Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: UEFI freezing and unable to update BIOS (ASRock z87 Pro4 - BIOS 1.30)

Angry UEFI freezing and unable to update BIOS (ASRock z87 Pro4 - BIOS 1.30)

Motherboard: ASRock z87 Pro4
    BIOS version: 1.30

I'm unable to update the Bios (or UEFI).

1. I've tried to run the Instant Flash inside the UEFI Tools menu, using a USB flash drive. The BIOS freezes at the "Searching" or, after listing file Z87 Pro4(2.00)ROM.zip. I need to reboot. I was unable to find info about this problem, the only thing that I've found is it may be related to the sound, so I've turned it off (f4 shortcut) everytime, but it still freezes.

2. I've tried to Flash letting the UEFI download it for me, but it was unable to connect...

3. I've tried to use the Windows installer option. After running it as administrator, I get the error: "Couldn't get the correct path!!". I found out the it was copying itself to "C:\Windows\Temp\BIOS\", so I tried to run it on this folder, and the error is "The BIOS files does not support this model!!"

I wounder why the BIOS files does not support my MOBO model, since I've download it from the actual MOBO page!!!

I've not tried to install using the last option, that is to create a Bootable USB because of the last error message (not supported MOBO).

So... I'm disappointed with the MOBO. Too buggy BIOS, unable to update, and unclear info at the MOBO page. I hope that at least the ASRock support is good.
    Last edited by Pedro77; 06-09-2014 at 01:13 AM.

parsec is offline Senior Member

Default Re: UEFI freezing and unable to update BIOS (ASRock z87 Pro4 - BIOS 1.30)

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro77 View Post
    Motherboard: ASRock z87 Pro4
    BIOS version: 1.30

I'm unable to update the Bios (or UEFI).

1. I've tried to run the Instant Flash inside the UEFI Tools menu, using a USB flash drive. The BIOS freezes at the "Searching" or, after listing file Z87 Pro4(2.00)ROM.zip. I need to reboot. I was unable to find info about this problem, the only thing that I've found is it may be related to the sound, so I've turned it off (f4 shortcut) everytime, but it still freezes.

2. I've tried to Flash letting the UEFI download it for me, but it was unable to connect...

3. I've tried to use the Windows installer option. After running it as administrator, I get the error: "Couldn't get the correct path!!". I found out the it was copying itself to "C:\Windows\Temp\BIOS\", so I tried to run it on this folder, and the error is "The BIOS files does not support this model!!"

I wounder why the BIOS files does not support my MOBO model, since I've download it from the actual MOBO page!!!

I've not tried to install using the last option, that is to create a Bootable USB because of the last error message (not supported MOBO).

So... I'm disappointed with the MOBO. Too buggy BIOS, unable to update, and unclear info at the MOBO page. I hope that at least the ASRock support is good.
    The problem you're having bothered a fair amount of users of several ASRock Z87 boards, although I managed to avoid it somehow. Once you get another BIOS version in that board, you shouldn't have this problem again.

I noticed one thing above that I must ask about, but it may not mean anything, just a typo. You listed the BIOS file on the USB flash drive as Z87 Pro4(2.00)ROM.zip, which is the file you downloaded. Just checking, you did unzip that file first and then copy the result to the USB flash drive, right? The file name should be Z87Pro42.00

Disabling the sound in the BIOS is known to help, but also unplug your speakers, headphones, whatever you have connected to the audio jacks. I know that sounds crazy, but I never had this problem with my ASRock Z87 board, and at the time I had nothing connected to the audio jacks on the board.

Also, the Windows BIOS update method seems to cause the most problems for users, Instant Flash is the safest method to use.

Default Re: UEFI freezing and unable to update BIOS (ASRock z87 Pro4 - BIOS 1.30)

Hello parsec,

about the unzipping, actually I did both, since ASRock instructions are not clear about it. The file appears at the bios Instant Flash, but the BIOS freezes.

edit:
    I've tried to flash unplugging the headphone and mic, I've also removed the GPU. But it still freezing. See photo:

If so many people had this problem, how they solved it?

thanks for your reply.
    Attached Images Attached Images UEFI freezing and unable to update BIOS (ASRock z87 Pro4 - BIOS 1.30)-asrock-z87-pro4-freeze-jpg 
    Last edited by Pedro77; 06-09-2014 at 03:04 AM.

Question Re: UEFI freezing and unable to update BIOS (ASRock z87 Pro4 - BIOS 1.30)

I found out why Windows flash installer wasn't working. Actually my MOBO is z87M, not z87. After downloading the right file I was able to update the BIOS through the Windows.

Thanks to parsec.
    Last edited by Pedro77; 06-11-2014 at 09:16 AM.

Thread Information