Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Missing BIOS features

Default Re: Missing BIOS features

yes that the one .. I'm sorry .. it was late night .. :)

mrfreeze49 is offline Junior Member

I actually had A-Tuning installed and thought that may have had something to do with the missing features. When back flashing the bios didn't solve the problem I uninstalled A-Tuning. That also did not work. Other suggestions are very welcome.

parsec is offline Senior Member

MrFreeze, did your board have BIOS 1.30 out of the box? Did you run the chipset installation (INF) program, INF driver ver:10.0.13?

Also, did you install the Intel IME software, Intel Management Engine driver ver:10.0.0.1204? I noticed this note in the description for the IME driver download:

Before installing Intel ME driver, please click it to install Windows Update KB2685811.

That is something new I've never noticed before. ASRock has included this note in every OS version's download page, although the MS update only lists Windows 7 and Server 2008 R2: Download Kernel-Mode Driver Framework version 1.11 update for Windows 7, and Windows Server 2008 R2 from Official Microsoft Download Center

pmonroe, given you have the same board and CPU as MrFreeze, and I assume BIOS 1.30, does your OC Tweaker screen show the options MrFreeze is missing?

zawias92 is offline Junior Member

hello. ive got very similar problem, but its with 4690k and extreme4. it came with uefi 1.0. the 'advanced turbo' was missing, so i updated to 1.3 by 'internet flash' uefi option. still 'Load Optimized CPU OC Setting' is the only option i got in oc tweaker

Quote Originally Posted by zawias92 View Post
    hello. ive got very similar problem, but its with 4690k and extreme4. it came with uefi 1.0. the 'advanced turbo' was missing, so i updated to 1.3 by 'internet flash' uefi option. still 'Load Optimized CPU OC Setting' is the only option i got in oc tweaker
    The i5-4690K is also a Devils Canyon processor, so may have the same results in the BIOS as the i7-4790K.

It may be that those options are just not available with Devil's Canyon processors, but only ASRock can tell us that.

I noticed a beta INF file installation progam, which is listed on both the Z97 Extreme 6 and Extreme 4 boards download page, in the Beta section. That might be necessary when using a Devil's Canyon processor.

Quote Originally Posted by parsec View Post
    MrFreeze, did your board have BIOS 1.30 out of the box? Did you run the chipset installation (INF) program, INF driver ver:10.0.13?

Also, did you install the Intel IME software, Intel Management Engine driver ver:10.0.0.1204? I noticed this note in the description for the IME driver download:

Before installing Intel ME driver, please click it to install Windows Update KB2685811.

That is something new I've never noticed before. ASRock has included this note in every OS version's download page, although the MS update only lists Windows 7 and Server 2008 R2: Download Kernel-Mode Driver Framework version 1.11 update for Windows 7, and Windows Server 2008 R2 from Official Microsoft Download Center

pmonroe, given you have the same board and CPU as MrFreeze, and I assume BIOS 1.30, does your OC Tweaker screen show the options MrFreeze is missing?
    Thanks for the input. I verified all the software you list above, including the MS update, are installed. I can't remember if it was 1.20 or 1.30 out of the box. How do I verify if the INF software was installed as it isn't in the programs list? I was very methodical and installed everything in order off the CD so I'm 99% sure the INF was installed. I may re-install it just to be sure. I emailed ASRock 3 days ago and haven't heard back. This shakes my confidence in ASRock. I've been primarily an ASUS/GIGABYTE user in the past and can't recall ever having this kind of issue. I may RMA this board. I do appreciate everyones help and hope a solution will be found. I will post back anything I learn.

Quote Originally Posted by parsec View Post
    The i5-4690K is also a Devils Canyon processor, so may have the same results in the BIOS as the i7-4790K.

It may be that those options are just not available with Devil's Canyon processors, but only ASRock can tell us that.

I noticed a beta INF file installation progam, which is listed on both the Z97 Extreme 6 and Extreme 4 boards download page, in the Beta section. That might be necessary when using a Devil's Canyon processor.
    Thanks. I will download and install the beta INF and see if that does anything.

I installed the beta INF file and no change. BTW, I've also tried clearing CMOS and trying BIOS "B" and no joy. There is a couple of beta BIOS listed at the bottom of the ASRock beta download page, 35D and 35H. Has anyone tried ether of those? I may give one of those a shot before back flashing to 1.20.

Well it just went from bad to worse. After trying the 35H beta bios I no longer have the "Load Optimized CPU OC Settings" either. All 3 options are gone. Back flashing to 1.20 did not fix anything. This UEFI seems very buggy to me. I've had some strange issues even after flashing that fortunately so far have been benign or easily fixable. I'm not sure if flashing the bios is what caused this initially but if I manage to obtain another board and it works %100 I don't think I'll flash it unless I have no choice.

Quote Originally Posted by mrfreeze49 View Post
    Well it just went from bad to worse. After trying the 35H beta bios I no longer have the "Load Optimized CPU OC Settings" either. All 3 options are gone. Back flashing to 1.20 did not fix anything. This UEFI seems very buggy to me. I've had some strange issues even after flashing that fortunately so far have been benign or easily fixable. I'm not sure if flashing the bios is what caused this initially but if I manage to obtain another board and it works %100 I don't think I'll flash it unless I have no choice.
    Oh great, I should have warned you about the beta BIOS listings. Check the release dates on them, they are prior to BIOS 1.20, so no chance of having any Devil's Canyon processor support.

Also, any beta BIOS version is a gamble, much more so than any beta driver, since the BIOS can affect everything. I've flashed to every standard BIOS version release that ASRock provided for my (two) Z77 boards and my Z87 board, never had any problems. With my Z97 board (same as yours) I've had problems just installing 1.30 and 1.33 (RIP), both are unusable to me, immediate "POST loops" as I call it, the PC powers on and off endlessly at two second intervals. I never used a beta BIOS, and never will, regardless of the mother board manufacture.

The "B" BIOS is just the one that came with your board out of the box, in your case 1.20. You can't change it, it is meant to be the back up safety BIOS for recovery. You might want to go through that process again to get you to a stable and clean 1.20.

I keep forgetting what this thread is really about, missing automatic OC options. Personally, I would never use automatic CPU OC options, I clicked on one once or twice and was surprised at the result. Overly high CPU voltage settings and other associated voltages like CPU Input voltage, and fan speed control set to Full On for the CPU, among others.

That's when it dawned on me, auto OC options must take into account the worst case scenarios, meaning poorly over clocking processors. Every CPU is slightly different, down to its standard operating voltage at stock clock speed. Each processor will have its own OC limits, including Devil's Canyon. So these auto OC settings, which are just a list of settings, a profile like we can save ourselves in the Tools section, must use over compensating settings so they will work with the widest range of processors. I would not trust these settings to be optimal in terms of lowest CPU voltage for an OC for example, they simply can't be.

Have we verified that the Auto OC options that no longer exist when using a DC processor are really supposed to be listed in the BIOS? They might not be available, since DC processors are intended for over clocking enthusiasts. The first time you start the board with a DC processor (or any really), and then also immediately start the BIOS UI, the BIOS has not yet adjusted itself to fit that processor. The next time you start the BIOS UI, things may be different, as you found. I noticed that myself after putting a Pentium Anniversary processor in my Z87 board, the BIOS options were somewhat different (an understatement) after the first start up.

All I'm saying is, the number of Auto OC options you see now may be all that are provided at this point for DC processors. You can't point to the manual as a reference, that has the usual caveat about options changing without notice, etc, sorry to say. Only ASRock can confirm this for us, unless another DC processor user with BIOS 1.30 can tell us what auto OC options they have.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information