Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Z77 Extreme 6 Etron Usb 3.0 issues

Default Z77 Extreme 6 Etron Usb 3.0 issues

I've had the Z77 Extreme 6 for over a year now and the 2 Etron usb 3.0 ports have never worked, not even in Bios. Today i was testing some things and noticed my bios version 2.8 is reading my Etron usb 3.0 chip as an Asmedia usb 3.0 chip. Over the last year i've tried most of the bios versions out for this board with no luck of getting the ETron usb 3.0 ports to work. I feel like i may of stumbled on something and came here for help. Maybe a certain bios version i'm not aware of to correct this issue? I'm posting for suggestions on getting my ETron usb 3.0 ports to work.

Cheers

Z77 Extreme 6 Etron Usb 3.0 issues-img_1365-jpg

ASROCK Z77 Extreme 6 bios version 2.8
    Intel i5-3570k
    8 GB Gskill F3-12800cl9D-4gbrl
    AMD Radeon HD 6870
    750W Power Supply
    Running Windows 7 x64
    Last edited by gpnewroads; 07-22-2014 at 12:09 PM. Reason: Listing hardware

parsec is offline Senior Member

Default Re: Z77 Extreme 6 Etron Usb 3.0 issues

Yes that is an interesting find, and would be quite a mistake if your Extreme 6 board actually was manufactured with the ASMedia 1042 USB 3.0 chip.

Related to this, my ASR Z77 Extreme 4 board has the ASMedia 1042 USB 3.0 chip, which BTW works fine. You could try to install the driver from my board's download page for the ASMedia 1042, for a test, it will fail and quit if it can't find that chip, or I would hope so.

But I would not be surprised if what you are seeing is a copy and paste error on ASRock's part, I've been seeing that a lot lately. Meaning that the chip identities are hard coded in the System Browser utility, and you board's BIOS has that error copied from another board, like mine.

Quote Originally Posted by parsec View Post
    Yes that is an interesting find, and would be quite a mistake if your Extreme 6 board actually was manufactured with the ASMedia 1042 USB 3.0 chip.

Related to this, my ASR Z77 Extreme 4 board has the ASMedia 1042 USB 3.0 chip, which BTW works fine. You could try to install the driver from my board's download page for the ASMedia 1042, for a test, it will fail and quit if it can't find that chip, or I would hope so.

But I would not be surprised if what you are seeing is a copy and paste error on ASRock's part, I've been seeing that a lot lately. Meaning that the chip identities are hard coded in the System Browser utility, and you board's BIOS has that error copied from another board, like mine.
    The chip doesn't work, not even in bios. It does give off power though, lol. It is a Etron chip for sure as it says so on the chip ;). I was thinking more on the lines of my bios giving the wrong software for the chip. Guess that's unlikely and wishful thinking.

parsec is offline Senior Member

I can't blame you for hoping, and I think I see your point. The BIOS thinks the chip is ASMedia, when it's not. An interesting theory, not sure if it would work that way. You'd think everyone with your board and BIOS version would have your problem, and we're not seeing that in this forum AFAIK.

I noticed a beta driver for the Etron chip on your board's download page, ever try that one?

Do you recall running the chipset/INF file installation program, INF driver ver:9.3.0.1019, on your board's download page?

A moderator here, wardog, has the same board as you do, I'm curious about how his Etron USB 3.0 ports work.

SandsOfTime is offline Member

I also have a Z77 Extreme6 with BIOS 2.80, the system browser shows the same wrong ASMedia USB3 controller. But on my mobo, the Etron works without any problem. The driver version is 1.0.0.119

Z77 Extreme 6 Etron Usb 3.0 issues-etron-jpg

Joe-912 is offline Member

Mine also shows ASMedia USB3 controller in bios browser, but same as above in Device manager, and all usb ports work fine...
    Asus Maximus 7 Hero > Corsair Obsidian 750d Airflow > Intel 4790K > Noctua NH-D15 > 16GB G-skill Sniper 2133 > Samsung SM951 256GB > Sandisk X400 512GB > Western digital black Sata 6 500GB > Western digital black 640GB > Windows 10 Pro 64 > Asus 27" MX279H Monitor > Gibabyte GTX 980Ti extreme

The current Etron EJ1x8 drivers, revision 0.0118, can be downloaded from Etron directly HERE.

I'm on BIOS 2.60 and my Dev Mgr screen shows as Joes and SandsOfTimes does, as Etron. Curiously, in the BIOSes System Browser it shows up as ASMedia 1042.

I'd say ASRock needs to clean up its BIOS code across a few BIOS revisions of the Extreme6. It's the BIOS itself that generat(es)(ed) what's displayed in the BIOSes System Browser.

OP, what does your USB tree look like in Dev Mgr? Etron i'm guessing as that's what the chip should report, not ASMedia as the BIOS "shows'.

Also, you did load the Etron driver, right? And it's enabled in the BIOS?
    #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
    ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - G.Skill RAM Configurator for your boardSamsung Memory for your boardLatest AMD Chipset Drivers/WindowsLatest AMD Graphics Drivers/WindowsLatest Intel Drivers

#3 - Please use the eXtreme Outer Vision Power Supply Calculator found HERE to determine if it might be your PSU at issue.
    ____Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

CRRacer is offline Junior Member

I have this board in one of my computers, I'll check it out tonight.
    Rod

ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ASUS Sabertooth Z77
    i7-2600k i7-2600k
    G-Skill 16GB Ripjaw X DDR3 1866 G-Skill 16GB Sniper DDR3 1866
    Cooler Master 692 II Advanced USB 3.0 Cooler Master 692 II Advanced USB 2.0
    EVGA GTX670FTW Sig2 EVGA 2XGTX560Ti FPB SLI
    Corsair HX850 Silver Plus Cooler Master Silent Pro 850
    Crucial M4 128GB SSD Samsung 830 128GB SSD

Thanks for the replies guys but its not a driver issue sadly. These 2 ports have been dead since I got the board.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by gpnewroads View Post
    Thanks for the replies guys but its not a driver issue sadly. These 2 ports have been dead since I got the board.
    I'd say its time for an RMA then. Or live with it in this condition.
    #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
    ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - G.Skill RAM Configurator for your boardSamsung Memory for your boardLatest AMD Chipset Drivers/WindowsLatest AMD Graphics Drivers/WindowsLatest Intel Drivers

#3 - Please use the eXtreme Outer Vision Power Supply Calculator found HERE to determine if it might be your PSU at issue.
    ____Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information