Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Z97 Extreme6 Mouse/Keyboard Turning On Computer

Default Re: Z97 Extreme6 Mouse/Keyboard Turning On Computer

Quote Originally Posted by - wardog - View Post
    Then I'd be looking at the PSU next.
    Is this a new build, or did it just begin behaving this way?
    #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
    ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - G.Skill RAM Configurator for your boardSamsung Memory for your boardLatest AMD Chipset Drivers/WindowsLatest AMD Graphics Drivers/WindowsLatest Intel Drivers

#3 - Please use the eXtreme Outer Vision Power Supply Calculator found HERE to determine if it might be your PSU at issue.
    ____Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

newtekie1 is offline Junior Member

Thought about that. The HX850 is brand new, so I popped in the CX750 that I keep around as a spare and had the same problem. I even tried a 400w FSP server power supply I had laying around with the GTX670s removed...same problem.

I've swapped out the CPU, RAM, PSU, and disconnected all the HDDs/SSDs...nothing fixes the problem. I'm pretty confident the problem is the motherboard, and I'm hoping it is a BIOS bug.
    Last edited by newtekie1; 07-16-2014 at 11:07 AM. Reason: Added more info.

parsec is offline Senior Member

The powercfg check was a long shot, as CaneMan said. Particularly if this happens without an OS installed or OS drive connected to the PC, as you said. Otherwise great info for debugging premature wake from Sleep issues.

While I agree that this is potentially a BIOS bug, I've always had strange results with Logitech mice and keyboards until their dang drivers are installed. Their support forum is filled with issues, like needing a "USB 3.0 compatible" wireless mouse dongle?

Personally, I've never had your issue with my identical board, but I use BIOS 1.20. I had mouse and keyboard recognition issues with this board and the 1.00 and 1.20 BIOS versions, that is before an OS is installed, even with Microsoft mice and keyboards. The wireless connections did not like the "Ready to use" USB 3.0 ports, which you must use due to the lack of any USB 2.0 ports on the IO panel (as you know.) Even a basic wired mouse I used had to be plugged in again after a restart before i, which would then wake up the wireless mouse connection. I bought a PCI slot USB 2.0 four port adapter that connects to the board's USB 2.0 headers, works perfectly since then.

I suggest trying different USB BIOS settings, like the USB Compatibility patch option. Not an elegant solution, did you happen to try that one?

I see that after a review of this board at Anandtech, BIOS 1.33 was added to most likely address the review's comments about the board's power usage being higher than other Z97 boards under load. Or added before the review was published due to feedback from the reviewer. So possibly a rush job that broke things elsewhere?

OTOH, I'm not aware of another post in this forum about your issue, so who knows?

I think I tried the USB Compatibility option, but I'll make sure.

This is a dual BIOS board, so maybe I'll try switching back to the 1.00 BIOS and see if I still have the problem. I'm guessing you might be right about 1.33 being rushed. So I'm hoping they get another one out that is a more refined.

Hmm, guess which BIOS version has disappeared from our board's download page:

ASRock > Z97 Extreme6

Looks like 1.33 is history...

No offense ASRock, software is more difficult to get right than most people realize.

Interesting!

I hope they put out an update soon.

I'm not too concerned because I trust Asrock. Plus I just upgraded from an eVGA board, so nothing can really be worse than that BIOS wise...

Quote Originally Posted by newtekie1 View Post
    Interesting!

I hope they put out an update soon.

I'm not too concerned because I trust Asrock. Plus I just upgraded from an eVGA board, so nothing can really be worse than that BIOS wise...
    That's what I've heard, although an EVGA X58 board I have worked fine, but I never gave the BIOS much of a workout.

There's another mother board manufacture with a support forum here that seems to have more than their fair share of BIOS issues.

I must say that this is the first time I've ever had any BIOS/UEFI issues with the BIOS' of any of the ASRock boards I use, going back to their Z77 boards.

hi , did you find out what the problem ?
    i build desktop for people, i have use like 10 asrock z97 pro 4 and asrock h97m , all motherboards have the same problem , i check all bios option no help , contact asrock no help , , try to update to least bios , no help also , i end up tell my customers to use Logitech wireless keyboard and mouse , no problem with the wireless keyboard and mouse

The solution I found was to turn off FastBoot in Windows 8.

The solution I found was to turn off FastBoot in Windows 8.
    Really, there certainly have been some odd side affects caused by the Windows 8 fast startup feature, which I assume is the option configured in the "Change what the power buttons do" screen in Windows 8, and not the Fast Boot option available in the BIOS, which are two different things.

The Windows 8 fast start up feature is also known as doing a "hybrid boot or shutdown", which is a modification of the Windows Hibernate feature. With that feature enabled, it is still possible to do a standard full shutdown in Windows 8. Just move the mouse pointer to the lower left corner of the screen (or Windows key + X), right click and hover the pointer over "Shutdown or sign out", and then choose Shutdown.

I don't understand a couple things about this solution, related to what you wrote earlier in this thread:

It doesn't matter if I use my G510 and G700s or a generic USB keyboard and mouse, I've tried both.

Windows version doesn't matter, neither does anything in device manager. The problem happens even with no drives connected to the computer when I haven't even booted into Windows. I can power the computer on, with no drives attached, and it will load into the UEFI BIOS. I can save changes and exit the BIOS, and when the computer begins to POST press the power button to power the computer down. If I move the mouse or press a key on the keyboard the computer will turn on.

In fact, I even cleared the CMOS, completely removed power from the computer. When I plugged the computer back in, I could turn it on with the keyboard and mouse.

This isn't an issue of waking the computer from sleep, this is actually turning the computer on from being completely off.
    That is, "Windows version doesn't matter", and "The problem happens even with no drives connected...".

Only Windows 8 has the fast start up feature, so Windows 7 is not affected by it. Also, no drives connected means no OS influence is possible.

So I don't see how this solution can solve all the scenarios you described.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information