Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Missing BIOS features

mrfreeze49 is offline Junior Member

Default Re: Missing BIOS features

You make valid points. It makes me wonder why ASRock wouldn't include somewhere in the manual that you may lose or gain features based on your cpu or other hardware configurations. I wish ASRock could confirm this as it would at minimum give me peace of mind. I used the 1.30 Windows executable to flash the bios again and the Load Optimized CPU OC Settings option is back. The other 2 features are still not present.

parsec is offline Senior Member

I'm glad to see you have an open mind about this, I do not at all enjoy bringing possibly bad news to you on this subject. Also, my opinion about automatic OC options does not mean other people should not have them or use them. If they are an advertised feature, they should be there, and if not at least a confirmation that they won't be in this case is the polite thing to do, rather than having customers struggling to get them back if it is impossible.

IMO, you are experiencing something I've seen occasionally over several years time, from multiple mother board and other PC hardware manufactures. That is, a seemingly "the less said, the better" stance when it comes to providing information about things that may be controversial, or would cause some customers to be less than happy. By not confirming the situation or issue, the question in the user's mind remains, "is it something I'm doing wrong", and the manufacture is not known to be responsible.

Actually, I should be giving you some coaching about performing your own CPU OC. It is not that difficult, and as long as you are not trying to achieve the highest CPU OC possible with perfect stability, you can be successful. You don't need to understand and use every option in the OC Tweaker screen to perform a OC. You can also use whatever automatic OC option you have now, if only to give you an idea about what options are used and their settings. IMO, the other options that are missing are just higher over clocks that you may not want to use, due to the trade offs that are a reality of any OC. Those are higher CPU temperatures and greater stress on the CPU, mother board, and power supply. Meaning it is just not worth it unless you enjoy posting your OC skills in forums and competitions.

BTW, what CPU cooler are you using?

Thanks again parsec for all your help. I've always built my own pc's and enjoy playing around with settings. I always do a lot of research and reading, buy good quality components and usually start my adjustments based on what others say works best. I never go for max overclock as I want stability over all else. Over the next few days I will try a couple more things to see if there is improvement but right now all is stable. My GPU OC and Advance Turbo features are still missing but I may be able to make do as things are. I'll update the thread if I learn anything new.

off chance .. can you check with CPUZ that your 4790 is a K ... maybe that the problem.

mrfreeze, in case you are not aware of this tool, Intel has free software for over clocking their processors, called the Intel Extreme Tuning Utility:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Det...24075&lang=eng

I definitely suggest trying this if you want to learn how to OC your 4790K processor. It has a general guide to over clocking, on the System Information page there is a small line in blue text, "How do I overclock with it?", which when clicked opens a Window with that information. It also has monitoring information for CPU and core temperatures, CPU Core Voltage, and many others. It has a built in stress testing capability for testing an OC. If an OC fails while stress testing, in some cases this program can catch the failure before a BSOD occurs, not always but I've seen it do so.

You won't get every option available in the BIOS, but all the main ones are present and you can change and apply them in Windows without a reboot. Any changes you make are not applied to the BIOS, just in the session of IXTU. You can save any OC settings that work in profiles that you can activate any time, and even associate an OC profile with a particular application/program (App-Profile Pairing) that will become active any time you run the program.

I should have told you about this sooner, that is if you've never heard of it. Hardcore over clocker's tend to dismiss it, but IMO it is quite useful and has some great features. Any Windows OC utility programs like A-Tuning or those from other mother board manufactures actually use the underlying capabilities that IXTU provides, which were created or made possible by Intel.

It's definitely a K. It's on the CPU and the UEFI reports it as a K.

Quote Originally Posted by parsec View Post
    mrfreeze, in case you are not aware of this tool, Intel has free software for over clocking their processors, called the Intel Extreme Tuning Utility:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Det...24075&lang=eng

I definitely suggest trying this if you want to learn how to OC your 4790K processor. It has a general guide to over clocking, on the System Information page there is a small line in blue text, "How do I overclock with it?", which when clicked opens a Window with that information. It also has monitoring information for CPU and core temperatures, CPU Core Voltage, and many others. It has a built in stress testing capability for testing an OC. If an OC fails while stress testing, in some cases this program can catch the failure before a BSOD occurs, not always but I've seen it do so.

You won't get every option available in the BIOS, but all the main ones are present and you can change and apply them in Windows without a reboot. Any changes you make are not applied to the BIOS, just in the session of IXTU. You can save any OC settings that work in profiles that you can activate any time, and even associate an OC profile with a particular application/program (App-Profile Pairing) that will become active any time you run the program.

I should have told you about this sooner, that is if you've never heard of it. Hardcore over clocker's tend to dismiss it, but IMO it is quite useful and has some great features. Any Windows OC utility programs like A-Tuning or those from other mother board manufactures actually use the underlying capabilities that IXTU provides, which were created or made possible by Intel.
    Thanks. I tried the Intel utility with my last system but it would crash when I tried to use it. I may give another try since this is a completely different system and the utility has surely been updated. A bit of good news. ASRock tech support has emailed me with a request to detail my problem. I've emailed them back and hope to hear something soon.

Great that ASRock has contacted you, please let us know of any reply, etc, you receive from them.

I've used the new version of IXTU on my ASRock Z87 and Z97 boards, works fine for me.

I'm having fun with IXTU and a G3258 in my Z87 Extreme 6 board. I know many enthusiasts hate Windows over clocking programs, but how can you compare IXTU to any of the utilities mother board manufactures provide? I actually enjoy playing with the G3258 more than my i5 or i7 CPUs.

I've also learned a few things, or should say tried what I read vs what I "should" be doing. Intel states that CPU Input voltage is optimally 0.4V above the (max) VCore/VID. The "acceptable range" is 0.4V - 0.6V. above VCore/VID. Above 0.6V difference is unnecessary, and stressful to the CPU's voltage regulator components.

Meanwhile, some people are using 1.9 - 2.0V for CPU input voltage, for ~1.3V VCore/VID (check your Auto OC settings for CPU Input Voltage.) I have my G3258 at 4.0GHz, both cores, cache at 3.4GHz, VCore/VID of 1.12V. I have my CPU Input voltage below 1.6V (1.568 - 1.584), and it passes stress tests, boots fine, etc. I should be able to go lower, but I let a new value work for a day or two, and then reduce it. I haven't hit bottom yet!

If done correctly, a Windows program can change the registers in a CPU just as well as it is done in a UEFI/BIOS program. Yes, some Windows over clocking programs are/were poor.

Some of ASRock's (sorry) early versions (Z77 days) of A-Tuning were terrible. You would adjust one parameter on the screen, and when applied it would take the current values of ALL the parameters on the screen, and apply them to the CPU, etc. If CPU power saving options were enabled, the CPU multiplier would be displayed as 16 (SpeedStep), while the core multiplier was set to 44 in the UEFI. The program would apply the multiplier of 16 to the CPU, or whatever it was at that moment (between 44 and 16), oh what a mess!

I have good news. John from ASRock TSD explained that those 2 features missing from the OC Tweaker page are only available when using onboard graphics. As soon as you plug in a discrete VGA card they are no longer available. I verified this by temporarily enabling the IGPU Multi-Monitor option under "Chipset Configuration". Once I did that, saved and rebooted, the missing features were back. Of course now that I know their true function I disabled IGPU MM as I only use 1 monitor. I am relieved and feeling a bit more confident with this board and UEFI.

Something I haven't mentioned until now is I am still missing the CSM menu option. At this point I am thinking that there is a simple explanation for that as well. I have asked John and hope to hear back soon. If anyone here has an answer, do tell.

Thanks again to parsec and godto for all your help. I truly appreciate it.

glad i could help .... beside i do learn a lot from every one too ... every time i got new board you guy will see me in here a lot to learn from every one experience.

good luck and enjoy your new comp.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information