Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: OUT OF MEMORY, K7S8XE+ Motherboard.

Norm. is offline Junior Member

Default OUT OF MEMORY, K7S8XE+ Motherboard.

Hi guys,

My m/b has a ram of 512 MB, and i keep getting "out of memory".

The program i am using is a very old version of DesignCad, in fact it is version 4.

It is a CAD program with not very extensive memory demands and i have had no probs with other computers.

I really dont think it is RAM related, but of course im open to ideas.

Thank you,

Norm.

Default Re: OUT OF MEMORY, K7S8XE+ Motherboard.

Quote Originally Posted by Norm. View Post
    Hi guys,

My m/b has a ram of 512 MB, and i keep getting "out of memory".

The program i am using is a very old version of DesignCad, in fact it is version 4.

It is a CAD program with not very extensive memory demands and i have had no probs with other computers.

I really dont think it is RAM related, but of course im open to ideas.

Thank you,

Norm.
    Sorry guys that should have read, "Out Of Memory" error messages..!

parsec is offline Senior Member

So you've used that DesignCad program on other PCs (such as?) that also have only 512MB of memory, with the same OS, same configuration, etc, and they never ran out of memory?

Plus the project you are working on currently is the same thing you've worked on in the past on the other PCs, and has not grown in size or complexity?

If your current work in DesignCad is different than in the past, how can you compare that as identical?

Total memory of 512MB is very small, you must be using the paging file but that apparently is not enough.

Have you opened (if you can) Windows Resource Monitor and check your memory usage while using DesignCad? Even if a small amount of memory remains, Windows will complain about that as it tried to not fail due to such a basic resource running out.

You're unable to add any memory to this PC?

Quote Originally Posted by parsec View Post
    So you've used that DesignCad program on other PCs (such as?) that also have only 512MB of memory, with the same OS, same configuration, etc, and they never ran out of memory?

Plus the project you are working on currently is the same thing you've worked on in the past on the other PCs, and has not grown in size or complexity?

If your current work in DesignCad is different than in the past, how can you compare that as identical?

Total memory of 512MB is very small, you must be using the paging file but that apparently is not enough.

Have you opened (if you can) Windows Resource Monitor and check your memory usage while using DesignCad? Even if a small amount of memory remains, Windows will complain about that as it tried to not fail due to such a basic resource running out.

You're unable to add any memory to this PC?
    Thank you for your response, although I didnít appreciate your talk down tone, admittedly I was a bit vague in my RFI, but it is to be remembered that we are not all graduates in computer science. Surely it is the object of a forum such as this, to advise and help people who, whilst having an interest in computers are limited in their knowledge of the workings of same.

Anyway to recap. Design Cad is a program which has been around for many years, and as a director in an electrical firm, I was required to carry out extensive design work in the form of electrical schematics and wiring diagrams.

I established my firm in 1975 and for those first tentative years, I persevered accomplishing any required documentation manually.

Towards the late 80ís, I became aware of the advantages to be had by using a computer, not only in the CAD area, but in the preparation of quotations etc.

My first computer was an, 80286 which whilst painfully slow, was like a breath of fresh air, compared to the manual approach.

The CAD program I used was a DOS based program, DesignCad ver.4 I never had any problems with memory despite some of the material being fairly complex and the limited ability of the 80286 processor.

Over the years I migrated through the 80386, 80486, to the present day, high speed, high capacity computers.

DesignCad went through various revisions, the latest revision I have is vers.18, however I still use version 4, due to the later versions having been revised, with the emphasis on the ability to interpret other CAD formats, such as dxf. and dwg. Etc.

The later versions do not have the dexterity of version 4, so I do my work in v4 and process it in v18.

Although I am now retired, I get requests from former clients to upgrade and re-issue their drawings.

Recently, I have been using a computer with 512Mb of ram, and the XP Pro operating system with no probs until the CPU went, due to a faulty cooling fan.

I have now acquired another machine, again with 512Mb ram, XP Pro operating system, and massive amount of hard disk space, and that is where Iím at now.

Although I have ordered 2, 1Gigabyte sticks, which should arrive early next week,
    the ďOut Of MemoryĒ message Iím getting is not due to any physical memory problems.

I believe this message is fairly common but because the machine in question is not connected to the internet I am having difficulty in rectifying the problem. Hence my query.

Best Regards,

Norm.

Hi guys,

I didn't think that my problem was due to physical memory , but to take it out of the equation, I've increased RAM from 512 mb to 2 gigabyte, which hasn't cured my problem

As a matter of interest, when my old computer failed, I simply transferred the hard disk into my new one,
    i don't know if this has a bearing on my problem...?
    Any ideas guys..?

Thanks,

Norm.

Hi Fellahs,

My problem doesn't seem to have generated much interest, anyway I report as follows:-

I have cured my problem , in that designcad V.4 is of course a Dos program. The answer was to load a Dos emulater, namely, "DOSBOX" then simply run DesignCad V.4 within the environment of Dosbox.

Sucess...! What a relief.!

norm.

Thread Information