Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Asrock z97 pro4, What CPU?

Default Asrock z97 pro4, What CPU?

I have an Asrock Z97 Pro4 board I am reviewing and need a bit of advice whether to get a 4670K or 4690K. The main thing I am worried about is that since it is my 1st time delving into an Intel system I am unsure if the board will boot with the bios on the chip or will it need to be flashed to get it to boot. I know that the 4670K will from reading the CPU compatibility chart but the new 4690K requires a specific bios. I don't have another chip to boot and flash. Would it be best to just get the 4670K?

parsec is offline Senior Member

Default Re: Asrock z97 pro4, What CPU?

The i5-4690K does not require a specific BIOS version. I know it has that listed in the CPU support list, but note what the description for that BIOS version states:

Add i7-4790K, i5-4690K, Pentium Anniversary G3258 EZ-OC table.

The only thing for the i5-4690K that was added is the EZ-OC table, which are just the automatic OC settings. A few users would complain if they used the older BIOS versions and did not have the EZ OC options available, so ASRock had to put that in the CPU support list.

You aren't the first one to ask about this, and won't be the last. No one has reported CPU compatibility problems yet, and they won't since all Z97 boards must be compatible with DC processors from the start.

Thanks, I ended up going with the G3258 just to have some fun with the overclocking on that chip for $75. and complete my review. I will upgrade the chip later on. From what I here the g3258 can a get crazy 4.7 Ghz overclock. I will have some fun finding out.

parsec is offline Senior Member

Have you tried the G3258 in that board yet?

No it just released so it won't be here until later this week.

Thread Information