Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Windows 7 freezes while installing programs

Question Windows 7 freezes while installing programs

Hello,
    I'm having a puzzling issue that I can't solve. I've recently built a new computer (specs listed below), and all of a sudden Windows 7 has started to freeze while installing programs. It first happened when I was re-installing Cubase 5.5.3. Since then, the freezes occur during random installs. For example, I can install the drivers for my MOTU audio interface and my ATI video card. But the system dies at the end of the installation of DVDFab9159US.exe, for example. And yes, all my software is legit.

I booted in Safe Mode and tried the installation, but the result was the same. The installer launches, goes through the motions and just as it reaches the end, the system freezes. The mouse won't respond, the keyboard is inactive, etc. ... I have to press the reset button on my case to reboot. Any suggestion is greatly appreciated.

System specs:
    Window 7 64-bit with SP1, up to date as of 08/17/2014
    ASRock Z97 Extreme 4 motherboard with v1.30 BIOS
    i7 4790k Devils's Canyon CPU @ 4 GHz with Noctua heatsink and fan
    Samsung 850 Pro SSD (main system drive)
    two Western Digital drive in RAID 0 mode, 128 kb stripe
    32 GB of RAM GSkill Trident X 1600 CAS 7
    Radeon 4870 HD video card with Catalyst 13.9 drivers

Thanks in advance.

parsec is offline Senior Member

Default Re: Windows 7 freezes while installing programs

I'm not certain this Windows update will help you, and you may already have it installed, but worth checking:

Download Kernel-Mode Driver Framework version 1.11 update for Windows 7, and Windows Server 2008 R2 from Official Microsoft Download Center

I have exactly this problem too. I just reformatted my hard drive, and when i try to install any drivers it just freezes by the end. I really need help because I cant do anything with that computer until the problem is solved.

I suggest you run a memory test. See if your box crashes again. If it does then you know you should replace your ram. I would also check the SMART info on your HDD and make sure you don't have too many bad sectors. Finally I would look at your CPU temp while installing programs or any other CPU intensive operation.

EDIT: Run these tests using a linux live disk to rule out your OS being an issue.
    Last edited by nickram; 10-24-2014 at 01:27 AM.

Thread Information