset Drivers/WindowsLatest AMD Graphics Drivers/WindowsLatest Intel Drivers

#3 - Please use the eXtreme Outer Vision Power Supply Calculator found HERE to determine if it might be your PSU at issue.
    ____Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

I called Asrock today, the problem they said is between the CPU and MOBO. I called Newegg and doing an RMA on both just to be sure.

I should of known something was wrong when nothing is showing as SATA3, even though everything plugged in is SATA3. Even the Samsung 840 SSD is saying please plug into a SATA3 slot.

Hi-

I am having virtually the same EXACT problem.

990FX EXtreme 9 MB, latest BIOS installed.
    16 gb G. Skill DDR3 (4x 4gb sticks)

Just Upgraded from 1090T to FX 8370 8-core.
    All 4 sticks of memory are visible and appear to be working fine, but MB will only boot to single channel and Win 8.1 64-bit will only say 8 gb of RAM is "useable". Can't figure out how to fix it.

MB appears to be fine, and was fine, hard to think that it is a MB issue (huge PITA if it is). MB is just under 19 months old.

Can anyone help?

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Southerncross View Post

The problem started when I upgraded the Processor from a 1090T Hexacore to the 8 core.

It will only run in single channel/1333 mode. I have tried setting the XMP in the bios and it still only lets me boot in single channel mode. CPUID shows it has 16 gigs, windows shows 16 gigs, but only 8 are usable. I checked the ram and it run in dual mode on my I7 system with no problem. I also used it on an older IVY Bridge system and still dual mode, showing all the ram; so I know it is not the ram. Messing around and changing the ram, I noticed that it only works in single the first red and black ram slots. It will not run the dual mode slots. The bios shows the ram is there in all 4 slots, all ram is matching, but it will not let me run it in XMP mode. When I managed to do it, the system would reboot when it got to normal windows. In safe mode there was no problem. However, when it reboots it goes back to single channel mode. I reset the bios and still does the same thing. Bios recognizes it, windows recognizes it but only allowing 8 usable from the first 2 ram slots and running single. CPUID shows there is 16, but running in single mode. I understand, from reading that this is a common problem with the 990FX platform and there are settings that need to be set in the bios. Does anyone know what those settings are to get it kicked into dual mode running the 1600 Corsair Vengeance?

Thanks for any help and input on this.

parsec is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bodacious View Post
    Hi-

I am having virtually the same EXACT problem.

990FX EXtreme 9 MB, latest BIOS installed.
    16 gb G. Skill DDR3 (4x 4gb sticks)

Just Upgraded from 1090T to FX 8370 8-core.
    All 4 sticks of memory are visible and appear to be working fine, but MB will only boot to single channel and Win 8.1 64-bit will only say 8 gb of RAM is "useable". Can't figure out how to fix it.

MB appears to be fine, and was fine, hard to think that it is a MB issue (huge PITA if it is). MB is just under 19 months old.

Can anyone help?

Thanks.
    Your FX 8370 CPU is not listed in your board's CPU Support list. It's a very new processor released about a month ago. It's possible that a BIOS update with new "CPU code" will be necessary to support your FX 8370.

When you changed processors from the 1090T to a FX 8370, did you clear the BIOS/CMOS? That is essential whenever a processor is changed.

Also, while the 1090T is four years old, its basic features are the same as others in the Phenom II line, so goes back farther than that. The memory controller in the 8370 has changed since that time, so some memory compatibility issues are not surprising.

Did you try the suggestion that wardog posted, of setting the memory speed of your memory (unknown speed, make and model) manually and not via the XMP profile?

Thread Information