Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Asrock z97 extreme 9 with 2 290x - How many lanes left for a m2 SSD?

Default Re: Asrock z97 extreme 9 with 2 290x - How many lanes left for a m2 SSD?

I created a little visualisiation chart with paint to show it pretty clear:

The effective rates are the max allowed multi casted uplink bandwidth to the PXE!

Now an 2011 without a PLX will give you "only" the same efficiently than 115* with PLX, while a 2011 with PLX will only give you 16x uplink... but not increase the speed of the SLI-card-links internally.... for go up 16,16,16,16 you would need TWO PLX-chips but there is no real use for that at all ... not even with Maxwell-Enthusiast Quad-SLI with LN2-cooling :D
    Last edited by Incriminated; 08-23-2014 at 05:31 PM.

Default Re: Asrock z97 extreme 9 with 2 290x - How many lanes left for a m2 SSD?

And just for completion, heres what terrible things turn out to happen on 2011 when you try to build it with an M.2-Ultra without an PLX:

Effective rates are max allowed single cast uplink-bandwith over each port simoultaneously in the given multi-GPU setup.

No more Quad-SLI, thanks to Nvidia claiming 4x Gen3 (~4Gb/s) wouldn't be enough so better safely not allow enabling it ...lol and it's slower than 115* with PLX on uplink and on the primary SLI-cards-PCIemodes in dual and triple.

So comparing 32x lanes of non-PLXed 2011-socket with only 16x lanes but PLXed 115*-socket turns out total loss without PLX in all SLI-variants. no matter it has double times the PCIe Gen3 lanes.... the PLX is better because it can multicast 8x lanes from the CPU input-side up to 32-lanes on it's output side... what simply is double times better in Quad-SLI (quadruple multi-cast) than just having double times the lanes on the CPU-side.

So from my point of view, the 1150 with PLX plus M.2-Ultra over its 16 Gen3 Lanes is absolute perfectly alright and save for maxwell Quad-SLI... ready for 4k-60-hz, ready for WQHD-144hz... even in 3D-Surround setup with 3 displays! You definetly dont need 2011 for that. And to gain really gain more than 1% performance on next generation graphic card you might consider a 2011 with 2 PLXs.

I would consider 2011 at all only if theres a need for higher memory bandwith that the haswell devils-canyon cannot satisy in dual-chan and/or if the need for a higher amount of cores for your whatever related pupose really exists, because of its high-price per performance. In all other cases, especially gaming-cases, i suggest you to get a 1150 with PLX an overclocked devils-k and that amount of high end GPUs that you can afford ... its just about dealing most impact with your money for "casual"-gaming of all kind, not spending excesses amount of money for things that do not even carry a noticeable or even measurable advantage or even have disadvantages compared to cheaper setups! :D

By all of that the ASRock Z97 Extreme 9 actually is state-of-the-art/bleeding-edge... because of beeing only one properly providing M.2@32Gbps AND still beeing able to go Quad-SLI without noticeable performance-loss, compared to reference 2011...thanks to the PLX, not to even mention that what you get for your money spending on a 1150 is the best feature-canon you can get and when you go buy a different brand for the same money, you wont even get any of this essential "next gen" specials, PLXes on 115* are not that common. And there's even more on the table... thunderbolt, dual-gbit lan just to mention other ones.

Its called extreme for a reason :D
    Last edited by Incriminated; 08-23-2014 at 05:30 PM.

Thumbs up Re: Asrock z97 extreme 9 with 2 290x - How many lanes left for a m2 SSD?

I got my Samsung M2 and i am very satisfied with it.
    I couldnt install win8 on it, but tried it only 1 time.
    The speed is awesome and is noticable faster than my older
    SSDs. I would definitly buy it again.

Thanks a lot for the good help.

parsec is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Incriminated View Post
    And just for completion, heres what terrible things turn out to happen on 2011 when you try to build it with an M.2-Ultra without an PLX:

Effective rates are max allowed single cast uplink-bandwith over each port simoultaneously in the given multi-GPU setup.

No more Quad-SLI, thanks to Nvidia claiming 4x Gen3 (~4Gb/s) wouldn't be enough so better safely not allow enabling it ...lol and it's slower than 115* with PLX on uplink and on the primary SLI-cards-PCIemodes in dual and triple.

So comparing 32x lanes of non-PLXed 2011-socket with only 16x lanes but PLXed 115*-socket turns out total loss without PLX in all SLI-variants. no matter it has double times the PCIe Gen3 lanes.... the PLX is better because it can multicast 8x lanes from the CPU input-side up to 32-lanes on it's output side... what simply is double times better in Quad-SLI (quadruple multi-cast) than just having double times the lanes on the CPU-side...
    Wait a second, all current socket 2011 High End Desktop Processors have 40 PCIe lanes, not 32: Intel® High End Desktop Processors

Asrock z97 extreme 9 with 2 290x - How many lanes left for a m2 SSD?-2011-pcie-lanes-png

Where is your 32 PCIe lanes number coming from?

So, given 40 PCIe lanes from socket 2011 processors, Dual SLI is 16x + 16x + an Ultra M.2 x4 slot = 36 PCIe lanes used.

Socket 2011 processor Triple SLI is 16x + 8x + 8x + an Ultra M.2 x4 slot = 36 PCIe lanes used. Both Dual and Triple could have two Ultra M.2 x4 slots.

Socket 2011 processor Quad SLI is 16x + 8x + 8x + 4x + an Ultra M.2 x4 slot = 40 PCIe lanes used. Quad SLI at 16x 8x 8x 4x + Ultra M.2 works.

If we really want to go extreme, look at the X79 Extreme 11 board, with two PLX PEX8747 bridges. That board with 7 x PCIe 3.0 x16 slots provides x16/0/16/0/16/0/16 mode or x16/8/8/8/8/8/8 mode.

A PLX PEX8747 bridge does not add any PCIe lanes, as you know, but multiplexes (switches) them between the source (CPU) and clients (video cards, M.2 SSDs, etc). So the PLX chip cannot create any more bandwidth than it is provided to work with, but is apparently capable of distributing some or all of that bandwidth in turn to each device in a multiple device array, without any side affects.

I would think any latency introduced by a PLX chip would be less likely to affect an Ultra M.2 SSD, since it won't use all its bandwidth potential 99% of the time. M.2 SSDs used in the standard M.2 slot use PCIe lanes from the board's chipset, so they do not affect PCIe lane allocation to video cards.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information