Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: M.2 Ultra/M.2 vs PCIe M.2




  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    12

    Default M.2 Ultra/M.2 vs PCIe M.2

    Which is faster? The Z97 Extreme6 board has both, Ultra and Regular M.2. Was wondering which is faster? The spec on ASRock's Z97 Exteme6 web page shows that m.2 is 32gbs. Is this the Ultra or the PCIe that is 32gbs? I also have 990fx Fatal1ty killer which has a M.2. The PCIe version the board would not read it so I bought the M.2 ssd drive for the M.2 slot and now I wonder if I should have kept the PCIe version anyways.

    I have tried to do a search on his but to no avail, I still can't find this out.

    Thx...Peace!:

  2. #2
    parsec's Avatar
    parsec is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Third stone from the sun
    Posts
    4,824

    Default Re: M.2 Ultra/M.2 vs PCIe M.2

    Quote Originally Posted by BiTs View Post
    Which is faster? The Z97 Extreme6 board has both, Ultra and Regular M.2. Was wondering which is faster? The spec on ASRock's Z97 Exteme6 web page shows that m.2 is 32gbs. Is this the Ultra or the PCIe that is 32gbs? I also have 990fx Fatal1ty killer which has a M.2. The PCIe version the board would not read it so I bought the M.2 ssd drive for the M.2 slot and now I wonder if I should have kept the PCIe version anyways.

    I have tried to do a search on his but to no avail, I still can't find this out.

    Thx...Peace!:
    The Ultra M.2 interface is faster, it uses PCIe 3.0 x4 interface, while the standard M.2 is PCIe 2.0 x2. Currently, there are no M.2 SSDs that can make use of PCIe 3.0 bandwidth, they are all PCIe 2.0 and mainly x2 connections.

    There will be very little if any difference in speed between the same SSD model with an M.2 or PCIe interface.

    You lost me on the, "The PCIe version the board would not read it so I bought the M.2...". Versions of what?

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    12

    Default Re: M.2 Ultra/M.2 vs PCIe M.2

    I bought the Plextor pcie m.2 card,
    Plextor M6e PX-AG256M6e PCI-E 256GB PCI-Express 2.0 x2 Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

    The Fatal1ty 990FX Killer Motherboard would not detect it through the bios even with the most updated bios. Windows 8.1 also didn't see it.

    So I bought

    Crucial M550 CT256M550SSD4 M.2 Type 2280 256GB SATA 6Gb/s MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD).

    This drive was recognized by both bios and Windows. The both saw it.

    This is what I mean by different versions of the M.2 drive. So back to my question. Is one faster than the other? PCIe or M.2 in the M.2 slot.

    Thanks....




  4. #4
    parsec's Avatar
    parsec is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Third stone from the sun
    Posts
    4,824

    Default Re: M.2 Ultra/M.2 vs PCIe M.2

    There is no difference in speed between the PCIe and M.2 interfaces with the same SSDs. Both interfaces are using the same PCIe 2.0 lanes from the board's chipset. Each SSD may have different performance, and there are differences in the way M.2 SSDs interface with that connection.

    BTW, the Plextor SSD you had is really an M.2 SSD on a PCIe adapter card.

    I've used the same Plextor SSD, and my ASRock (Intel) boards recognized it fine using Windows 8.1. Not sure why your board would not see it, might be a BIOS or driver issue. What SATA mode are you using? The Plextor might not be recognized if the PCIe slot you used was set to Gen 3. You also must use at least an x2 slot, an x1 slot will not work.

    M.2 Ultra/M.2 vs PCIe M.2-ssd-m6e-2-2-mbs-5-23-2014-png

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    12

    Default Re: M.2 Ultra/M.2 vs PCIe M.2

    I was using the PCIe 2.0 x16 slot.I did call Plextor and their techs stated that the card was bad because it should have recognized it. The tech did tell me to make sure I have the most updated bios which I already had.
    The Crucial M.2 I bought was recognized automatically. I didn't have to do anything in the bios to detect the M.2. I did however have to disable the combined IDE and Sata Mode to help in performance. This has help.

    Side note: The M.2 drive in the bios shows it as a Ultra. Does this mean it is an Ultra. So in my Z97 Extreme6 board that has an Ultra slot it will be 32GB/s?

    Thanks,

  6. #6
    lotuspro is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    14

    Default Re: M.2 Ultra/M.2 vs PCIe M.2

    I am using the 128Gb version of the Samsung XP941 in an Asrock Z97 Extreme6 and while I have not bench marked my drive, this TweakTown review is revealing:

    Samsung XP941 512GB M.2 PCIe SSD Review

    I believe the drive has worked flawlessly in my Z97 Extreme6. It is my boot drive and is visible in the board's UEFI BIOS.
    I have had BIOS update problems, which may or may not be connected with the drive, but it is currently working fine on version 1.30.
    In real world terms, I cannot say it is noticeably faster than my Samsung 840 Pro which I have also used as a boot drive. But, subjectively it is quick.

  7. #7
    parsec's Avatar
    parsec is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Third stone from the sun
    Posts
    4,824

    Default Re: M.2 Ultra/M.2 vs PCIe M.2

    Quote Originally Posted by BiTs View Post
    I was using the PCIe 2.0 x16 slot.I did call Plextor and their techs stated that the card was bad because it should have recognized it. The tech did tell me to make sure I have the most updated bios which I already had.
    The Crucial M.2 I bought was recognized automatically. I didn't have to do anything in the bios to detect the M.2. I did however have to disable the combined IDE and Sata Mode to help in performance. This has help.

    Side note: The M.2 drive in the bios shows it as a Ultra. Does this mean it is an Ultra. So in my Z97 Extreme6 board that has an Ultra slot it will be 32GB/s?

    Thanks,
    You must mean you are seeing "Ultra DMA", which will be displayed with any SSD. That is completely unrelated to ASRock's use of the term "Ultra" for that M.2 slot in your board. Only ASRock uses that term for the PCIe 3.0 x4 M.2 slot, it is not recognized as an official term for SSDs or PC hardware. Ultra DMA is an old protocol still used in the SATA specification.

    The SSD controller in your Crucial M.2 SSD is not able to use an x4 connection, and also cannot use the full bandwidth of a PCIe 3.0 lane, so the Ultra M.2 slot will not enhance its performance in any way.

    You're also confusing the speed spec of the Ultra M.2 lane, it is 32Gb/s, 32 Gigabits, not bytes. Similar to the SATA III spec, which is 6Gb/s, 6 Gigabits per second.

    There are really two types of M.2 SSDs, one type like your Crucial is identical to a standard SATA III SSD, but it just uses the M.2 connection. The other type contains its own SATA controller and SSD controller, the Plextor is that type of M.2 SSD. The Plextor type is faster than the other M.2 type.

    Actually, the benchmark I posted is of the Plextor in the Ultra M.2 slot. The Plextor's controller can only use two PCIe lanes (x2), and can only operate at PCIe 2.0 speeds.

    I've been waiting for the confusion over the differences in M.2, PCIe, and SATA Express SSDs to begin, and it has.

  8. #8
    parsec's Avatar
    parsec is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Third stone from the sun
    Posts
    4,824

    Default Re: M.2 Ultra/M.2 vs PCIe M.2

    Quote Originally Posted by lotuspro View Post
    I am using the 128Gb version of the Samsung XP941 in an Asrock Z97 Extreme6 and while I have not bench marked my drive, this TweakTown review is revealing:

    Samsung XP941 512GB M.2 PCIe SSD Review

    I believe the drive has worked flawlessly in my Z97 Extreme6. It is my boot drive and is visible in the board's UEFI BIOS.
    I have had BIOS update problems, which may or may not be connected with the drive, but it is currently working fine on version 1.30.
    In real world terms, I cannot say it is noticeably faster than my Samsung 840 Pro which I have also used as a boot drive. But, subjectively it is quick.
    Samsung has kept the XP941 under tight control, selling them only to PC OEMs, where they (Samsung) can be sure that the appropriate UEFI SATA Option ROM will be supplied with those PCs, which must use Windows 8. The XP941 cannot boot an OS without that Option ROM. That is the reason we don't see them sold at retail, they aren't plug and play in most PCs.

    Recently a retailer in Australia has been selling them separately, and you have one! The Asrock Z97 Extreme 6 board has the necessary UEFI SATA Option ROM (part of the BIOS/UEFI file) so the XP941 works with this board fine. I imagine other ASRock Z97 boards also have this Option ROM, and possibly other mother board manufactures. There's s little more to it than this, but enough techno babble for now.

    (Not directed at you lotuspro) Say what you will about ASRock boards, but they have had their UEFI Option ROMs and UEFI booting settings right since their Z77 boards, which is more than can be said about other manufactures.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    12

    Default Re: M.2 Ultra/M.2 vs PCIe M.2

    Thank You for clearing the ultra up for me. Your right the Crucial M.2 won't work in my ultra slot so I had to put it in the other M.2 slot, I guess you could say the regular M.2 slot. The 32gb/s I talked about came off of ASRock's web site.

    This is for lotuspro. Where did you get your 941? Did it come with your computer, because you can't find it anywhere. I did find it at places I never heard of before.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    12

    Default Re: M.2 Ultra/M.2 vs PCIe M.2

    About ASRock's boards, I have 3. This is all I use is ASRock. Just FYI!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •