Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: ASRock Z87 Extreme4 Intel Z87 starting issues

Default ASRock Z87 Extreme4 Intel Z87 starting issues

Hello everyone,

i have an issue with my PC (guessing its the mobo).

I moved my PC to another location. Therefore I had to unplugg the power cable. I also turned off the power switch of the PSU.
    After plugging in the power cable and turning on the power switch of the PSU again the PC does not start.
    I have to wait for several minutes until the system is powered up and starts to boot.

I alrdy exchanged the power supply but unfortunately the problem happens like written above...
    Then I did a CMOS reset which resulted in a proper booting progress with no issues at all.

Off course I did not make serious changes in the BIOS before resetting it. Thus changes in the BIOS should not be responsible for this booting problem.
    In addition im sure everything is connected correctly. Nothing is overclocked so everything is running on defaults.
    I have the latest BIOS version installed (2.70).

System:
    i5 4760K
    ASRock Z87 Extreme4
    GTX 760 2GB
    Corsair 2x4GB 1600
    600W Sharkoon WPM Series
    Win 7 64Bit

I hope anybody has an idea or a solution for that. I'm helpless.

Kind regards,
    djynn

parsec is offline Senior Member

Default Re: ASRock Z87 Extreme4 Intel Z87 starting issues

I'm not sure I understand, you said after you cleared the BIOS/CMOS, the system started fine, is that correct?

I'm not sure if you are still having the problem starting your PC after the CMOS clear. Is it still not starting after a shutdown?

When you had the problem, if you turned the PSU on, it would then take several minutes before you can start the PC with the PC's power button?

It sounds like something happened when you moved the PC. Are you using a HDD as the OS drive? What kind of CPU cooler do you have?

Something might have moved when you moved the PC, which could be the CPU cooler or any of the cables in the PC. But you say all the cables are fine, and the CMOS clear seemed to fix the PC.

Are you worried if you move the PC again it will do the same thing?

Have you checked the system temperatures after moving the PC?

Check that the screws holding the mother board to the case are not loose. Check any parts that could move and make sure they are secure.

Hello,

yeah, the problem is gone after resetting CMOS.

Yes, that is correct. While having the problem it took several minutes after pressing the power button.

I'm using a 1000GB Seagate Desktop HDD running my OS (Win 7 64Bit) on it.
    The CPU cooler is the boxed one.

Is it really possible that the problem is caused by a loose cpu cooler? In fact it isnt loose.
    I have not attached the mobo on every single point to the case. Do I have to do? One screw isnt actually.

Im pretty sure though that every cable is connected properly.
    System temperatures are on normal even on load (CPU: 50-65C, GPU: 60-65C).

At this time the PSU is connected permanently. The PC starts well.
    The problem might happen again when unplugging the power cable and turning off the power switch.
    I will check that out by leaving the pc currentless overnight. We'll see if it starts.

Any other suggestions?!

Kind regards

Do you apply a plugbar? Try to connect it directly to the wall. If it starts normally then, get a better plugbar.

Hello,

I did not use any multiple sockets. My PC was connected directly to the jack all the time.

On the one hand I tested it again bei leaving the PC currentless overnight. I plugged in the power cable this morning, turned on the power switch of the PSU and it started immediately.
    But on the other hand I tested it during daytime, too. Unplugged power cable -> turned off the switch -> waited for 1 minute -> plugged in and turned on again -> the PC started with a little delay (3-4 sec) which I found out is quiete normal.

It is weird.
    However the CMOS reset seems to fix the problem. At least partially...

I will keep on observing this.

Perhaps it is the CMOS battery?!

Kind regards

parsec is offline Senior Member

Don't worry about the CPU cooler, that was just an example of something that could be disturbed if a PC was dropped.

Besides the PSU itself not turning on immediately with its power switch, the power button on the PC might have a poor connection that is at the borderline of working or not working, so it randomly works or doesn't.

When a PSU is switched on, it does take a few seconds for the PSU and the board to wake up, that is normal. Mother boards normally have a power LED on them that indicates when the board is receiving power. The problem with them, as I have seen on several boards, is the board's LED may not light up when the PSU is turned on for the first time, after the PSU was turned off, or unplugged from the AC outlet, or both. That is, when a mother board has not had power applied to it for even a short time, the LED may not light up when power is applied to the board again. This does not apply to a PC that has been shutdown in Windows, where the PSU switch is in the on position. A board still receives some power from the PSU in that situation, only when the PSU switch is in the off position or unplugged from the AC outlet, is power removed from the board.

My point is you should be able to tell if the board is receiving power by the board's power LED, except in the situation described above.

Another way to tell if a board is receiving power is to look at the network cable input jack on the board's IO panel. There are two LEDs on the network jack, one indicating a connection to the network, the other the network speed.

With a network cable connected to the network jack, if you switch the PSU's power switch to on, the network connection LED should light up after a few seconds. That means the board is receiving power, since the network chip is active and working. That test normally works for me while the board's LED may not.

Give that test a try, set the PSU's switch to off, wait 10 seconds and set it to on again. Watch for the LEDs by the network input jack. If it lights up, or flashes on and off, then the board is receiving power. If you then press the power button for the PC and it does not start, the problem is probably with the switch, the wiring, or the connection to the board.

Thread Information