Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: ram compability, voltage and type. - Z97 Extreme4

Question ram compability, voltage and type. - Z97 Extreme4

Hi - I have:

16GB kit (8GBx2) DDR3 PC3-12800 Unbuffered NON-ECC 1.35V 16GB kit (8GBx2) DDR3 PC3-12800 Unbuffered NON-ECC 1.35V 1024Meg x 64 | Crucial USA
    and
    8GB Kit (4GBx2) DDR3 PC3-12800 Unbuffered NON-ECC 1.5V
    8GB Kit (4GBx2) DDR3 PC3-12800 Unbuffered NON-ECC 1.5V 512Meg x 64 | Crucial USA

(Currently I just have the 1.5v inserted, (8gb) and its working fine).

The differences I see is the volts and that "tracers" as TRUE for one and FALSE for the other.

Noticed on the board it says 1.5v next to where you insert the ram - can i still use the 1.35v ram?

If so, can I then mix these two rams without drawbacks? - or what drawbacks would that give?

Thanks!

parsec is offline Senior Member

Default Re: ram compability, voltage and type. - Z97 Extreme4

What are "tracers" and where do you see them?

The 1.5V you see on the board is most likely the Intel spec for the standard (maximum) memory voltage. You can and people do use more than 1.5V.

My Samsung memory is rated at 1.35V, but it can be used up to 1.5V (I've done it), and probably beyond. Not sure about your Crucial memory, but unless there are warnings about using more than 1.35V, 1.5V should be fine.

Whether or not both of your models of Crucial memory can be used together I don't know. Given the different memory chips on each model, they may not. The only way to know is to try.

According to Intel, when different capacity DIMMs are used in one or each channel, then the total memory in each channel will not be used in dual channel mode. In your case with both models used, 12GB total per channel, only 8GB per channel will function in dual channel mode.

Default Re: ram compability, voltage and type. - Z97 Extreme4

Quote Originally Posted by parsec View Post
    What are "tracers" and where do you see them?

The 1.5V you see on the board is most likely the Intel spec for the standard (maximum) memory voltage. You can and people do use more than 1.5V.

My Samsung memory is rated at 1.35V, but it can be used up to 1.5V (I've done it), and probably beyond. Not sure about your Crucial memory, but unless there are warnings about using more than 1.35V, 1.5V should be fine.

Whether or not both of your models of Crucial memory can be used together I don't know. Given the different memory chips on each model, they may not. The only way to know is to try.

According to Intel, when different capacity DIMMs are used in one or each channel, then the total memory in each channel will not be used in dual channel mode. In your case with both models used, 12GB total per channel, only 8GB per channel will function in dual channel mode.
    'Tracers' I don't know what is. it' says on the crucial site for the ram.
    16GB kit (8GBx2) DDR3 PC3-12800 Unbuffered NON-ECC 1.35V 1024Meg x 64 | Crucial USA
    8GB Kit (4GBx2) DDR3 PC3-12800 Unbuffered NON-ECC 1.5V 512Meg x 64 | Crucial USA

One says tracers are 'true' while the other says tracers are 'false' - no idea what it is.

- thanks for clearing up - i'm assuming when you say that 1.5v is 'maximum' you don't believe there would be a problem trying a 1.35v - (as I won't be trying to make it go to 1.5v - (don't know how) :)

Are there major drawbacks in not running in dual channel mode? (assuming if it works) - So much drawbacks that it would be unadvised to put in combine the ram? Perhaps just using the 16gb instead of getting 24gb?

Thread Information