Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Intel Devil's Canyon and Pentium Anniversary Support on ASRock Mother Boards

parsec is offline Senior Member

Default Intel Devil's Canyon and Pentium Anniversary Support on ASRock Mother Boards

Owners of mother boards with Intel Z87 and Z97 chipsets, and other Intel 8 and 9 series chipset boards, have been wondering about which ones will support the new Intel Devil's Canyon i7-4790K, i5-4690K, and the Pentium Anniversary unlocked G3258 processors. Initially, Intel was not very clear about this, and even changed the information they did have available at one time.

Intel has three lists of compatible mother boards for each of these processors, which includes ASRock boards. You can find them here:

i7-4790K: Compatible Motherboards

i5-4690K: Compatible Motherboards

Pentium G3258: Compatible Motherboards

The main question we still have, is if the Devil's Canyon processors will work on Z87 mother boards. I could swear at one time the compatibility lists Intel posted for the Devil's Canyon processors included most if not all Z87 mother boards. At the time of this post, no Z87 boards are listed as compatible with the Devil's Canyon processors. Only the G3258 CPU can be used on Z87 boards.

Of course, the official Intel compatibility lists may not tell us the whole story. It's not difficult to try a Devil's Canyon processor in a Z87 board, so time will tell.

I just put a G3258 CPU in my ASRock Z87 EX 6 board, and it works fine. Feel free to post your experiences with Devil's Canyon processors in this thread, or more information about this evolving story.

Default Re: Intel Devil's Canyon and Pentium Anniversary Support on ASRock Mother Boards

In most case`s its just some microcode who needs to be added to the bios when new cpus appear/launch.
    I know many Asrock MB have been compitable for months already for the new Devils Canyon cpus
    Good find Parsec

parsec is offline Senior Member

Default Re: Intel Devil's Canyon and Pentium Anniversary Support on ASRock Mother Boards

Thanks, but I have an update about my experience with the G3258 CPU in my ASRock Z87 EX 6 board.

Sure it booted and ran fine, fresh OS installation, but I soon found that any OC that I tried did not work. Raising the core multipliers in the BIOS did nothing, they were ignored. Any hardware monitoring tools I tried showed only the stock speed, 3.2GHz, which I later verified that was correct, despite different multiplier values clearly displayed in the BIOS.

Then I found a beta BIOS for this board, version 2.34, with this description: Update C0 microcode to support Pentium Anniversary.

After updating to this version, my OC via multipliers worked fine, I can easily run a G3258 at 4.0GHz with a max core voltage (really VID) of 1.120V, and CPU Input voltage of ~1.66V. I also found it is a typical Haswell processor, in that OCs at 4.3GHz and above require much more voltage than any OC up to ~4.2GHz.

So you are correct Norz, the microcode update is necessary at least for non-9 series chipset boards. But there seems to be a little more to that BIOS update than just the microcode. The 2.30 BIOS would not display the Turbo option with the G3258, which makes sense since this CPU does not have Turbo boost. But after applying 2.34, the Turbo option appeared in the BIOS UI. It must be enabled for any OC to work, which is related to increasing the multiplier even if Turbo boost is not supported by the processor.

You can find both beta BIOS and standard BIOS updates for many ASRock 8 series chipset boards that add support for the G3258. Those updates will apparently be required for any OC to work, given the board is able to OC unlocked processors.

Im not surpriced,bare in mind this little unlocked pentium is not like the rest of the unlocked Haswell cpus (like you said,no turbo). So for it to work (overclocking) there have to be some moore programing involved for the MB bios.
    Asus and a few others had them working (overclocking) on a "H" chipset also a few months ago,i dunno if thats still the case,or if Intel have stopped that with the newer bios rev.

Thread Information