Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ultra dma mode

Joe-912 is offline Member

Default Re: ultra dma mode

I tried switching WD500 to Sata 2 port, but still same results, seems to be pointing to ssd, I have my first ssd Image made by Acronis in Jan I could quick format the ssd and write this image back to ssd and see if all goes back to normal as this Image was the first which was created fast.
    I might give it a try, unless you can think of anything before I do?
    Thasnks
    Joe-912
    Asus Maximus 7 Hero > Corsair Obsidian 750d Airflow > Intel 4790K > Noctua NH-D15 > 16GB G-skill Sniper 2133 > Samsung SM951 256GB > Sandisk X400 512GB > Western digital black Sata 6 500GB > Western digital black 640GB > Windows 10 Pro 64 > Asus 27" MX279H Monitor > Gibabyte GTX 980Ti extreme

SOLVED!
    I had 64GB of steam games still on C: ssd, I moved all these to another drive to slim down the OS, tried backing up with Acronis but still the speed would not go over 35MB/s, so in the end I did a secure errase and restored the new Image to ssd and everything is flying again, it took just 2min 32secs to Image 31.58GB or 20.74GB after compression, I've only had the ssd 6 months and read performance had fell so much!
    Thanks for all the advice
    joe-912
    Asus Maximus 7 Hero > Corsair Obsidian 750d Airflow > Intel 4790K > Noctua NH-D15 > 16GB G-skill Sniper 2133 > Samsung SM951 256GB > Sandisk X400 512GB > Western digital black Sata 6 500GB > Western digital black 640GB > Windows 10 Pro 64 > Asus 27" MX279H Monitor > Gibabyte GTX 980Ti extreme

parsec is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Joe-912 View Post
    SOLVED!
    I had 64GB of steam games still on C: ssd, I moved all these to another drive to slim down the OS, tried backing up with Acronis but still the speed would not go over 35MB/s, so in the end I did a secure errase and restored the new Image to ssd and everything is flying again, it took just 2min 32secs to Image 31.58GB or 20.74GB after compression, I've only had the ssd 6 months and read performance had fell so much!
    Thanks for all the advice
    joe-912
    Very interesting, I read a post in another forum where a guy with a Samsung SSD posted about his SSD losing performance. He also had a lot of Steam games on his SSD, and after moving them off of it, like you did, his performance also was restored. In his case I don't think he did a secure erase on the SSD.

I don't use Steam at all, but the question becomes given these two incidents, what is it that Steam seems to be doing that causes the drop in the performance of the drive/SSD where the games are stored? Is there a background Steam process that somehow is the culprit? Do the Steam games somehow interfere with the SSD's operation, or cause TRIM to not work correctly? Those are just ideas I have, they are NOT facts!!

Yes I am new to the ssd scene so your guess is as good as mine, I was blaming Acronis at first but after wrighting an image to a western digital HDD and trying the backup I found zero problems it was very fast, so weather the ssd had some bad blocks I don't know
    All I read about the samsumg evos before I brought one was very good, I was a bit worried about doing a secure errase but knew it would return the ssd to factory shape, and it did.
    I will have to just keep an eye on things for the coming months, One thing I like about ssd is the fact formatting and restoring Images is very quick, one thing that caught me out when trying to run the secure errase was an error saying the ssd was in locked state, had to remove power from the drive leaving the computer running and reconnecting after a few secs, these instructing came from the secure errase program...
    Any way all good now!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information