Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ASRock Z68 PRO3-M "bootmgr is missing" Errors

Default ASRock Z68 PRO3-M "bootmgr is missing" Errors

Hello,
    I've had this rig running as my HTPC since 10/2011 with zero issues. All of a sudden, I'm getting random reboots and when it posts I get the bootmgr is missing error. If I go into the bios the boot order is wrong, and my SSD is not even an option. I have to go to "Something/BBS" and select the SSD in there and then I can place it in my boot order. Save & exit, and Windows gives the "Windows didn't stop normally, select Safe Mode/Normal/etc". I select Normal and she starts up as usual and everything is fine. I come back X amount of time later and I'm seeing the bootmgr is missing again. Rinse and repeat.

So, I haven't changed anything and it's been running fine for 2.5 years. Anyone ever heard of this before? Stock bios -- I've never had a reason to change it.

Rig
    Z68 Pro3-M
    I3-2100
    Win 7

Thanks in advance for any help,
    Trig

boondocks is offline Senior Member

Default Re: ASRock Z68 PRO3-M "bootmgr is missing" Errors

Here's some tips that might help:
    How To Fix the BOOTMGR is Missing Error in Windows 7, 8, & Vista

For myself, I've seen that with loose / crappy cables.

BTW I'm running same board in my HTPC for several years now.
    Maximus 8 Hero/6700K @ 4.8/4x4GB LPX @ 3200 15-17-17-36 CR1
    Case Labs SM8 w/dual pedestals / Custom water w/ acrylic pipe / Light box
    PowerColor 390Xw/EK block / Samsung 840 Pro 256GBx2 RAID 0 / 128GBx1 SSD's | 3 HDD's / DVD burner
    Dual Aquaero 5 Pro controllers for pumps & fans / FC9 for led's only 2xD5 pwm w/Bitspower tops - MCP35x2 - 3x480 rads/1x240 rad/AP15 fans / EK supremcy
    Seasonic Platinum 1000w custom fabbed/sleeved psu wiring by me

Wifes: Z77X-UD5H / 3770K w/c with Raystorm copper block & 2 Rads/ Kingston HyperX RAM / Switch 810 case/ PowerColor AX7950 w/EK block
    HTPC: Z68 Pro3 M / 2105

SOLD:Z97X-UD5H /4790K/F11b mod BIOS/4.8@1.38 4x4GB Kingston Genesis KHX24C11X3K4 2400 RAM 11-13-13-30
    SOLD:Z87X-UD5H /4770K

Thanks for the reply Boon.

I had it up and running last night playing Pandora, and about two hours in everything hard locked and the music went into a loop. Soft reset and I get the error message, and SSD is no longer in the boot order as before. Can't help but think it's a hardware issue, and unfortunately it could be anything. Will probably start with a new mobo since the boot order keeps jacking up.

Thanks again,
    Trig

Yes, hard to tell sometimes.
    Recently I ditched all of my Akasa Slim SATA data cables because of loosing contact here and there, causing for example the boot disk to disappear from the BIOS.
    Hope you get it worked out.

boon
    PowerColor 390Xw/EK block / Samsung 840 Pro 256GBx2 RAID 0 / 128GBx1 SSD's | 3 HDD's / DVD burner
    Dual Aquaero 5 Pro controllers for pumps & fans / FC9 for led's only 2xD5 pwm w/Bitspower tops - MCP35x2 - 3x480 rads/1x240 rad/AP15 fans / EK supremcy

Wifes: Z77X-UD5H / 3770K w/c with Raystorm copper block & 2 Rads/ Kingston HyperX RAM / Switch 810 case/ PowerColor AX7950 w/EK block

SOLD:Z97X-UD5H /4790K/F11b mod BIOS/4.8@1.38 4x4GB Kingston Genesis KHX24C11X3K4 2400 RAM 11-13-13-30

CMOS battery maybe? Now outdated and troublesome driver(s)?

Anything showing up in Event Manager that may lead you places?

OC'd? Yea yea, I read it's an HTPC, but ............ Monitor the temps and voltages with your fav monitoring program. Memory needing a little +v bump now?
    #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
    ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - G.Skill RAM Configurator for your boardSamsung Memory for your boardLatest AMD Chipset Drivers/WindowsLatest AMD Graphics Drivers/WindowsLatest Intel Drivers

#3 - Please use the eXtreme Outer Vision Power Supply Calculator found HERE to determine if it might be your PSU at issue.
    ____Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

parsec is offline Senior Member

I'm curious about what SSD you are using.

If/when you can boot from the SSD, try running this command from a Windows cmd prompt window: sfc scannow

More info about it here: Use the System File Checker tool to repair missing or corrupted system files

I'm not getting a BSOD, it just locks up in a sound loop and the screen goes black. Event viewer doesn't even show anything happened, which might point to the SSD since there's no dump file?

I'm using a Crucial M4 with the factory firmware. A quick google search showed similar issues for others using this SSD -- I'm going to update the firmware and go from there. I'll also run the file checker to see if it finds anything.

Thanks again -- I'll report back with results.

Trig

When I first got this board, I had major problems trying to get an F60 SSD to work, had a major long thread on here. Asrock support called me but we could not figure out why the original SSD would not work either.
    Finally I bought a Crucial SSD and installed Windows and never another problem.
    So anyway I hope you get it going.

Alright, looks like the SSD firmware update fixed it. The M4's were know to have a "5200 hour bug" where once they hit that point they would fail a SMART check once an hour. My drive is in that vicinity, and was on the OG 0001 firmware which was susceptible. Updated to latest and it's been rocking for 8 hours with with no issues.

Appreciate everyone's input/help!

Trig

parsec is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Triglet View Post
    Alright, looks like the SSD firmware update fixed it. The M4's were know to have a "5200 hour bug" where once they hit that point they would fail a SMART check once an hour. My drive is in that vicinity, and was on the OG 0001 firmware which was susceptible. Updated to latest and it's been rocking for 8 hours with with no issues.

Appreciate everyone's input/help!

Trig
    Wow, that was the very first firmware version for M4s, the oldest I ever saw was 0002!

FW version 0009 was the magic update that increased the speed of the M4 substantially, one of the very few FW updates for any SSD that really made a difference.

FW 0309 fixed the 5200 hour bug. After that there were several oddball compatibility fixes, and each update made the write access time worse. FW 040H was a lousy one, it made things worse for some users. I still use 0309 on my M4s, and personally would not use anything else.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information