Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Can't change from IDE to AHCI. :L

Default Can't change from IDE to AHCI. :L

I have an asrock extreme3 x79 with a xeon e5-2650, my operating system is windows 8.1 pro fully updated running on a samsung 840 pro, with a hybrid drive as the backup.

-Notes
    I have tried the changing registry, booting into safe mode way a few times it won't boot at all into windows with my UEFI set to AHCI.
    I have used both the intel and asmedia sata3 ports.
    I have Acronis recovery agent saving to an sshd drive, and can attempt any operating system breaking attempts you can throw at me and recover easy.

Thanks.

PS, if i was to boot an operating system on the SSHD and it worked on AHCI could i then just plug the SSD in?
    PPS, It is reccomended to first install with IDE then switch to AHCI in the asrock manual/all online references.

XXOO
    Windows 8.1 Pro 64bit.
    Xeon E5 - 2650 Gen1. (@ 23x/105bclk)
    Asrock Extreme 3 x79 (2.40)
    Samsung 840 PRO 128gb (Boot) WD 1gb SSHD (Recovery/Junk)
    RipjawZ - 16gb 2133 4x4gb (@1600)
    2 Asus GTX 690 (Quad SLI Latest firmware)
    Thermaltake Toughpower Gold 850w

parsec is offline Senior Member

Default Re: Can't change from IDE to AHCI. :L

Quote Originally Posted by Adeptwa View Post
    I have an asrock extreme3 x79 with a xeon e5-2650, my operating system is windows 8.1 pro fully updated running on a samsung 840 pro, with a hybrid drive as the backup.

-Notes
    I have tried the changing registry, booting into safe mode way a few times it won't boot at all into windows with my UEFI set to AHCI.
    I have used both the intel and asmedia sata3 ports.
    I have Acronis recovery agent saving to an sshd drive, and can attempt any operating system breaking attempts you can throw at me and recover easy.

Thanks.

PS, if i was to boot an operating system on the SSHD and it worked on AHCI could i then just plug the SSD in?
    PPS, It is reccomended to first install with IDE then switch to AHCI in the asrock manual/all online references.

XXOO
    Last things first, I have never seen any manual or guides that suggest installing in IDE mode and then switching to AHCI mode, that makes no sense. AHCI is the default SATA setting on all modern mother boards, and has been for several years. AHCI is the default mode in your board's BIOS for the Intel and ASMedia SATA controllers. I don't see using IDE first and then changing to AHCI said anywhere in your board's manual. If it did, you'd have clear instructions on doing that. Actually with the X79 chipset, exactly the opposite is true.

If you installed an OS on the SSHD in AHCI mode, that would not cure your IDE mode problem on the 840 Pro. The problem is the SATA driver that is installed on the 840 Pro is an IDE driver, which can only be replaced by changing the correct registry entry, which is IastorV. What registry entry have you been modifying, and what is the modification?

Part of your problem is the X79 chipset is a unique device and uses the Intel RSTe AHCI/RAID driver, that is not used by any other Intel PC chipset. Windows 7 does not have a compatible AHCI driver for X79 boards. Windows 8 might have one (storahci) but I'm not sure it is compatible.

If you were very lucky, performing a Windows 8 refresh and when it reboots, set the SATA mode to AHCI in the BIOS, might work, but I have my doubts.

How to refresh, reset, or restore your PC - Windows Help

Repairing the Windows installation by loading the RSTe RAID/AHCI driver with the SATA mode set to AHCI might work.

Depending upon your BIOS version, support for the standard Intel IRST RAID/AHCI driver was added in version 2.30. Do NOT update to this BIOS unless you've already done so successfully, with your Sandy Bridge E processor. If you had this option in your BIOS, the change to AHCI mode might work easily.

Frankly, your best bet is to install Windows 8.1 again with the SATA mode set to AHCI from the start, and install the RSTe RAID/AHCI driver during the installation.

Quote Originally Posted by parsec View Post
    Last things first, I have never seen any manual or guides that suggest installing in IDE mode and then switching to AHCI mode, that makes no sense.
    Sorry about that, what i meant was in all online guides, and references i am told to install in IDE then switch to AHCI. Which i have tried, and also i am still trying.

Frankly, your best bet is to install Windows 8.1 again with the SATA mode set to AHCI from the start, and install the RSTe RAID/AHCI driver during the installation.
    Tried, Failed. I Cannot set to AHCI. I would like to enable UEFI, I would like to flash my graphics cards to enable GOP/ultra fast boot.

I don't understand AHCI. I don't understand UEFI. I am willing to install uninstall reinstall anything if you can help me enable ahci, uefi / gop support.

Please. OR point me to someone who can, this is where i am linked to asrock support is there a better place?
    Windows 8.1 Pro 64bit.
    Xeon E5 - 2650 Gen1. (@ 23x/105bclk)
    Asrock Extreme 3 x79 (2.40)
    Samsung 840 PRO 128gb (Boot) WD 1gb SSHD (Recovery/Junk)
    RipjawZ - 16gb 2133 4x4gb (@1600)
    2 Asus GTX 690 (Quad SLI Latest firmware)
    Thermaltake Toughpower Gold 850w

Quote Originally Posted by Adeptwa View Post
    Sorry about that, what i meant was in all online guides, and references i am told to install in IDE then switch to AHCI. Which i have tried, and also i am still trying.

Tried, Failed. I Cannot set to AHCI. I would like to enable UEFI, I would like to flash my graphics cards to enable GOP/ultra fast boot.

I don't understand AHCI. I don't understand UEFI. I am willing to install uninstall reinstall anything if you can help me enable ahci, uefi / gop support.

Please. OR point me to someone who can, this is where i am linked to asrock support is there a better place?
    Using AHCI mode is simple, I've been doing it with boards/chipsets older than the X79.

First, clear the BIOS/CMOS, and then check that the SATA mode for the Intel SATA ports is set to AHCI. It should be by default.

You MUST install the basic RSTe AHCI/RAID driver during the Windows installation, by choosing Custom install and then use the Load Driver option.

The RSTe AHCI driver, which is the RSTe SATA Floppy Image ver:3.8.0.1111 file on your board's download page, must be copied to a USB flash drive.

This download file must be unzipped and its contents copied to the USB flash drive. The flash drive must be left in the PC during the entire Windows installation, remove it only after the new installation boots up completely for the first time. Put the flash drive into a USB 2.0 port, do not use a USB 3.0 port.

Only have the target OS drive connected (really just connected to power) during the Windows installation. Also be sure it is connected to an Intel SATA port, not one of the ASMedia SATA ports, this is also a must.

The Windows installation must be new and fresh, nothing involved with a recovery or backup like you mentioned in your first post. Your recovery image was based on an IDE installation, and will only restore an IDE installation.

That's really all there is to it, just getting the appropriate AHCI driver installed for the X79 chipset. Frankly, you should not need to do this with Windows 8.1, but since you claim it fails to install in AHCI mode without installing the driver, install it.

Installing Windows for UEFI booting is a completely different topic. If you can't install Windows with an AHCI driver, the chances of installing it in UEFI booting mode are zero.

Does your board's BIOS have a CSM or Secure Boot option? One or the other is required to just enable UEFI booting.

The main thing you must verify for UEFI booting is if your video cards support GOP. Only the card's manufacture can tell you that. They might support GOP with a VBIOS update, that only they can provide. Also, will GOP be supported in SLI mode, again only the manufacture can verify that.

Here's a link to information about creating a UEFI booting Windows installation media. It also has guides about installing in UEFI booting mode. It will at least give you a feeling of what it is all about: UEFI Bootable USB Flash Drive - Create in Windows

WilliamM2 is offline Junior Member

The Windows installation must be new and fresh, nothing involved with a recovery or backup like you mentioned in your first post. Your recovery image was based on an IDE installation, and will only restore an IDE installation.
    Actually, it doesn't need to be a fresh install. I have switched installs from IDE to AHCI, or even when switching SATA controllers (AMD to Intel for example), just by choosing the "install drivers'" option once booted to the recovery CD.

No idea why he can't get a fresh install to work though, unless he's trying to use the wrong driver.

True, but he can't even get the registry fix working to change from IDE to AHCI.

Plus I'm referring to the backups he is using which were done in IDE mode, and we have no idea if a recovery disk exists.

WilliamM2 is offline Junior Member

If a repair CD doesn't exist, he can create one. Control panel > Backup and Restore > Create Repair Disk.

Thread Information