Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Z97 Extreme6 Mouse/Keyboard Turning On Computer

newtekie1 is offline Junior Member

Default Z97 Extreme6 Mouse/Keyboard Turning On Computer

I have the options in the BIOS set to disabled for USB Keyboard and USB Mouse Power On, in fact I have every option on that page disabled. However, when I power down my system, when I move the mouse or press a button on the keyboard, the computer still turns on! This is insanely annoying. Is this a bug with the latest BIOS(1.30) or is there another place in the BIOS to disable this "feature".

Z97 Extreme6
    i7-4790K

Default Re: Z97 Extreme6 Mouse/Keyboard Turning On Computer

Are they plugged into a USB hub first, then into the computer via the USB hub?
    #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
    ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - G.Skill RAM Configurator for your boardSamsung Memory for your boardLatest AMD Chipset Drivers/WindowsLatest AMD Graphics Drivers/WindowsLatest Intel Drivers

#3 - Please use the eXtreme Outer Vision Power Supply Calculator found HERE to determine if it might be your PSU at issue.
    ____Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Quote Originally Posted by - wardog - View Post
    Are they plugged into a USB hub first, then into the computer via the USB hub?
    No, both are directly plugged into the back ports on the motherboard.

parsec is offline Senior Member

Your PC detail are for an EVGA P55 board, so we don't know anything about your hardware besides your Z97 board. What OS are you using?

I predict... a fancy gaming keyboard and mouse, is that correct?

Open Device Manager, and then USB Controllers. Go through the list and double click each entry to get the Properties displayed. Some will have a Power Management tab, check all of those to be sure the "Allow this device to wake the computer" entries are unchecked. They really should be greyed-out if the BIOS option is working correctly.

One possible factor, ALL the USB ports on the IO panel are USB 3.0 ports. The USB settings in the BIOS may affect your devices capability to wake the PC.

It doesn't matter if I use my G510 and G700s or a generic USB keyboard and mouse, I've tried both.

Windows version doesn't matter, neither does anything in device manager. The problem happens even with no drives connected to the computer when I haven't even booted into Windows. I can power the computer on, with no drives attached, and it will load into the UEFI BIOS. I can save changes and exit the BIOS, and when the computer begins to POST press the power button to power the computer down. If I move the mouse or press a key on the keyboard the computer will turn on.

In fact, I even cleared the CMOS, completely removed power from the computer. When I plugged the computer back in, I could turn it on with the keyboard and mouse.

This isn't an issue of waking the computer from sleep, this is actually turning the computer on from being completely off.

Joe-912 is offline Member

Check you got deep sleep disabled in the bios
    Asus Maximus 7 Hero > Corsair Obsidian 750d Airflow > Intel 4790K > Noctua NH-D15 > 16GB G-skill Sniper 2133 > Samsung SM951 256GB > Sandisk X400 512GB > Western digital black Sata 6 500GB > Western digital black 640GB > Windows 10 Pro 64 > Asus 27" MX279H Monitor > Gibabyte GTX 980Ti extreme

Quote Originally Posted by Joe-912 View Post
    Check you got deep sleep disabled in the bios
    Deep sleep and the Night Light option are both disabled.

I've pretty much come to the conclusion that this is a BIOS bug. I'm hoping someone from Asrock sees this. I've contacted them through their tech support service and have started an email conversation with them. I'm hoping they can get in contact with the BIOS team and figure out a solution. However, the person helping me kind of just blew me off. His response was basically take the motherboard back and exchange it and hope the new board doesn't have the issue. Not sure how exactly exchanging the motherboard would fix, what to me is, a pretty obvious BIOS bug.

CaneMan is offline Junior Member

A long shot but to see what is waking the computer up etc. Try this:-

To find out what event/device woke up your Windows from its sleep state, go to command prompt (type cmd on the Start menu Search box and press [Enter]), then type:

powercfg -lastwake

This shows which devices are set to wake up your system:

powercfg -devicequery wake_armed

Unfortunately that didn't give me anything. Basically nothing has work this computer from sleep, ever. I turned off the sleep option the first time I booted it, and it has always been shut down, never used sleep or hibernate.

Then I'd be looking at the PSU next.
    #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
    ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - G.Skill RAM Configurator for your boardSamsung Memory for your boardLatest AMD Chipset Drivers/WindowsLatest AMD Graphics Drivers/WindowsLatest Intel Drivers

#3 - Please use the eXtreme Outer Vision Power Supply Calculator found HERE to determine if it might be your PSU at issue.
    ____Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information