Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: AsRock Extreme 4 990FX bios glitch

Default Re: AsRock Extreme 4 990FX bios glitch

Did I make more sense there than the ASRock Techs you spoke with? I hope so.
    #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
    ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - G.Skill RAM Configurator for your boardSamsung Memory for your boardLatest AMD Chipset Drivers/WindowsLatest AMD Graphics Drivers/WindowsLatest Intel Drivers

#3 - Please use the eXtreme Outer Vision Power Supply Calculator found HERE to determine if it might be your PSU at issue.
    ____Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Quote Originally Posted by - wardog - View Post
    Exactly. Mhz being higher than 1333 and altering the timings resulting in a no boot/BFG situation is usually due to the memory controller needing more voltage to compensate.

The other side of that coin, but no less important, is the memory itself may need it's voltage bumped.

Count me lucky(?) but on the boxes I've used this Sammy mem in at default timings, with a 1600 native mem controller/proc, all I've need to do to go from 1600(again, native) to 1866 is set the BIOSes to 1866. Never needing anything more. But you on the other hand are shooting for beyond that there that I just described so you'll need some experimentation for higher Mhz and lower timings.

Let's talk timings and Mhz. What are your settings your trying that are triggering BFG? Mhz/timings/voltages.

Oh, on that 1100T of your's and these/this "issue' , have you tried setting the mem at 2T and retry? 2T isn't as bad as it appears and does reduce the stress on the mem controller.

far beyond that? i am not shooting for 2ghz or any thing over 16mhz, i just wish to tighten up the timings at 1600mhz

SAMSUNG 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model MV-3V4G3D/US - Newegg.com
    SAMSUNG 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model MV-3V2G3D/US - Newegg.com

^^^ Product pages of my kits.

i refreshed my memmory here: Weird AsRock Extreme 4 990FX Bios RAM Settings issue.

okay, so the KEY to this is that prior to my bios upgrade JUST manually setting the ram to 1600 the RAM'S NATIVE speed it would under clock, THEN i updated the bios and it under clock when i changed both settings.

SSSSOOOOOOOOOOO, it was either fixed bios bug and now BFG is kicking because i'm asking to much or the bug still remains and wasn't properly fixed but, this is i'm screwed because the system is in pieces. Especially since i don't what it's doing when i set it 1600 mhz, is it running the correct default timings? what are my current settings?

Because it had similar issue with the first bios, i honestly though it was bug they failed to fix and though if i could get to look at the bios that they would have been able to give it comb over for said glitch since my theory was that the newer bios having the same/similar bug, was possible over writing part of the RAM speed setting with the SPD settings when the bios settings were saved...corrupting the ram speed setting causing it read an incorrect setting and inherently run at lower speed since part of the speed setting was over writting with incorrect values. All based on the fact that prior bios was not correctly saving plain old ram speed settings.

jumping back to my settings, as you can see it can run at 7s @ 1333, 1600mhz being only 300mhz more and based on other reports, we can speculate that 9 might not be too muhc to ask but, again it's just speculation.

Weird AsRock Extreme 4 990FX Bios RAM Settings issue. <<< helpful info on the original issue and the issue after bios update, with pics.

I'll probably need to come back to this thread when i get the machine back together.

Oh one last thing, the one thing i had issue with when hen talking to AsRock was language barrier, i bet if they just read what i said they maybe had no idea what i was talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by - wardog - View Post
    To those that happen upon that quoted above at a later date, the 1333 I refer is the OPs 1100T's native memory controller.
    I get what you mean, you mean the IMC in the CPU was designed for 1333mhz. I only say that be clear that i understand. Also in my eyes that doesn't make much since and is sad business on AMD's part. (Why U no 1600mhz AMD)

Whoa .....

You're running 2x4GB and 2x2GB sticks, 12GB total, at the same time and having this problem? Not recommended .......

If so, yea. You'll most likely have problems using 4 sticks with tight timings, never mind the disparate 2GB and 4GB sticks in tandem. AMD's have never much liked 4 sticks with tight timings. It can be done but we're talking some serious voltages applied to the CPU/NB(mem controller voltage). AMD does have a weak point and unfortunately it's their memory controller(s).

PM me when you get it back together.

Clear the BIOS, and using the two 4GB sticks only, in slots DDR3_A2 and DDR3_B2. Let me know what these two sticks boot up at in default.
    #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
    ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - G.Skill RAM Configurator for your boardSamsung Memory for your boardLatest AMD Chipset Drivers/WindowsLatest AMD Graphics Drivers/WindowsLatest Intel Drivers

#3 - Please use the eXtreme Outer Vision Power Supply Calculator found HERE to determine if it might be your PSU at issue.
    ____Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Keep mind this stick are INCIDENTAL except that one set has fewer dram chips on board, they are the same timings and every thing so it's not like mixing ram sets. Yeah i bought the 12gb back when it was cheap and they never made 16gb versions so i'm stuck with only 12gb.

Also will do.

Quote Originally Posted by parsec View Post
    Boot Failure Guard (BFG) is a common feature on most ASRock boards, including Intel based boards. It is meant to catch a failure of CPU or memory OC settings that are beyond what the CPU or memory can handle, which it does. If the OC setting(s) fail, you will get a screen that tells you in general that the setting(s) failed, and you can go into the BIOS to change them, or just boot into the OS, since this feature will reset the offending setting(s) to a value that will allow the PC to boot.

Regarding "masking the problem", I don't understand that. The user should know what they just changed in the BIOS, and should also know that any OC settings might fail to boot. I've used OC settings that did not fail during POST, but would BSOD in Windows. I don't see BFG as artificially limiting any OC, if a start up failure occurs, it can catch it and rather than the PC going into a boot loop, it stops that and lets you fix things without doing a BIOS/CMOS reset so you can get into the BIOS.

I never got ANY message, my ram would just run at the wrong speed.

@ parsec - You still have that link to the dude in that other forum who was/is(?) selling those new Sammy 4GBx2 kits?

parsec is offline Senior Member

wardog, sorry no I don't. That was quite a while ago, wasn't it? As in months, probably long gone by now.

Quote Originally Posted by cdoublejj View Post
    I never got ANY message, my ram would just run at the wrong speed.
    That's not how BFG works on the ASR boards I use.

IF BFG is changing the speed of your RAM, then it does that because either the memory speed OR the timing settings will not work with memory controller. Plus that Samsung memory may not work as well with your CPU's memory controller.

When trying a different, higher memory speed, I always set the main (and all) timings to Auto. If the PC boots and is stable, then I go into the BIOS, check the four/five main timings, and set them a notch down from the Auto values, which my BIOS shows, does yours? I use this Samsung memory in three different PCs/boards, the usual Auto timings at 1600 are 11 11 11 28, at least on my Intel systems. Anything at or below 9 9 9 24 won't work for me at 1866 or above. So IMO 7's are a dream, 9's are the lowest at 1600 or above.

The "miracle" about this Samsung memory is it will work in almost any CPU/board, can by OC'd above 1600 easily (with realistic timings), and does this with unmatched DIMMs, and is cheap. It does not have XMP profiles. It cannot be OC'd endlessly, and older CPU/memory controllers can't run it as fast as newer ones can. On my PCs, with different CPUs, the max speeds I get range from 1866 to 2133.

I like it because I can run it at 1.35V at the speeds I mentioned, but never tighter than 9 9 9 24, and normally must use 11 11 11 28.

I'm only trying to get 9s @ 1600mhz.

parsec is offline Senior Member

The specs are 11 11 11 28 at 1600, any lower latencies at that speed is great but not guaranteed.

2133MHz is "only" 133MHz above 2000MHz, yet I can't run this memory in my Ivy Bridge system above 2000. It happens, it's a wall that cannot be broken.

You've never mentioned memory voltages, or tweaking the IMC voltages as wardog mentioned, it can work.

In the DRAM configuration BIOS screen, do you have a MRC Fast Boot setting? If so, disabling that allows memory "training" during POST, which might help.

Did I notice that we are discussing a system that is not even working at the moment?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information