Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: OC'ing Guide for the Z97 Extreme6/4790K?

Ken429 is offline Senior Member

Default Re: OC'ing Guide for the Z97 Extreme6/4790K?

Things are going down hill! I tried using the Vcore Voltage Additional Offset of -.02V and that worked EXCEPT it lowered the idle voltage from .805V to .785V. I don't know where the 4790K stalls but... Next I tried putting the Offset back to Auto and changed the CPU Vcore Adaptive Voltage to 1.18V and that had no effect - the Vcore under load was still 1.229-1.239V. So I set the Vcore Adaptive Voltage to Auto and guess what - the Vcore under load was 1.229-1.239V! Time to buy an ASUS MB?!

Or...is it P1.33? I can't find it on the ASRock site. Did they pull it because of problems?
    Last edited by Ken429; 07-27-2014 at 05:18 AM.

the same here with adaptive voltage. i use fix voltage and set lower limit .. seem to work great. i do use adaptive on GT clock(i think it video mhz). but one thing i do is set adaptive voltage and go into MB to see what they bump it up to .. then i get an idea of my max voltage ever be. it a guide for me to not over voltage. hehehe

BTW I'm on 4.6 now ... the temp little high on IBT 92-93c .... will try little more if can't get the temp under 90c , if not then i go back down to 4.5

parsec is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ken429 View Post
    Things are going down hill! I tried using the Vcore Voltage Additional Offset of -.02V and that worked EXCEPT it lowered the idle voltage from .805V to .785V. I don't know where the 4790K stalls but... Next I tried putting the Offset back to Auto and changed the CPU Vcore Adaptive Voltage to 1.18V and that had no effect - the Vcore under load was still 1.229-1.239V. So I set the Vcore Adaptive Voltage to Auto and guess what - the Vcore under load was 1.229-1.239V! Time to buy an ASUS MB?!

Or...is it P1.33? I can't find it on the ASRock site. Did they pull it because of problems?
    Not to worry, the reduction in VCore at idle when using Adaptive voltage is normal, that is one of the features of Adaptive voltage. With CPU power saving options enabled (C-States, EIST) using Adaptive voltage, the CPU frequency is 800MHz, and I've had my VCore/VID below 0.650V. On boards that derive a true VCore (or attempt to, who knows if it is right) can show a CPU voltage at idle using Adaptive of 0.200V or less!

Haswell processors are very different than earlier Intel processors, don't think everything that was true in the past about Intel processors still applies, it doesn't. I see Haswell CPU Package power (the entire CPU) use at idle below one Watt.

I wanted to upload a picture of HWiNFO readings of my Z87/G3258 PC's voltage and power readings using Adaptive voltage, but once again the forum's picture uploading capability is broken (tells me a jpg and png file is an invalid image type) so I can't.

UEFI/BIOS P1.33 is history, removed for officially unknown reasons, unofficially many users complained about it. But I guarantee that using 1.30 or 1.20 won't change the idle Adaptive voltage, it is supposed to be that low, completely normal and fine.

parsec,
    OK, I'll use the Offset to lower the Vcore. I suppose ~1.20V under load is OK for 24-7. We'll see what happens when I try to push the multiplier to 48x.

The other question I had was...it appears that the "CPU Vcore Adaptive Voltage" has no purpose! Changing it from 1.20V to 1.18V had no effect? I'll go back to P1.20 and see if that changes the BIOS behavior.

I'm still looking for the flaw(s) in P1.33. Normally I stumble into every issue that exists. Since I got my wrist slapped for asking why P1.33 was pulled it would be nice to know who was having what kind of problems that were posted on this site. Just curious, is there another Forum for ASRock MB users?

Quote Originally Posted by Ken429 View Post
    parsec,
    OK, I'll use the Offset to lower the Vcore. I suppose ~1.20V under load is OK for 24-7. We'll see what happens when I try to push the multiplier to 48x.

The other question I had was...it appears that the "CPU Vcore Adaptive Voltage" has no purpose! Changing it from 1.20V to 1.18V had no effect? I'll go back to P1.20 and see if that changes the BIOS behavior.

I'm still looking for the flaw(s) in P1.33. Normally I stumble into every issue that exists. Since I got my wrist slapped for asking why P1.33 was pulled it would be nice to know who was having what kind of problems that were posted on this site. Just curious, is there another Forum for ASRock MB users?
    I hope you're not referring to anything that I said about your question about that. If so, that was not my intent at all. All I tried to say about that topic in general was, no one does it. That does not mean I think it's the right thing to do, but I can understand some of the implications that a manufacture may want to avoid if they did. But as the disclaimer associated with BIOS updates states:

We don’t recommend users to update the BIOS if their system is already running normally. ASRock® assumes no responsibility for any damages caused by improper operations of downloading or updating the BIOS.

Other user issues with 1.33? As I recall, random/spontaneous Windows Sleep occurring (wait, that was you), unable to enter Sleep, PC starting from shutdown by moving mouse or touching any key on keyboard.

Apparently you don't believe me, but Adaptive voltage is unique to Haswell processors, and its behavior is different that any other Intel processor voltage setting. Adaptive is a good name for it, it adapts the CPU voltage to the situation the processor finds itself in. At idle it decreases the CPU voltage lower than any other Intel CPU can continue running on. Did you ever hear about how some PSUs are not compatible with Haswell processors, since they can use so little power that the load on the PSU is so low, the 12V rail will go out of ATX spec, and cause the PSU's OVP to activate and shut it off? During certain stressful situations (AVX 2 instructions) it increases the CPU voltage beyond the settings in the BIOS. If you don't like it, don't use it, many OC enthusiasts don't like it. Personally, I use it and like it. You should have seen Adaptive voltage before we had negative Adaptive offsets, that was not good IMO.

You seem to think that Adaptive voltage behaves as it does due to ASRock's BIOS having bugs. You can try another manufacture's board, but I predict you'll find it is no different. Perhaps BIOS 1.33 is buggy with Adaptive voltage, I've never used 1.33.

Things can change in the way a processor generation behaves, and how it is over clocked. We don't (can't) OC like we did in the Nehalem and Core 2 processor days, and Haswell has changed that a bit again with Adaptive voltage.

Don't forget that a Haswell compatible mother board is not providing/creating the VCore voltage for a Haswell processor, or most of the other voltages a mobo provided to a processor in the past. VCore and other voltages are created by the FIVR voltage regulators in a Haswell processor. The only voltages provided by a Haswell compatible mother board for the CPU are CPU Input Voltage, and DDR Memory voltage.

The vast majority of people OCing Haswell processors above ~4.4GHz use more than 1.2V for their VCore. You might want to check some of the threads in this forum about Haswell over clocking: Intel CPUs

Another ASRock forum? Yes there is another, check this page: ASRock > Forum

parsec,
    No, the "slap on the wrist" comment was my incorrect response to wardog. I mistook his signature statements to mean I needed to include my signature to ask a question about the disappearance of P1.33. When I go back and look at the thread he gave me a reasonable answer which was a link to another thread.

Back to my OC'ing saga. I noticed when running the Intel Extreme Utilities that the Cache Ratio was 40x vs the 46x I had set for the CPU multiplier. Since I had the Cache Ratio set to Auto it looks like the BIOS was saying the CPU could not handle the Cache memory at the same multiplier as the CPU. It was correct, I manually set it to 46x and the stress test crashed! According to the ASUS OC'ing video this is not uncommon especially with 2400 memory. I don't know if there is any option I have other than accept 40X?

In a previous comment I stated that the "CPU Vcore Adaptive Voltage" setting has no effect when the CPU was set to 46X. The actual voltage always ended up a 1.229-1.239V when the system was under load. That changed when I increased the CPU multiplier to 47X and then to 48X. When I increased the CPU Vcore Adaptive Voltage the actual voltage under load increased accordingly. Unfortunately, I was up to 1.30V (~1.31V Actual) and the system was still not totally stable at 48X. Some of the stress tests ran OK but RealBench2.2 crashed. So much for the 1.275V in the ASUS video - I guess I don't have that great of a processor after all or...? The good news is the maximum Core Temps did not exceed 65C, at least according to RealTemp TI and AIDA64, so if I really want to brag about a stable 48X I got room to move on the voltage? However, as always seems to be the case with the last couple of generations of Intel CPU's, the slight increase in performance ain't worth the effort or wear and tear on the system.
    Last edited by Ken429; 07-28-2014 at 05:32 PM.

I need HELP !!!!

this OC drive me up the wall. I'm almost almost there. Here what happen. I OC mine to 4.5, 4.6 .. everything stable in Aida,Intel Extreme, IBT, OCT.
    On 4.6 the max temp in IBT go up to 92c .. that still OK but i decide to go back down to 4.5 for everyday use. but here is the kicker.
    in 4.5 my Max temp in IBT Standard mode only 82c , and IBT Max it go up to 84c .. these are on 20 run ... the temp to me is OK ( IBT always run hot).
    AIDA, Intel Extreme, OCCT large... I Run them for 2 hours each and they all pass .. max temp on OCT is 77c .. the other 2 is a lot lower.
    my VCore is at 1.160 ... great voltage ... but ...

here come the really kicker ... when i do OCCT-small at 1.6v the temp is under 78c ... wow.. BUT i was only run it for 1/2 hour only. During all my OC I just do a quick stress test on all 4 software just 1/2 to see if they stable .... when I'm finish then i run 2 to 3 hours stress test again to make sure.
    the OCCT-small when I run 2 hours they crash at 32 min .... i then go adjust my voltage... and the last 2 day i been moving up slowly from 1.16 to 1.1714 now ( i just move .005 because i figure I'm almost there) and as of now it CRASH at 1hour 54 min ...
    here what i change from

Cache from 40x down to 38x
    Vcore from 1.60 to 1.1714
    Cache voltage from 1.80 to 1.20 ( and I just lower the cache because i don't want to up the voltage)
    Input voltage from 1.85 to 1.92
    Ram from 1.50v to 1.60v go up slowly by .025 at a time ( I OC my ram little from 1600@ 1.35v to 1866 @ 1.50v ... my SPD also rate my ram for 1.50v)

This OCCT small is stress a lot on ram so i been change Ram and Cache .. and just add little more to Input Voltage
    any suggestion be great .. I know i'm on the right track because every time i adjust the time it crash getting longer from 10min, then 16 ,,,19,,,23,,,27,,,32,, 40,,, 58 ,,, 1h10min ,,, and now it up to almost 2 hours stable.

BTW. the max temp go up to 82c now on OCCT and IBT with all the voltage I'm add to Vcore

imagine every time it crash i have to wait almost 2 hours to hope it not crash then it start all over the next 2 hours ..( have very little sleep the last 2 day)

I'm stress test right now ... only been 32 min ... hehehe

wish me luck and keep your leg cross.
    Last edited by godto; 07-28-2014 at 06:15 PM. Reason: typo

Hey I just past 2 hours and 8 min 23 second .... if this work hope in can start lower my Vcore,,,

so every one .. keep everything cross,,, hehehehehehehe

just another 50 min to go before i can start OC again.

NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO. NO, NO, NO, NO,

DAM! DAM! DAM! AHHHHHHHHHHH ..... only made it to 2 hours and 16 min ... i was happy too soon ... see you all in 3 hours ... here we go again
    Last edited by godto; 07-28-2014 at 07:53 PM.

Ken429, Ok good about the wrist slap thing, just checking.

I'm no OCing expert, but the thing about the cache ratio you found is correct given what I've read. The OC guides in the OCN forums have determined (or decided) that increasing the cache ratio affects how much the core ratio(s) can be increased, and that the cache speed/ratio is not as important for performance as the core ratios are. They all say, "core is king", and when OCing the core, leave the cache ratio at stock speed/ratio. Once you have your core OC done, then you can try increasing the cache speed. Same thing for the memory speed, leave it at the standard rated speed or less, and increase it later if possible.

Your need to significantly increase the core voltage as the core OC increases is also standard Haswell stuff. No time now, more later...

what you guy think of my OC?

I'm now stable at 4.5 with fix 1.185v ( offset -.005)

temp max on all tress test 4 to 8 hours depend on test
    prime95 small = 83c
    OCCT small = 83c
    IBT standard = 86c ( always hotter)
    IntellExtremeUlti = 72c
    Aida = 78c

funny thing is my vcore is 1.185v and input voltage only 1.776v
    but my temp is still so high

my question is do you think this Ok for 24/7 or i should lower to 4.4 ?
    yeah also... i read in few places that after OC is good and stable then i can turn on Adaptive voltage.
    will adaptive mess up my OC?
    Last edited by godto; 08-03-2014 at 08:48 AM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information